Solving Billiard Problem - Get Help Here

• Thread starter DavidSnider
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an individual seeking help with solving a problem involving a ball with constant velocity and direction inside a rectangular table. The ball reflects off the walls and the individual is trying to come up with a function to determine its position at a given time. Someone suggests viewing the table as a 2D infinite plane and having the ball trace a straight line, but the individual is still unsure how to proceed.
DavidSnider
Gold Member
This is not homework, I'm just having trouble solving a problem of my own.

Say you have a ball with a constant velocity traveling with an initial direction vector inside a rectangle. Every time it hits a wall the direction vector gets reflected. I am trying to come up with a function that given the initial state of the ball and time-elapsed will return the position of the ball on the table at that time.

Somebody told me something about letting the ball continue across the border and then "folding" back onto the original plane, but I couldn't come up with a general formula for mapping this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
DavidSnider said:
This is not homework, I'm just having trouble solving a problem of my own.

Say you have a ball with a constant velocity traveling with an initial direction vector inside a rectangle. Every time it hits a wall the direction vector gets reflected. I am trying to come up with a function that given the initial state of the ball and time-elapsed will return the position of the ball on the table at that time.

Somebody told me something about letting the ball continue across the border and then "folding" back onto the original plane, but I couldn't come up with a general formula for mapping this.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Hm. Try seeing the pool table as 2D infinite plane of rectangles and have the ball trace out a straight line across them. Not sure where to go from there though.

Related to Solving Billiard Problem - Get Help Here

1. What is a billiard problem?

A billiard problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves predicting the path of a billiard ball or balls on a billiard table. The goal is to determine the exact path the ball(s) will take after being struck by a cue or colliding with other balls.

2. How can I solve a billiard problem?

To solve a billiard problem, you will need to use principles of geometry, physics, and calculus. This involves analyzing the angles, speeds, and positions of the balls before and after each collision, and using mathematical equations to predict their paths.

3. What are some common strategies for solving billiard problems?

There are several common strategies for solving billiard problems, including visualizing the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, using conservation of momentum and energy principles, and setting up and solving equations.

4. Are there any helpful tools or resources for solving billiard problems?

Yes, there are several helpful tools and resources for solving billiard problems. These include online calculators, billiard problem-solving software, and textbooks or online resources on physics, geometry, and calculus.

5. Are there any real-life applications for solving billiard problems?

Yes, solving billiard problems can have real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and game design. By understanding the principles of motion and collisions in billiards, scientists and engineers can apply this knowledge to solve real-world problems and create more accurate simulations or models.