Slow Roll Parameters: Deriving and Computing

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of slow roll parameters in inflationary models for compact spaces. The two important quantities are \epsilon and \eta, and the definitions for these parameters in a paper by Quevado et al. may not be accurate. The individual is seeking guidance on how to derive these parameters for a potential surface, and there is disagreement on how to compute the Hessian. They are concerned about using the wrong definitions and potentially wasting time on unviable inflationary models. The conversation also brings up the possibility of moving the discussion to a more physics-based forum. The slow roll approximation is described as assuming the irrelevance of the second time derivative in the inflaton field and the flatness of the potential for inflation to
AlphaNumeric
Not sure if this is a diff geom. question or more appropriate for the strings forum or even relativity or cosmology.

I'm doing work involved in inflationary models for compact spaces and the two important quantities are the slow roll parameters [tex]\epsilon[/tex] and [tex]\eta[/tex]. Previously I've been using the definitions described by Quevado et al. in this paper (Equations 2.12 to 2.16) but after a discussion about such things with someone far more knowledgeable about this whole area than me, I've been informed such algebraic expressions might not be true.

How would I go about deriving slow roll parameters for a potential surface (typically in complex fields)? I've checked the references of that paper but they just state the formula. Seems to be a normalised "rate of change" (ie epsilon) and "how sharp is the turning point in the potential?" (ie largest negative eigenvalue, eta) but often there's disagreement in how to compute things like the Hessian depending on the sign of the potential etc.

I just don't want to spend a month doing work on volumes of parameter space which lead to viable inflation only to find I'm using the wrong definition! :cry:

If this is more appropriate for one of the more physics based forums rather than this forum can a mod please move it :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Im not really sure what his objection is to that statement, afaik its pretty standard, at least in the textbook inflationary models usually studied. Perhaps an expert on inflationary model building can chime in (prolly in the cosmology forum)

Physically I view the slow roll approximation as assuming the magnitude of the second time derivative in phi (your inflaton field) is irrelevant w.r.t to drag terms (usually constant * first derivative in phi) as well as dV/dphi. Or that the potential must be sufficiently flat enough (eg small derivatives) so that the field rolls slowly enough for inflation to occur.

Thank you for sharing your question and concerns about the derivation and computation of slow roll parameters in the context of inflationary models for compact spaces. This is definitely a topic that falls within the realm of differential geometry and is relevant to the study of strings, relativity, and cosmology.

Firstly, it is important to note that there is no one "correct" definition of slow roll parameters, as different researchers may use slightly different definitions depending on their specific context and goals. However, there are general guidelines and principles that can help guide the derivation and computation of these parameters.

One approach to deriving slow roll parameters is to start with the definition of the potential surface in complex fields and use mathematical techniques such as the Hessian (as you mentioned) and other tools from differential geometry to analyze the behavior of the potential at different points. This can help identify the rate of change of the potential and the sharpness of the turning points, which are key components of the slow roll parameters.

Another approach is to use the equations of motion for the fields and the Friedmann equations to derive the slow roll parameters. This approach is more common in the context of inflationary models and can provide a deeper understanding of the physical implications of these parameters.

In either case, it is important to carefully consider the assumptions and approximations made in the derivation and to compare your results with those of other researchers in the field. This can help ensure that your definitions and computations are in line with current understanding and can also help identify any discrepancies or disagreements.

In summary, the derivation and computation of slow roll parameters involves a combination of mathematical techniques from differential geometry and physical principles from inflationary models. It is always a good idea to consult with experts in the field and to carefully compare your results with those of others to ensure accuracy and consistency. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Slow Roll Parameters: Deriving and Computing

What are slow roll parameters?

Slow roll parameters are a set of dimensionless quantities used to describe the dynamics of inflation in the early universe. They are defined in terms of the potential and its derivatives with respect to the inflaton field.

Why are slow roll parameters important?

Slow roll parameters play a crucial role in determining the behavior of the inflationary potential and the resulting cosmological observables, such as the spectrum of primordial fluctuations. They also provide insight into the underlying physics of inflation.

How are slow roll parameters derived?

Slow roll parameters are derived by expanding the potential and its derivatives in terms of the inflaton field and its derivatives. This allows for a simplified description of the dynamics of inflation and makes it easier to calculate various cosmological observables.

Can slow roll parameters be computed numerically?

Yes, slow roll parameters can be computed numerically by evaluating the potential and its derivatives at different points in the inflaton field. This allows for a more precise determination of the behavior of the inflationary potential and its impact on cosmological observables.

What are some limitations of using slow roll parameters?

One limitation of using slow roll parameters is that they are only applicable to inflation models that satisfy certain conditions, such as slow roll itself. They also do not provide a complete picture of the dynamics of inflation and may not capture all of its features.