Simple beam deflection and center load

In summary, simple beam deflection is the bending or deformation of a beam when a load is applied to its center. The formula for calculating deflection is Δ = (5 * W * L^4) / (384 * E * I), where Δ is the deflection, W is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam. The magnitude of the load directly affects the deflection, and there are several assumptions made in the calculation, including the beam being made of a homogeneous material and only being subjected to pure bending. The position of the load on the beam can also greatly affect the deflection, with a load placed closer to the
roflpask

Homework Statement

http://www.upload.ee/image/4762203/DSC_0009_1_.JPG
I need to find the formula which is in the red circle. Beam is simply supported at both ends and there is center load. Do you think that this is correct?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems the right equation for flexural deflection, but, in addition, there could be a much smaller deflection due to shear.

Related to Simple beam deflection and center load

1. What is simple beam deflection?

Simple beam deflection is the bending or deformation of a beam when a load is applied to its center. This occurs due to the force of the load causing the beam to bend, with the amount of deflection depending on the properties of the beam and the magnitude of the load.

2. What is the formula for calculating simple beam deflection?

The formula for calculating simple beam deflection is: Δ = (5 * W * L^4) / (384 * E * I), where Δ is the deflection, W is the load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam.

3. How does the magnitude of the load affect the deflection of a simple beam?

The magnitude of the load directly affects the deflection of a simple beam. The greater the load, the greater the deflection will be. This is because a larger load causes a greater force on the beam, resulting in more bending and deformation.

4. What are the assumptions made in simple beam deflection calculations?

There are a few assumptions made in simple beam deflection calculations, including: the beam is made of a homogeneous material, the load is applied at the center of the beam, the beam is initially straight and has a constant cross-sectional area, and the beam is only subjected to pure bending and not any other external forces.

5. How does the position of the load affect the deflection of a simple beam?

The position of the load on a simple beam can greatly affect the deflection. Placing the load closer to the support of the beam will result in less deflection compared to placing it closer to the center of the beam. This is because the closer the load is to the support, the less leverage it has to cause bending in the beam.