Show that if ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective then....

• Thread starter Potatochip911
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surjective
In summary: Oh so since ##x=f(y)## and from ##\exists y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that ##f(y)\in H## then ##\exists h\in H## such that ##x=h## which implies ##x\in H##?Yes, this is correct.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Show that if ##f:A\rightarrow B## is subjective and ##H\subseteq B## then ##f(f^{-1}(H))=H##, give an example to show the equality need to hold if ##f## if not surjective.

Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/B]

I know that I want to show that an element ##x\in H## by starting from the LHS but I'm not really sure what to do. In a similar proof in my notes we had a step where we did something like this:

Let ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))=H## then ##\exists y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that ##x=f(y)##, I'm not really sure where to go from here or what the point of this step is. I'm also confused by ##f^{-1}(H)##, if I'm understanding this question correctly ##H## is the domain of the function so what exactly is ##f^{-1}(H)## and why is letting a ##y## exist in this useful? And lastly I'm not sure how the definition of a surjective function is useful:
A function ##f## is said to be surjective (or map A onto B) if ##f(A)=B##, that is if the range ##R(f)=B##.

Physics news on Phys.org
Potatochip911 said:

Homework Statement

Show that if f:ABf:A\rightarrow B is subjective and HBH\subseteq B then f(f−1(H))=Hf(f^{-1}(H))=H, give an example to show the equality need to hold if ff if not surjective.

"subjective" should be "surjective" and "need to hold" should be "need not hold".

Potatochip911 said:
Let ##x \in f(f^{-1}(H)) = H##

The equality is what you need to prove, so you cannot write it down yet.

Potatochip911 said:
I'm also confused by ##f^{-1}(H)##, if I'm understanding this question correctly ##H## is the domain of the function so what exactly is ##f^{-1}(H)##

##A## is the domain of the function, ##B## is the codomain of the function and ##H## is nothing more than a subset of ##B##. The notation ##f^{-1}(H)## simply means, by definition,
$$
f^{-1}(H) := \{x \in A\,:\, f(x) \in H\}
$$
With this in place, you are asked to prove that ##f(f^{-1}(H)) = H##. For this you should prove two inclusions: ##f(f^{-1}(H)) \subseteq H## and ##f(f^{-1}(H)) \supseteq H##. Why don't you start with the first inclusion?

Likes Potatochip911
Krylov said:
"subjective" should be "surjective" and "need to hold" should be "need not hold".
The equality is what you need to prove, so you cannot write it down yet.
##A## is the domain of the function, ##B## is the codomain of the function and ##H## is nothing more than a subset of ##B##. The notation ##f^{-1}(H)## simply means, by definition,
$$
f^{-1}(H) := \{x \in A\,:\, f(x) \in H\}
$$
With this in place, you are asked to prove that ##f(f^{-1}(H)) = H##. For this you should prove two inclusions: ##f(f^{-1}(H)) \subseteq H## and ##f(f^{-1}(H)) \supseteq H##. Why don't you start with the first inclusion?
Yea I'm not quite sure why I wrote subjective there since right after that I wrote surjective. I also accidentally tagged on the ##=H## to ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##. Going back to the proof:

Let ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))## then ##\exists y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that ##x=f(y)##, now I want to show that ##x\in H## using the fact that ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective but I can't seem to figure it out. I'm not sure if this is useful or not but if ##\exists y\in f^{-1}(H)## then it seems logical that ##f(y)\in H## but still not sure where to go from here.

Potatochip911 said:
Let ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))## then ##\exists y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that ##x=f(y)##. Now I want to show that ##x\in H## using the fact that ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective but I can't seem to figure it out.
You don't need to use the fact that f is surjective for this part.

Likes Potatochip911
vela said:
You don't need to use the fact that f is surjective for this part.
Is ##f(y)\in H## going in the right direction or do I need to think of something else entirely?

Potatochip911 said:
Is ##f(y)\in H## going in the right direction or do I need to think of something else entirely?
Yes, it's the correct way to proceed. If x=f(y), and f(y) is an element of H, then x is...

