Self-inductance in long solenoid

• Thread starter libelec
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solenoid
In summary, the magnetic field inside a long, thin solenoid is \vec B = {\mu _0}\eta I{\rm{ \hat k}}, where \eta is the spiral density (900 spirals per meter). The induced EMF inside the solenoid is \varepsilon = \frac{{{\mu _0}{N^2}IS}}{L}, where S is the transversal suface.
libelec

Homework Statement

A variable current I(t) = 2Acos(100Hz*t) is passed through a long, thin solenoid of R = 2,5 cm and 900 spirals per meter in length. Calculate the induced EMF inside the solenoid and the self-inductance coefficient L.

Homework Equations

Magnetic field inside a long, thin solenoid: [tex]\vec B = {\mu _0}\eta I{\rm{ \hat k}}[/tex], where [tex]\eta [/tex] is the spiral density (900 spirals per meter).

Induced EMF inside a solenoid: [tex]\varepsilon = \frac{{{\mu _0}{N^2}IS}}{L}[/tex], where S is the transversal suface.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is the lack of data. I don't have the length of the solenoid, so what I calculated remains a function of L. This is what I did:

1) I calculate the flux of B through one spiral: [tex]\Phi = {\mu _0}\eta I(t).{\pi ^2}R[/tex].

2) I multiply that by N (number of spirals), to get the total flux through the solenoid: [tex]{\Phi _T} = N{\mu _0}\eta I(t).{\pi ^2}R[/tex].

3) Since it changes with time, because I changes with time, I derive the total flux to get the induced EMF: [tex]\varepsilon = - \frac{{d{\Phi _T}}}{{dt}} = - N{\mu _0}\eta {\pi ^2}R\frac{{dI}}{{dt}} = N{\mu _0}\eta {\pi ^2}R.2A.100Hz\sin (100Hz*t)[/tex]

Then I can't calculate it. I'm missing the total number of spirals N, or the length L, such that [tex]\eta [/tex] = N/L.

What can I do to find the induced EMF. The problem asks for a numerical solution (in function of t).

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I see it, you have two options:

(1) Assume the solenoid is long enough to be considered infinite and calculate the emf and inductance per unit length (the total emf and inductance of an infinite solenoid is, not surprisingly, infinite)

(2) Assume the solenoid has some finite length [itex]d[/itex] and calculate the total emf and inductance using the exact field of a finite solenoid (not easy to calculate!)

Personally, I would choose option (1); both for ease of calculation, and since I strongly suspect that is what the questioner is looking for (since it is a very common textbook problem).

OK, thank you.

Related to Self-inductance in long solenoid

1. What is self-inductance in a long solenoid?

Self-inductance in a long solenoid refers to the ability of the solenoid to generate an induced electromotive force (emf) in itself when the current passing through it changes. This is due to the magnetic field created by the current, which links with the solenoid's own turns of wire.

2. How is the self-inductance of a long solenoid calculated?

The self-inductance of a long solenoid can be calculated using the formula L = μ₀n²A, where L is the self-inductance, μ₀ is the permeability of free space (4π x 10^-7 H/m), n is the number of turns per unit length, and A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid.

3. What factors affect the self-inductance of a long solenoid?

The self-inductance of a long solenoid is affected by the number of turns of wire, the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, and the permeability of the material inside the solenoid. It also increases as the length of the solenoid increases.

4. How does self-inductance in a long solenoid affect its behavior in an electric circuit?

Self-inductance in a long solenoid causes it to resist changes in current flow, known as self-inductance reactance. This can result in a delay in the current reaching its maximum value when the circuit is switched on, and a decrease in the current when the circuit is switched off. It can also cause the current to oscillate after the circuit is switched off.

5. What are some practical applications of self-inductance in long solenoids?

Self-inductance in long solenoids is utilized in a variety of devices, such as electromagnets, transformers, and inductors. It is also used in electronic filters to block certain frequencies and in energy storage devices like inductors in power supplies. Additionally, self-inductance is important in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation.