Sphere in Cube: Can it be Defined?

In summary: What you are asking about is rounding the corners of a cube. This can be done in Euclidean geometry, as Rohphy showed. But there is an additional step of constructing a sphere with a given radius.
Atlas3
Gold Member
Can it be defined a disfigured sphere to approximate a cube mathematically? 8 corners equilateral to some extent. Not exact.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean something analogous to say
##x^8+y^8=(1/8)## ?
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/k30qaemomp
k30qaemomp.png

Likes Atlas3
robphy said:
Do you mean something analogous to say
##x^8+y^8=(1/8)## ?
https://www.desmos.com/calculator/k30qaemomp
k30qaemomp.png
This is interesting. But fit the sphere in the cube in 3 dimensions. Might be a space with limits bounding a unit cube with a sphere in an equivalent space is what I'm trying to resolve possibly. Thanks this was news to me.

You are repeatedly asking questions that are simply too vague to be answered. What exactly do you mean by a disfigured sphere? Certainly, you can round the corners of a cube as close to the cube itself as you wish. Is that a "disfigured" sphere?

Likes Atlas3
HallsofIvy said:
You are repeatedly asking questions that are simply too vague to be answered. What exactly do you mean by a disfigured sphere? Certainly, you can round the corners of a cube as close to the cube itself as you wish. Is that a "disfigured" sphere?
Yes it is. The effort by Rohphy graphically showed that. What type of geometry would allow that rounding. What mathematics in the academic sense. The only thing I know of isn't solid. It's a nurbs.

Atlas3 said:
Yes it is. The effort by Rohphy graphically showed that. What type of geometry would allow that rounding. What mathematics in the academic sense. The only thing I know of isn't solid. It's a nurbs.
I was asking about a disfigured sphere because a circle can be exact in nurbs spline. I thought possibly so could a sphere but control points allow a distortion of the figure.

Last edited:
Atlas3 said:
Yes it is. The effort by Rohphy graphically showed that.

What Rohphy showed is not the rounding of the corners of a square. Although rounding of the corners of a square is certainly possible.

What type of geometry would allow that rounding..

You can do it in Euclidean geometry. I have no idea what you want more.

Likes Atlas3
micromass said:
What Rohphy showed is not the rounding of the corners of a square. Although rounding of the corners of a square is certainly possible.
You can do it in Euclidean geometry. I have no idea what you want more.
I feel that is sufficient for me. More than I can do however. It wasn't vague just simple yet very complicated in practice. I feel good about asking such a question in this forum. There is great knowledge here. It may be vague to some but not to others. I realize such a question may have no practical purposes. But it's a valid question if there is an answer. I cannot expect everyone to take time to reply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Atlas3 said:
Choose a radius, "r" (the smaller r is, the closer the "rounded cube" is to the actual cube). From any corner of the cube, measure along one edge a distance r. From that point measure along either of the two faces that meet in that edge, perpendicular to the edge, a distance r. From that point, measure along a line perpendicular to the face, into the cube, a distance r. Using that point as center, construct a sphere with radius r. Those 8 spheres will "round" the 8 corners of the sphere.

Likes Atlas3
For future study, I am going to gain understanding of Euclidean Geometry. It seems quite a necessary next step. It wasn't a part of my undergraduate studies. Thank you all for your replies. I like these different ideas. It seems as though the Euclidean Geometry is the technique I need to grasp.

"Euclidean Geometry" is usually taught in secondary school, not college!

I had Geometry in High School. But The mapping of one space to another was taught in Linear Algebra in college. I think what I need is an extension of that Mathematics of Spaces. I could be wrong.

I made a mistake above I think. It is non-Euclidean geometry I desire to know more about. Any thoughts?

Your question has nothing to do with non-Euclidean geometry.

Related to Sphere in Cube: Can it be Defined?

1. What is a sphere in a cube?

A sphere in a cube is a geometric shape that consists of a sphere inscribed within a cube, meaning that the sphere touches all six faces of the cube.

2. How is a sphere in a cube defined?

A sphere in a cube is defined as a subset of points within a cube that are equidistant from a central point, which is the center of the inscribed sphere.

3. Can a sphere in a cube be created in real life?

Yes, a sphere in a cube can be created in real life with the use of certain materials and techniques such as 3D printing or carving. However, it may not be a perfect sphere due to limitations of materials and precision.

4. What are the properties of a sphere in a cube?

A sphere in a cube has the same properties as a regular sphere, such as being a three-dimensional shape with a curved surface and having a constant radius. However, it also has the added property of being inscribed within a cube, which gives it a unique geometric relationship with the cube's faces and edges.

5. Can a sphere in a cube be used in practical applications?

Yes, a sphere in a cube has practical applications in fields such as architecture, mathematics, and engineering. It can be used in the design of structures, as a model for studying geometric relationships, and in the creation of new technologies.