Note that what you're using to justify that step is just the definition of the notation ##f^{-1}(H)##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
Yes, it's the correct way to proceed. If x=f(y), and f(y) is an element of H, then x is...

Note that what you're using to justify that step is just the definition of the notation ##f^{-1}(H)##.
Oh so since ##x=f(y)## and from ##\exists y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that ##f(y)\in H## then ##\exists h\in H## such that ##x=h## which implies ##x\in H##?

Right, but it's a bit of a detour to bring in a new variable h. Also, (this is a bit of a nitpick) when you have mentioned that "there's a ##y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that...", then it's a bit weird to talk about the properties of y in the next sentence. The problem is that the "there exists" makes y a dummy variable; it can be replaced by any other variable without changing the meaning of the statement. So (very) strictly speaking, it's not clear what y the next sentence is referring to.

This is how I would write the part of the proof that you have completed so far:

Let ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##. Let ##y\in f^{-1}(H)## be such that ##f(y)=x##. (Such a ##y## exists because ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##). Since ##y\in f^{-1}(H)##, we have ##f(y)\in H##. Since ##x=f(y)## and ##f(y)\in H##, we have ##x\in H##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
Right, but it's a bit of a detour to bring in a new variable h. Also, (this is a bit of a nitpick) when you have mentioned that "there's a ##y\in f^{-1}(H)## such that...", then it's a bit weird to talk about the properties of y in the next sentence. The problem is that the "there exists" makes y a dummy variable; it can be replaced by any other variable without changing the meaning of the statement. So (very) strictly speaking, it's not clear what y the next sentence is referring to.

This is how I would write the part of the proof that you have completed so far:

Let ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##. Let ##y\in f^{-1}(H)## be such that ##f(y)=x##. (Such a ##y## exists because ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##). Since ##y\in f^{-1}(H)##, we have ##f(y)\in H##. Since ##x=f(y)## and ##f(y)\in H##, we have ##x\in H##.

Yea I suppose it is quite odd what I did with ##y## there, I will definitely keep that in mind for future proofs. So now I want to show that ##H\subseteq f(f^{-1}(H))## given that ##f:A\rightarrow B## is subjective and that ##H\subseteq B##:

I'm not too confident about this but it's all I could come up. Let ##x\in H##, ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective so we will be using the inverse image definition of ##f^{-1}## i.e. ##f^{-1}(H):=\{ x\in A : f(x)\in H\}##, Since ##f## is surjective there exists an element ##a\in A## for every ##b\in B## so ##a\in f^{-1}(H)## and ##f(a)\in f(f^{-1}(H))##, since ##f(a)\subseteq B## and ##H\subseteq B## we have that ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##

Potatochip911 said:
Since ##f## is surjective there exists an element ##a\in A## for every ##b\in B## so ##a\in f^{-1}(H)## and ##f(a)\in f(f^{-1}(H))##, since ##f(a)\subseteq B## and ##H\subseteq B## we have that ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##
I can't really follow what you're doing there. The "there exists" makes ##a## a dummy variable in the first part of the sentence, and then you make a claim about ##a##. That claim isn't true for every possible ##a## that corresponds to some ##b\in B##.

I would start with this: You know that ##x\in H\subseteq B## and that ##f:A\to B## is surjective. This should tell you something about ##x## that will be useful.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
I can't really follow what you're doing there. The "there exists" makes ##a## a dummy variable in the first part of the sentence, and then you make a claim about ##a##. That claim isn't true for every possible ##a## that corresponds to some ##b\in B##.

I would start with this: You know that ##x\in H\subseteq B## and that ##f:A\to B## is surjective. This should tell you something about ##x## that will be useful.
What I'm trying to say (I think it's similar to your suggestion) is that ##x\in H\subseteq B## and since ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective then we know that for every ##b\in B## there exists ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b## and from the definition of the inverse image we have that ##f^{-1}(H)\in A##. Therefore, there exists and element ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(h)=a\Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(h))=f(a)##. Since ##f(a)=b\in B##, ##H\subseteq B## and using the fact that ##h\in H## we have that ##H\in f(f^{-1}(H)##. Sorry if this is pretty much the exact same thing as I did before.

