Space Stuff and Launch Info

In summary, the SpaceX Dragon launch is upcoming, and it appears to be successful. The article has a lot of good information about the upcoming mission, as well as some interesting observations about the Great Red Spot.
JWST got delayed (again), the planned launch is now spring 2019. Issues with the spacecraft integration according to NASA.

Wikipedia has a list of historic planned launch dates (and cost estimates). The cost estimate stabilized, and as the spacecraft components are built the launch seems to come closer as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
JWST got delayed (again), the planned launch is now spring 2019.
It will likely kill me if I die before this thing see's first light. :nb)

Likes NascentOxygen and Stavros Kiri
About the rumors for merging neutron stars see also the most relevant thread (by @Vanadium 50 )
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/rumors-of-merging-neutron-stars.923517/

Latest post today:
phyzguy said:
The latest I'm hearing is that there will be a press conference on this event on Oct 16. Stay tuned.

I'm watching both threads plus relative announcements. Anything you learn regarding the matter (everyone from various sources) please post in either thread or both ... (if anyone wishes to, of course)

Stavros Kiri said:
I'm watching both threads plus relative announcements. Anything you learn regarding the matter (everyone from various sources) please post in either thread or both ... (if anyone wishes to, of course)

NOTE ---- they should be posted in one thread ONLY ... namely the other thread

Please don't encourage people to double post ... it's a no-no

davenn said:
NOTE ---- they should be posted in one thread ONLY ... namely the other thread

Please don't encourage people to double post ... it's a no-no
Of course. I don't mean an identical post. It's against the rules! (and I've read them tons of times by now)
Link is usually fine. The reason I mentioned what I said is because cross-referencing and linking helps a lot. So let's just stick to the essence. Thanks for pointing it out and stressing it though.
If being picky with the rules, the language and correct spelling and syntax matters too.

Last edited:
Cross-referencing helps, but one link should be sufficient - watch the dedicated thread to see new updates.

SpaceX prepares for two rocket launches with just 2.5 days in between, Iridium satellites to polar orbits from the west coast Oct 9 12:30 UTC and SES-11 to GTO from the east coast Oct 11 ~23:30 UTC. The latter will be the third flight where a booster is reused. As it is still from pad 39, which needs about 2 months of downtime for upgrades to launch Falcon Heavy, it is very likely that this maiden flight moves to December or January.

Likes 1oldman2, Stavros Kiri and davenn
mfb said:
but one link should be sufficient
That's what I did in post #388, didn't I?
But I know what you both mean about the rest of the issue.
mfb said:
watch the dedicated thread to see new updates.
What if someone (that perhaps isn't originally aware of the dedicated thread, like me at first) posts first and fast significant update news about the issue here, in this more general, but still relevant, thread? ...

I think watching both threads (or even more relevant ones) etc. doesn't hurt. But no double-posting, I agree! ...
Then just a link ([see or cf. ...]) or mention/quote (by someone) to the dedicated thread takes care of it.
Am I talking correctly or not?
(this is just an example of a situation, that could happen ..., that limits your absolute response)

That's why I think linking etc. (e.g. in research, informing, discussing, news updates etc.) is important and useful, and certainly it doesn't hurt. It's not double-posting or spamming. In the forum we like references and links anyway. Don't we?

I think once the thread has been linked to from here (->post 388), further updates about this topic here are not necessary (unless they are exceptionally surprising).

Likes 1oldman2, davenn and Stavros Kiri
mfb said:
I think once the thread has been linked to from here (->post 388), further updates about this topic here are not necessary (unless they are exceptionally surprising).
Reasonable

But, also, way ahead in this thread, someone else (not having seen the way prior posts) may post an e.g. unique such update (~like you said), since this is a more general "Space&Stuff" thread. But not us that we have seen link, I agree.

Likes 1oldman2
In the fall issue of Genome Mag. I read an article on the genetic aspect of the NASA twins study that mentioned the rapid lengthening and regression of the telemeres. Has anyone here read any info on this? While we are on the "Stuff" aspect, I thought I'd mention there is also an interesting interview with Jennifer Doudna on "A Crack in Creation" in that issue.

Likes Stavros Kiri
1oldman2 said:
It will likely kill me if I die before this thing see's first light. :nb)
It's an exciting time to be around ... so please stick around! ...
(58 is not that old anyway)

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Stavros Kiri said:
It's an exciting time to be around ... so please stick around! ...
(58 is not that old anyway)
:wink: I agree, My screen name is just practice for the eventual.

Likes Stavros Kiri
1oldman2 said:
:wink: I agree, My screen name is just practice for the eventual.
Aren't we all ? ... [practicing, that is/ or suffice with the eventual ...]
But you never know ... Science etc. progresses. We ought to stick around! ...
[1st (of 10) anti-aging rule of A.AAA: don't die.
2nd: don't get sick.
3rd: if you do get sick, correct it ...
... etc.]
Buying time may buy us more time, if science makes it possible etc. ! ...

Last edited:
Likes 1oldman2
Stavros Kiri said:
We ought to stick around! ...
The alternative isn't attractive. :frown: Anyone following the EVA's lately?

Likes Stavros Kiri
See also my full edited post above. I will get back later here to reply to yours, as time is running out for something else ...

Likes 1oldman2
Stavros Kiri said:
I've been waiting for this comet! ...

You must be in New York City to see it. Read the article.

Gedanken said:
You think this hurricane season is bad, wait til next. Global warming is real, study hydrocarbons compared to O2 molecules.

You're totally right.
This is like from the movie "The Day After Tomorrow". Have you watched it? I loved it.

Worth watching!

Can you please edit posts if you want to add something instead of making multiple posts in a row?
Ivan Samsonov said:
You must be in New York City to see it. Read the article.
I have no idea where you got that misconception from. From the example image there? Reading the article would have helped:
The comet was first seen on July 19 by the All Sky Automated Survey for Supernovae (ASAS-SN) system at the Cerro Tololo Inter-American Observatory in Chile

Likes ISamson, Copernicus45 and davenn
Well Halley Comet was certainly a mystery!

But someone accurately found when the Halley comet would be seen to us. I think it is every 45 years.

Copernicus45 said:
Well Halley Comet was certainly a mystery!

But someone accurately found when the Halley comet would be seen to us. I think it is every 45 years.

Nope, every 74-79 years:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halley's_Comet

Likes Stavros Kiri
mfb said:
Can you please edit posts if you want to add something instead of making multiple posts in a row?

Ok, sorry.

Ivan Samsonov said:
Ok, sorry.
Is it anywhere near our timeline, Ivan?

Copernicus45 said:
Is it anywhere near our timeline, Ivan?

Sorry I don't understand your question.
Could you clarify please?

Can we see the Halley's Comet in our near future?