Structure constants of a group antisymmetric?

In summary: It just follows from the definition. If you interchange i and j in the computation, you get a minus sign.
jason12345
First, how do you put in spaces without them being deleted when i post?

How does one show that the structure constants, [tex]c^{k}_{ij}[/tex] of a group are antisymmetric? The context is from page 12 of Anderson's "Principles of Relativity Physics", with the statement right at the bottom:

With u = 1,2,3,4 and ',' denoting partial differentiation so ,u means [tex]\frac{\partial }{\partial x^{u}}[/tex]

The commutator structure of this group can be written as:

[tex]\zeta^{u}(x) = \epsilon^{i}f^{u}_{i}-----i = 1,2,...,N,-----(1)[/tex]

Where the [tex]\epsilon^{i}[/tex] are the group parameters. Our basic requirement is that the commutator of two such infinitesimal mappings must again be of this form. We find for this commutator:

[tex]\zeta^{u}_{3} = (\epsilon^{i}_{2}\epsilon^{j}_{1}-\epsilon^{i}_{1}\epsilon^{j}_{2})f^{u}_{i,v}f^{v}_{j}-----(2)[/tex]

In order that it be of the form (1) the functions [tex]f^{u}_{i}[/tex] must be related to each other by an equation of the form:

[tex]f^{u}_{i,v}f^{v}_{j} = c^{k}_{ij}f^{u}_{k}-----(3)[/tex]

Where the [tex]c^{k}_{ij}[/tex]are constants independent of the [tex]\epsilon^{i}[/tex] and the [tex]x^{u}[/tex] .

they are called the structure constants of the group and serve to characterize it in

a manner that is independent of the particular form taken by the [tex]f^{u}_{i}[/tex].

If we substitute (3) back into (2) we obtain:

[tex]\zeta^{u}_{3} = (\epsilon^{i}_{2}\epsilon^{j}_{1}-\epsilon^{i}_{1}\epsilon^{j}_{2})c^{k}_{ij}f^{u}_{k}[/tex]

So that the infinitesimal parameters [tex]\epsilon^{k}_{3}[/tex] of the commutator are given by:

[tex]\epsilon^{k}_{3} = c^{k}_{ij}(\epsilon^{i}_{2}\epsilon^{j}_{1}-\epsilon^{i}_{1}\epsilon^{j}_{2})[/tex]

From the manner of their construction we see that the structure constants
are antisymmetric in the two lower indices, that is,

[tex]c^{k}_{ij} = -c^{k}_{ji}[/tex]

Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
It just follows from the definition. If you interchange i and j in the computation, you get a minus sign.

zhentil said:
It just follows from the definition. If you interchange i and j in the computation, you get a minus sign.

Can you show me then?

Thanks

Related to Structure constants of a group antisymmetric?

1. What are structure constants of a group antisymmetric?

The structure constants of a group antisymmetric are numerical values that represent the algebraic structure of a group. They describe the relationship between the elements of a group and are used to define the group's multiplication and commutation rules.

2. How are structure constants calculated?

Structure constants are calculated by taking the commutator of two group elements. This involves multiplying the elements in a specific order and then subtracting the result from the opposite order. The resulting value is the structure constant for those two elements.

3. What is the significance of antisymmetric structure constants?

Antisymmetric structure constants are important in studying the properties of a group, such as its subgroups and representations. They provide a way to classify groups and understand their symmetries and transformations.

4. Can structure constants change for different groups?

Yes, structure constants can vary depending on the specific group being studied. Each group has its own set of structure constants that describe its unique algebraic structure and commutation rules.

5. How do structure constants relate to the Lie bracket?

The structure constants of a group are closely related to the Lie bracket, which is a mathematical operation used to define the algebraic structure of a Lie algebra. The structure constants can be used to construct the Lie bracket and vice versa.