Potatochip911 said:
What I'm trying to say (I think it's similar to your suggestion) is that ##x\in H\subseteq B## and since ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective then we know that for every ##b\in B## there exists ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b##
Right. And if something holds "for all b in B", and x is in B, then it holds for x.

Potatochip911 said:
and from the definition of the inverse image we have that ##f^{-1}(H)\in A##.
Right.

Potatochip911 said:
Therefore, there exists and element ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(h)=a\Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(h))=f(a)##.
Do you mean such that the first equality holds or such that the implication holds? I assume the former. The claim doesn't entirely make sense. You're saying something about ##a##, but ##a## was a dummy variable in an earlier statement and is undefined now. If you're going to make a statement P(a) about a variable ##a##, then you need to do one of the following three things:

1. Assign a value to ##a## first: Define ##a=1##.
2. Make ##a## the target of a "for all": ##\forall a~P(a)##
3. Make ##a## the target of a "there exists": ##\exists a~P(a)##.

If you meant "for all ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b##, there's an ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(\{h\})=\{a\}##", then the sentence is true for some choices of ##b## and false for others. (It's false for all b that are not in H).

The notation ##f^{-1}(H)## makes sense even when f is not invertible, but the notation ##f^{-1}(h)## doesn't.

Fredrik said:
Right. And if something holds "for all b in B", and x is in B, then it holds for x.Right.Do you mean such that the first equality holds or such that the implication holds? I assume the former. The claim doesn't entirely make sense. You're saying something about ##a##, but ##a## was a dummy variable in an earlier statement and is undefined now. If you're going to make a statement P(a) about a variable ##a##, then you need to do one of the following three things:

1. Assign a value to ##a## first: Define ##a=1##.
2. Make ##a## the target of a "for all": ##\forall a~P(a)##
3. Make ##a## the target of a "there exists": ##\exists a~P(a)##.

If you meant "for all ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=b##, there's an ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(\{h\})=\{a\}##", then the sentence is true for some choices of ##b## and false for others. (It's false for all b that are not in H).

The notation ##f^{-1}(H)## makes sense even when f is not invertible, but the notation ##f^{-1}(h)## doesn't.

Yea I meant that the first equality would hold. So it seems like saying there exists an ##h\in H## is a bad idea since h is a single variable? Is that why ##f{^-1}(h)## doesn't make sense?

##f^{-1}(h)## denotes the output that you get when the function ##f^{-1}## takes ##h## as input. If ##f## isn't invertible, there is no ##f^{-1}## and therefore no ##f^{-1}(h)##. There is however a ##f^{-1}(\{h\})##, because this is a notation for the set ##\{x\in X| f(x)\in\{h\}\}##, which is equal to ##\{x\in X| f(x)=h\}##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
##f^{-1}(h)## denotes the output that you get when the function ##f^{-1}## takes ##h## as input. If ##f## isn't invertible, there is no ##f^{-1}## and therefore no ##f^{-1}(h)##. There is however a ##f^{-1}(\{h\})##, because this is a notation for the set ##\{x\in X| f(x)\in\{h\}\}##, which is equal to ##\{x\in X| f(x)=h\}##.
So if I go back to the definition of the inverse part where I say:

From the definition of the inverse we have that ##f^{-1}(H)\in A## so ##\exists a\in A## such that ##\forall a\in f(a)## the following implications hold ##f^{-1}(H)=a \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(a)## and then since ##f:A\to B## is surjective we know that ##A## will map to all elements of ##B## and since ##H\subseteq B## and ##f(a)\subseteq B## we have ##f(a)\subseteq H\Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))\in H##

Potatochip911 said:
So if I go back to the definition of the inverse part where I say:

From the definition of the inverse we have that ##f^{-1}(H)\in A##
The definition of "inverse" isn't involved here. ##f^{-1}(H)## is the preimage of ##H## under ##f##, not the image of ##H## under ##f^{-1}##. So the definition you need to use is the definition of "preimage". It should tell you that ##f^{-1}(H)## isn't an element of ##A##.

