Stoichiometry and other questions

In summary, the conversation covers two questions related to the combustion of a hydrocarbon and the safety of using charcoal briquettes indoors. The first question asks for the theoretical yield of a hydrocarbon combustion with a 75% yield, while the second question involves finding the amount of oxygen and a safe gas produced when burning charcoal briquettes. The conversation also includes a note about posting in the wrong forum and being notified about it.
marinepyre
First of all
I hope this is the right section of the forums
My other was deleted because i posted at the wrong forum.

Physics news on Phys.org
So here is my first question
In the combustion of a certain hydrocarbon, 16.0 grams of CO2 is produced. This represents a 75% yield. What is the theoretical yield?
A) 12g
B)21.3g
C)32.0g
D)44.0g
I know the answer but i don't know how to get it. Thanks in advance.

My second is this
Barbecues burning charcoal briquettes are unsafe for indoor use because of the colourless, odourless, poisonous gas produced.
(a) Find the n(O2) gas that reacts with 3.5 g of
charcoal briquettes (assume pure C) to produce
carbon monoxide.
(b) If there is a plentiful supply of air, a safe
colourless, odourless gas is produced. Find the mass of this gas produced if the same amount of charcoal is burnt. You will need to write another equation.

Oh by the way if i am in the wrong forum again. Notify me and let me copy what i typed in that would save a lot of time. Before you delete it.

marinepyre said:
Oh by the way if i am in the wrong forum again. Notify me and let me copy what i typed in that would save a lot of time. Before you delete it.

Please read your private messages. You were notified why your thread was deleted.

Topic locked.

Related to Stoichiometry and other questions

1. What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationship between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It allows us to calculate the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants.

2. Why is stoichiometry important?

Stoichiometry is important because it helps us understand and predict the outcomes of chemical reactions. It also allows us to determine the amount of reactants needed to produce a desired amount of product, which is crucial in industrial processes and manufacturing.

3. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must ensure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of the same element on the product side. This is achieved by adjusting the coefficients of the reactants and products, while keeping the subscripts unchanged.

4. Can stoichiometry be applied to all types of reactions?

Yes, stoichiometry can be applied to all types of reactions, including combustion, precipitation, acid-base, and redox reactions. However, the calculations may be more complex for certain types of reactions, such as redox reactions involving multiple oxidation states.

5. What are some common sources of error in stoichiometry calculations?

Some common sources of error in stoichiometry calculations include experimental errors, such as inaccurate measurements or incomplete reactions, and theoretical errors, such as assuming ideal conditions and neglecting side reactions. It is important to be aware of these sources of error and to double-check calculations to ensure accuracy.