Skype Blue Screen of Death: Causes and Solutions

In summary, the speaker has an HP Pavilion dv6000 with Windows Vista, a 2.0 GHz processor, and 3 GB RAM. They experience a Blue Screen of Death when using Skype 3.8 for video or voice chats, which is disruptive for formal meetings. The speaker has checked that both Skype and their graphics card driver are up to date and has found this issue to be common on the Skype forums. They suggest posting the problem on the forum for a potential solution. However, the original speaker's issue was resolved through a Skype update, and they currently use a different computer.
Math Jeans
Hi. I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 running Window's Vista with a 2.0 GHz processor and 3 GB RAM.

For some reason, whenever I have a video or voice chat on Skype (version 3.8), my computer gives me a Blue Screen of Death.

As you may guess, this is very annoying when trying to have formal meetings.

Is there any solution to this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Yes. Both of them.

It seems your problem is fairly common.
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=28684

I would post your problem over there.

Last edited:
Did you ever find a solution for this on another site? it's been happening on my computer too!

My original problem ended up getting fixed in a Skype update a long time ago (I also have a different computer now).

Your problem is likely caused by something different.

Related to Skype Blue Screen of Death: Causes and Solutions

What is the "Skype Blue Screen of Death"?

The "Skype Blue Screen of Death" is a term used to describe a technical issue where the Skype application crashes and displays a blue screen with an error message. This can happen on both computers and mobile devices.

Why does the "Skype Blue Screen of Death" occur?

The "Skype Blue Screen of Death" can occur due to a variety of reasons, including outdated software, corrupted system files, conflicts with other programs, or hardware issues. It can also be caused by bugs or glitches within the Skype application itself.

How can I fix the "Skype Blue Screen of Death"?

There are several steps you can take to try and fix the "Skype Blue Screen of Death" issue. These include updating your operating system and Skype application, disabling unnecessary programs, clearing the Skype cache, and running a malware scan. If the issue persists, you may need to contact Skype support for further assistance.

Can the "Skype Blue Screen of Death" cause damage to my device?

The "Skype Blue Screen of Death" itself does not typically cause any physical damage to your device. However, if the issue is caused by a hardware problem, such as a failing hard drive or overheating, it is possible for this to cause damage to your device. It is important to address the issue promptly to prevent any potential damage.

Is there a way to prevent the "Skype Blue Screen of Death" from happening?

While there is no guaranteed way to prevent the "Skype Blue Screen of Death" from occurring, you can take steps to minimize the chances of it happening. This includes regularly updating your software, running maintenance scans on your device, and avoiding known conflicts with other programs. It is also important to use a reputable and updated antivirus software to prevent any malware that could potentially cause the issue.