Potatochip911 said:
so ##\exists a\in A## such that ##\forall a\in f(a)## the following implications hold ##f^{-1}(H)=a \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(a)##
It doesn't make sense to have "there exists" and "for all" target the same variable in a single statement. It's impossible to tell which one of these statements is the one you meant to make
\begin{align*}
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=x \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(x)\\
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=x \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(y)\\
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=y \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(x)\\
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=y \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(y)\\
\end{align*}
Unfortunately none of them makes sense. ##f(a)## denotes an element of ##B##, not a subset of ##A## or ##B##. ##f^{-1}(H)## denotes a subset of ##A##, not an element of ##A##. ##f(f^{-1}(H))## is a subset of ##B## and ##f(a)## is an element of ##B##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
The definition of "inverse" isn't involved here. ##f^{-1}(H)## is the preimage of ##H## under ##f##, not the image of ##H## under ##f^{-1}##. So the definition you need to use is the definition of "preimage". It should tell you that ##f^{-1}(H)## isn't an element of ##A##.It doesn't make sense to have "there exists" and "for all" target the same variable in a single statement. It's impossible to tell which one of these statements is the one you meant to make
\begin{align*}
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=x \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(x)\\
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=x \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(y)\\
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=y \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(x)\\
\exists x\in A\quad \forall y\in f(a)\quad f^{-1}(H)=y \Rightarrow f(f^{-1}(H))=f(y)\\
\end{align*}
Unfortunately none of them makes sense. ##f(a)## denotes an element of ##B##, not a subset of ##A## or ##B##. ##f^{-1}(H)## denotes a subset of ##A##, not an element of ##A##. ##f(f^{-1}(H))## is a subset of ##B## and ##f(a)## is an element of ##B##.
Okay so I should just define the preimage as ##f^{-1}(H)=\{x\in A: f(x)\in H\}##; ##f:A\to B## is surjective and we want to show that ##H\subseteq f(f^{-1}(H))##, Let ##x\in H##, then after applying the preimage we get ##f^{-1}(x)\in f^{-1}(H)##, and then multiplying by the function we get ##f(f^{-1}(H))\in f^{-1}(H)##, I reread the entire thread again and there's something I don't understand from the first proof.

Fredrik said:

Can you explain why such a ##y## exists because ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##? Is it because if ##y\in f^{-1}(H)## can we write ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))\Rightarrow x\in f(y)##?

Potatochip911 said:
Let ##x\in H##, then after applying the preimage we get ##f^{-1}(x)\in f^{-1}(H)##,
This isn't correct. ##f^{-1}(x)## exists only if ##f## is invertible. Since the problem doesn't tell you that ##f## is injective, the notation ##f^{-1}(x)## (where x is an element of B rather than a subset of B), shouldn't appear anywhere in the proof.

Potatochip911 said:
and then multiplying by the function we get ##f(f^{-1}(H))\in f^{-1}(H)##
Is there a typo here? Did you mean ##f(f^{-1}(x))\in H##? If ##f## is invertible and ##f^{-1}(x)\in f^{-1}(H)##, then it's correct to conclude that ##f(f^{-1}(x))\in H##, but the correct justification is that it follows immediately from the definition of ##f^{-1}(H)##. You should make sure that you understand why.

Potatochip911 said:
I reread the entire thread again and there's something I don't understand from the first proof.

Can you explain why such a ##y## exists because ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))##? Is it because if ##y\in f^{-1}(H)## can we write ##x\in f(f^{-1}(H))\Rightarrow x\in f(y)##?
##x## is an arbitrary element of ##f(f^{-1}(H))##. By definition of the image of a set under f, we have ##f(f^{-1}(H))=\{f(y)|y\in A\}##. The right-hand side is an abbreviated notation for ##\{z\in B|\exists y\in A~f(y)=z\}##.

If you prefer the abbreviated notation: Since ##x\in\{f(y)|y\in A\}##, there's a ##y\in A## such that ##f(y)=x##.

