Solving for degeneracy electron cloud temperature

In summary, To solve the given question about finding the maximum temperature with a given pressure, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation and the equation of state for a real gas. You will need to rearrange the equation of state to solve for T and then substitute the given values to calculate the maximum temperature.
kamui1
Homework Statement
Assume degeneracy starts to dominate approximately when the pressure expected from a completely degenerate electron gas equals that expected from an ideal gas (P_rel_e=P_ideal=1/2Ptotal) Show that the temperature at that point, which we assume will be the maximum reached, is given by T_max is true
Relevant Equations
Tmax= 7.7x10^7 K mu*mu_e^5/3*(M/M_solar)^5/3
P_rel_e = K(ro/mu_e*m_h)^5/3
P_ideal = nKT
When I try P_rel_e = P_ideal I couldn't get a single number that is close to the given T_Max. It might be that I used the wrong equations but I am not sure. Can anyone give me some guidence on this question?

Physics news on Phys.org
To solve this question, you will need to use the ideal gas law equation and the equation of state for a real gas. The ideal gas law equation is P*V = n*R*T, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the universal gas constant, and T is the temperature. The equation of state for a real gas is PV = nRT + a(n2/V2), where a is an empirical constant that depends on the type of gas.To find the maximum temperature with a given pressure, you will need to solve the equation of state for the temperature. First, rearrange the equation of state to solve for T:T = (PV - a(n2/V2))/(nR)Then, substitute the known values of P, V, n, and R into the equation to solve for T. You can then compare the calculated maximum temperature to the given value to see if it is close.