Satellite pedigree/apogee ratio. 2 values given both __Earth radii

In summary, a satellite is orbiting the Earth in a noncircular orbit with an apogee of 3.6 Earth radii and a perigee of 2.7 Earth radii. The ratio of gravitational potential energy at perigee to that at apogee can be found using the equation U = (Gm1m2)/r, where U is the gravitational potential energy, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the Earth and satellite respectively, and r is the distance between them. There is no specific explanation for this type of problem in the textbook, but you can try substituting the unknown masses and see what happens. Keep in mind that the spell checker
bharminder
A satellite is placed in a noncircular orbit about the Earth. The farthest point of its orbit (apogee) is 3.6 Earth radii from the center of the Earth, while its nearest point (perigee) is 2.7 Earth radii from the Earth's center. If we define the gravitational potential energy U to be zero for an infinite separation of Earth and satellite, find the ratio

Upedigree
Uapogee

I tried 3.6 Earth radii / 2.7 Earth radii and put 1.3 as the ratio. Then i tried the other way around with 2.7 / 3.6. I looked in my textbook and there is no explanation for this type of problem. I know the equation for gravitational potential energy ( U = (G m1 m2) / r

but I don't have either mass.

Bobby

Physics news on Phys.org
Try write up the division anyway using the unknown masses and see what happens.

And please make your spell checker stop replacing perigee with pedigree :)

The other way round

but this is not even a level question

Related to Satellite pedigree/apogee ratio. 2 values given both __Earth radii

1. What is a satellite pedigree/apogee ratio?

The satellite pedigree/apogee ratio is a measure of the orbit of a satellite around a celestial body. It is calculated by dividing the satellite's apogee (the point in its orbit farthest from the celestial body) by its pedigree (the point in its orbit closest to the celestial body).

2. How is the satellite pedigree/apogee ratio calculated?

To calculate the satellite pedigree/apogee ratio, the apogee and pedigree values are first determined in Earth radii. Then, the apogee value is divided by the pedigree value to get the ratio.

3. What do the 2 values given represent?

The 2 values given represent the apogee and pedigree of the satellite's orbit, measured in Earth radii. These values help to determine the satellite pedigree/apogee ratio.

4. What is considered a high satellite pedigree/apogee ratio?

A high satellite pedigree/apogee ratio indicates that the satellite's orbit is more elliptical. This means that the satellite spends more time farther away from the celestial body at its apogee and less time closer to it at its pedigree.

5. How does the satellite pedigree/apogee ratio affect a satellite's orbit?

The satellite pedigree/apogee ratio affects a satellite's orbit by determining the shape of its orbit. A higher ratio results in a more elliptical orbit, while a lower ratio results in a more circular orbit. This can also affect the satellite's speed and the amount of time it spends in different parts of its orbit.