Solving Semiconductor Physics: Conduction Electron Density Calculation

Now, let's consider the case of high temperatures. At high temperatures, we can assume that the chemical potential is much lower than the conduction band energy (E_c). Therefore, we can simplify the equation as:n_e=\frac{g_0kT}{h^3}\ln\left(\frac{e^{(E_c-\mu)/kT}+1}{e^{(E_c-\mu)/kT}}\right)\approx\frac{g_0kT}{h^3}\ln\left(\frac{e^{E_c/kT}}{e^{E_c/kT}}\right)=\frac{
LocationX

Homework Statement

I am asked to show that the conduction electron density in an n type semiconductor is given by:

[tex]n=\frac{1}{2} \left( -n_0 e^{-(E_c-E_d)/kT} + \sqrt{n_0^2 e^{-2(E_c-E_d)/kT}+4 n_0 N_d e^{-(E_c-E_d)/kT} } \right)[/tex]

where
[tex]n_0=2(m^* kT/2 \pi \hbar^2 )^{3/2}[/tex]For low temp [itex]p=0[/itex] and [itex] E_c-\mu >> kT[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Start with electrical neutrality:
[tex]\Delta n=n_e-n_h=n_d^+ - n_a^-[/tex]
Using the mass action law:
[tex]n_h=n_i^2/n_e[/tex]
Thus we get:
[tex]n_e^2-n_e\Delta n=n_i^2[/tex]
solving the quadratic:
[tex]n_e=\frac{1}{2}\left( \Delta n+ \sqrt{(\Delta n)^2 +4n_i^2} \right) [/tex]

From this, I gather that:

[tex] \Delta n=n_e-n_h=n_d^+ - n_a^- =n_0 e^{-(E_c-E_d)/kT}[/tex]
[tex]n_i =\sqrt{n_0 N_d e^{-(E_c-E_d)/kT}}[/tex]

But I've been thinking about this for a while now and I don't see how to derive this. Any help is appreciated.

I'm also concerned about my understanding for what exactly is the chemical potential in the Fermi distribution and why does it physically mean to say [itex]e^{-(E_c-E_d)/kT}[/itex] or [itex]e^{-(E_c-\mu)/kT}[/itex]

My understanding is that the chemical potential is the fermi energy, which is basically the highest energy level at T=0. However, how could the fermi energy/chemical potential change w.r.t. T if it is defined w.r.t. T=0?

Thank you for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I understand your confusion and will try my best to help you understand the derivation of the conduction electron density in an n type semiconductor.

Firstly, let's start with the basic equations. The Fermi-Dirac distribution function for electrons is given by:

f(E)=\frac{1}{e^{(E-\mu)/kT}+1}

Where E is the energy of the electron, \mu is the chemical potential (or Fermi energy), k is the Boltzmann constant, and T is the temperature.

Now, for a semiconductor at thermal equilibrium, the total number of electrons n_e is given by:

n_e=\int_{E_c}^{\infty}f(E)g(E)dE

Where E_c is the conduction band energy and g(E) is the density of states. For simplicity, let's assume that the density of states is constant, g(E)=g_0. Therefore, we can rewrite the equation as:

n_e=g_0\int_{E_c}^{\infty}\frac{1}{e^{(E-\mu)/kT}+1}dE

Now, we can change the variable of integration from E to x=(E-\mu)/kT, which gives us:

n_e=\frac{g_0kT}{h^3}\int_{(E_c-\mu)/kT}^{\infty}\frac{1}{e^x+1}dx

Where h is the Planck constant. This integral can be solved using the substitution method and the result is:

n_e=\frac{g_0kT}{h^3}\ln\left(\frac{e^{(E_c-\mu)/kT}+1}{e^{(E_c-\mu)/kT}}\right)

Now, at low temperatures, we can assume that the chemical potential is much higher than the thermal energy (kT). Therefore, we can simplify the above equation as:

n_e=\frac{g_0kT}{h^3}\ln\left(\frac{e^{(E_c-\mu)/kT}}{e^{(E_c-\mu)/kT}}\right)=\frac{g_0kT}{h^3}\ln(1)=0

This means that at low temperatures, there are no electrons in

Related to Solving Semiconductor Physics: Conduction Electron Density Calculation

1. What is semiconductor physics?

Semiconductor physics is the study of the behavior and properties of semiconductors, which are materials that have electrical conductivity between that of conductors and insulators. This field encompasses the study of the electronic, optical, and magnetic properties of semiconductors.

2. What is conduction electron density?

Conduction electron density refers to the number of free electrons that are available to carry an electrical current in a material. In semiconductors, the conduction electron density is typically low compared to conductors, but higher than insulators.

3. Why is calculating conduction electron density important?

Calculating conduction electron density is important because it allows us to understand and predict the electrical properties of a semiconductor material. This information is crucial in designing and optimizing semiconductor devices such as transistors and diodes.

4. How is conduction electron density calculated?

Conduction electron density is typically calculated using theoretical models and equations based on quantum mechanics. These models take into account factors such as the number of atoms in the material, their arrangement, and the energy levels of the electrons.

5. What are some applications of conduction electron density calculations?

Conduction electron density calculations have a wide range of applications in the field of semiconductor physics. Some examples include designing and optimizing electronic devices, understanding the behavior of materials in different environments, and studying the effects of doping on semiconductors.