If you prefer the full notation: Since ##x\in\{z\in B|\exists y\in A~f(y)=z\}##, there's a ##y\in A## such that ##f(y)=x##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
Is there a typo here? Did you mean f(f−1(x))∈Hf(f^{-1}(x))\in H? If ff is invertible and f−1(x)∈f−1(H)f^{-1}(x)\in f^{-1}(H), then it's correct to conclude that f(f−1(x))∈Hf(f^{-1}(x))\in H, but the correct justification is that it follows immediately from the definition of f−1(H)f^{-1}(H). You should make sure that you understand why.
Yep I accidentally put the ##f^{-1}## there.

Let ##y\in H##, from the definition of the preimage we have that ##f^{-1}(H):=\{a\in A: f(a)\in H\}## and since the function is surjective we have that ##\forall h\in H \exists a\in A## such that ##f(a)=h##. Therefore, there's an element ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=y##, so we have ##a\in A## and ##f(a)\in H## and from ##f(a)=y\Rightarrow f(a)\in H##, so we have shown that ##y\in f^{-1}(H)##, Is this correct? Obviously this isn't the entire proof since I have to show ##y\in f(f^{-1}(H))## but it seems to at least be getting me somewhere.

Potatochip911 said:
Let ##y\in H##, from the definition of the preimage we have that ##f^{-1}(H):=\{a\in A: f(a)\in H\}## and since the function is surjective we have that ##\forall h\in H \exists a\in A## such that ##f(a)=h##. Therefore, there's an element ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=y##,
This part is excellent.

Potatochip911 said:
so we have ##a\in A## and ##f(a)\in H## and from ##f(a)=y\Rightarrow f(a)\in H##, so we have shown that ##y\in f^{-1}(H)##, Is this correct?
It is not. It looks like you used the result you found (there's an ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=y##) only to "prove" the assumption that you started with (##y\in H##), and then jumped to the conclusion that ##y\in f^{-1}(H)##. Note that H is a subset of B, and ##f^{-1}(H)## is a subset of ##A##.

Let ##y\in H##. Let ##a\in A## be such that ##f(a)=y##. (You have explained why such an ##a## must exist). To make progress from this point, you need to find a better way to use that ##f(a)=y\in H##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
This part is excellent.It is not. It looks like you used the result you found (there's an ##a\in A## such that ##f(a)=y##) only to "prove" the assumption that you started with (##y\in H##), and then jumped to the conclusion that ##y\in f^{-1}(H)##. Note that H is a subset of B, and ##f^{-1}(H)## is a subset of ##A##.

Let ##y\in H##. Let ##a\in A## be such that ##f(a)=y##. (You have explained why such an ##a## must exist). To make progress from this point, you need to find a better way to use that ##f(a)=y\in H##.
So I am now thinking something like this. We have ##a\in A## and ##f(a)\in H##, since ##f(a)=y\in H##. There exists an element ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(\{h\})=a##. Therefore from ##f(a)=y## we have ##f(a)=f(f^{-1}(\{h\}))=y\in H##

Potatochip911 said:
So I am now thinking something like this. We have ##a\in A## and ##f(a)\in H##, since ##f(a)=y\in H##. There exists an element ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(\{h\})=a##.
It's possible that there exists an ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(\{h\})=\{a\}## (not ##=a##), but you can't know that for sure, since we haven't assumed that ##f## is injective.

Keep in mind that the statement that you're trying to prove is ##H\subseteq f(f^{-1}(H))##. This suggests that you should be looking for true statements that involve ##f^{-1}(H)##.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
It's possible that there exists an ##h\in H## such that ##f^{-1}(\{h\})=\{a\}## (not ##=a##), but you can't know that for sure, since we haven't assumed that ##f## is injective.

Keep in mind that the statement that you're trying to prove is ##H\subseteq f(f^{-1}(H))##. This suggests that you should be looking for true statements that involve ##f^{-1}(H)##.
Is it possible to assume that there's "##a\in A## such that ##\{a\}=f^{-1}(\{H\})##?" I feel like that's not possible since if the function is surjective then every single element in B could have more than one element in A mapping to it. I'm guessing I have to use the fact then that ##f^{-1}(\{H\}):=\{x\in A:f(x)\in H\}## so by the definition of the inverse image ##f^{-1}(\{H\})\in A##. Now if there exists an element ##x\in f^{-1}(\{H\})## then from the definition of ##f^{-1}(\{H\}\Rightarrow f(x)\in f(f^{-1}(\{H\})## and we also have that ##f(x)\in H## from the definition. So we get the result that ##f(x)\in H\in f(f^{-1}(\{H\})##.

