Solutions in differential forms

In summary, there is no book in exterior algebra and differential forms which has problems worked out..ie solutions manual which comes along with it.
shankarvn
Is there any book in exterior algebra and differential forms which has problems worked out..ie solutions manual which comes along with the book?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, but here I want to add myself as interested (in such a book)!

i do not know of any. at that level of sophistication, people are usually less interested in someone else's homework solutions, and just do their own.

the only possible idea i have is a schaum's book. they always work problems out for you.

There's a small section at the end of the Vector Analysis book in REA's 'Problem Solver' series that has worked examples. Bressoud's 'Second Year Calculus' (Springer) might also be useful.

However, I haven't seen anything that has a lot of the type of example that I think you and I are both looking for.

i myself became happy with differential forms by reading one of the elementary articles by harley flanders in a book on global differential geometry edited by s.s. chern, in the ams series. instead of talking abstractly about them he just showed how easy they were to calculate with.

actually they are so easy to calculate with, there is almost nothing to it.

let v,w,u,z be a vector basis for a 4 dimensional space say. then an alternating 2 vector on that space looks like a v^w + bv^u + c v^z + d w^u + e w^z + f z^u.

to multiply it by a 1 vector such as v, we just get
a v^v^w + b v^v^u + c v^v^z + d v^w^u + e v^w^z + f v^z^u. Now we cancel all those with 2v's in them, (or two of anything). and we get
d v^w^u + e v^w^z + f v^z^u.

similarly, to multiply that same gadget by the 2-vector v^w, just gives us

fv^w^z^u.

that's basically why there is only a one dimensional space of alternating 4 - vectors on a 4 dimensional vector space. also v^w = -w^v.

then one can do this same construction on the dual spaces. i.e. if x, y, z are the linear coordinates on three space, then they are also the absis of the dual space.

so expressions like 14 x^y^z, give alternating 3- co-vectors.

a 1 form is an assignment of an alternating 1- covector to each point. the standard ones are called dx, dy, dz, which assign to each point the covectors x, y, and z respectively.\

a general 1 form on euclidean 3 space looks like pdx + qdy + rdz where p,q,r, are functions. they are multiplied in the same way as above.

for example the "curl" of the 1 form pdx + qdy +rdz is defined as

dp^dx + dq^dy + dr^dz =

(?p/?x dx + ?p/?y dy + ?p/?z dz)^dx (those ?'s were curly d's when i entered them)

+ (?q/?x dx + ?q/?y dy + ?q/?z dz)^dy

+ (?r/?x dx + ?r/?y dy + ?r/?z dz)^dz

= now kill all the dx^dx and dy^dy and dz^dz terms, and change all the dy^dx terms to dx^dy, and so on, and you get

(?q/?x - ?p/?y)dx^dy + (?r/?y - ?q/?z)dy^dz + (?p/?z-?r/?x)dz^dx.

if you take another derivative of this (now called the "divergence") you should get zero, because of equality of mixed partials. see if you do.

i.e. the divergence of the 2 form Pdx^dy + Qdy^dz + Rdz^dx

= dP^dx^dy + dQ^dy^dz + dR^dz^dx, expanded as above.

this stuff is tedious but trivial, i.e. entirely mechanical.

here is another exercise: if u,v,w, are vectors and the coefficients are scalars, then (au+bv+cw)^(du+ev+fw)^(gu+hv+iw) = det(A)(u^v^w), where A is the matrix whose columns, or rows, are the cefficients vectors (a,b,c), (d,e,f), (g,h,i).

so all these guys are is a device for rendering determinant calculations mechanical. which is why they are both so tedious and useful.

here is a used copy of flanders article, or rather of chern's entire ams volume:

Chern, S.S., ed
Global Differential Geometry: Studies in Mathematics Vol. 27
Math. Assn of Am, 1989 1st, Hard Cover, fine/-- ISBN:0883851296
ISBN: 0883851296
Bookseller Inventory #58504

Price: US$ 50.00 (Convert Currency)
Shipping: Rates & Speed

Bookseller: THE OLD LIBRARY SHOP, 1419 CENTER ST, BETHLEHEM, PA, U.S.A., 18018-2504

Last edited:

Related to Solutions in differential forms

1. What is a differential form?

A differential form is a mathematical object that represents a quantity that can vary smoothly from point to point in a space. It is used to describe various physical quantities in physics and engineering, such as velocity, force, and electromagnetic fields.

2. What is the purpose of using differential forms?

The main purpose of using differential forms is to simplify and generalize the study of calculus and differential equations. They provide a more elegant and efficient way of expressing and manipulating mathematical concepts.

3. How are differential forms different from vector fields?

While both differential forms and vector fields can be used to describe quantities that vary in space, they differ in their mathematical representation. Differential forms use exterior algebra, while vector fields use vector calculus. Additionally, differential forms are more general and can be defined in any dimension, while vector fields are limited to three dimensions.

4. Can differential forms be applied to physical problems?

Yes, differential forms have numerous applications in physics and engineering. They are used to describe physical quantities such as electric and magnetic fields, fluid flows, and more. They also have applications in geometry, topology, and computer science.

5. What are some common operations performed on differential forms?

Some common operations on differential forms include exterior derivative, Hodge star operator, and Lie derivative. These operations are used to differentiate, integrate, and manipulate differential forms to solve problems in various fields of mathematics and science.