Potatochip911 said:
Is it possible to assume that there's "##a\in A## such that ##\{a\}=f^{-1}(\{H\})##?" I feel like that's not possible since if the function is surjective then every single element in B could have more than one element in A mapping to it.
H is a subset of B, but ##\{H\}## isn't, so the notation ##f^{-1}(\{H\})## is undefined.

If you meant to write ##f^{-1}(H)##, there's no reason to think that such an ##a## exists. Such an ##a## would exist e.g. if we had assumed that f is injective and that H is a singleton set (i.e. a set with only one element).

If you meant to write ##f^{-1}(h)##, where h is some element of H, then there's still no reason to think that such an ##a## exists. Such an ##a## would exist e.g. if we had assumed that f is injective.

Potatochip911 said:
I'm guessing I have to use the fact then that ##f^{-1}(\{H\}):=\{x\in A:f(x)\in H\}##
You will have to use that ##f^{-1}(H)## is equal to that right-hand side.

You will also have to use the definition of ##f(E)## for an arbitrary ##E\subseteq A##.

Potatochip911 said:
so by the definition of the inverse image ##f^{-1}(\{H\})\in A##.
The term is "preimage", and (regardless of whether you meant H or h) it's ##\subseteq##, not ##\in##.

Potatochip911 said:
Now if there exists an element ##x\in f^{-1}(\{H\})## then from the definition of ##f^{-1}(\{H\}\Rightarrow f(x)\in f(f^{-1}(\{H\})## and we also have that ##f(x)\in H## from the definition. So we get the result that ##f(x)\in H\in f(f^{-1}(\{H\})##.
If you meant that ##x\in f^{-1}(H)## implies that ##f(x)\in f(f^{-1}(H))##, then you're right.

Likes Potatochip911
Fredrik said:
You will have to use that ##f^{-1}(H)## is equal to that right-hand side.

You will also have to use the definition of ##f(E)## for an arbitrary ##E\subseteq A##.The term is "preimage", and (regardless of whether you meant H or h) it's ##\subseteq##, not ##\in##.If you meant that ##x\in f^{-1}(H)## implies that ##f(x)\in f(f^{-1}(H))##, then you're right.
I'm quite lost as to what to do with the sets but I think I've found a way to prove it. Let ##y\in H##, since ##f:A\to B## is surjective ##\exists a\in A## such that ##f(a)=y## therefore, ##a\in f^{-1}(H)## where ##f^{-1}(H):=\{a\in A:f(a)\in H\}##. From this we get that ##f(a)\in f(f^{-1}(H))## and we know that ##f(a)=y## and that ##y\in H## so ##H\subseteq f(f^{-1}(H))##

Related to Show that if ##f:A\rightarrow B## is surjective then....

1. What does it mean for a function to be surjective?

A function is surjective if every element in the codomain (B) has at least one element in the domain (A) that maps to it. In other words, every output in the range is mapped to by at least one input in the domain.

2. How can I show that a function is surjective?

To show that a function is surjective, you must prove that every element in the codomain (B) has at least one element in the domain (A) that maps to it. This can be done by showing that for every element in B, there exists an element in A that maps to it.

3. What is the difference between a surjective and injective function?

A surjective function maps every element in the codomain (B) to at least one element in the domain (A), while an injective function maps every element in the domain (A) to at most one element in the codomain (B).

4. Can a function be both surjective and injective?

Yes, a function can be both surjective and injective. This type of function is called a bijective function, and it means that every element in the codomain (B) is mapped to by exactly one element in the domain (A).

5. How does the surjectivity of a function affect its inverse?

If a function is surjective, it means that every element in the codomain (B) is mapped to by at least one element in the domain (A). This guarantees that the inverse of the function exists, as every output has a corresponding input. However, the inverse may not be a function if the original function is not also injective.