Sachs and Wu's General Relativity for Mathematicians

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in studying the book by Sachs and Wu, particularly with the exercises. The speaker asks if there are any solution manuals available, but is advised to post their questions in the Advanced Physics Homework Help forum instead. The conversation then shifts to a specific exercise from the book, with the speaker providing their attempt at the solution. They also mention a previous attempt at reading from the book, but getting stuck on one question.
Avogadro Number
I am trying to study "religiously" the book by Sachs and Wu, but I am finding the Exercises very much of a challenge. Does anyone know if there exists a source for solutions one can consult when stuck?

Physics news on Phys.org
We don't really "do" solution manuals here, but if you post the question and your working (you may need to read the LaTeX guide linked below the reply box if you don't know LaTeX) we'll be happy to help. That's one reason we're here. Technically, you should probably post in the Advanced Physics Homework Help forum, but mentors seem to be a bit more relaxed about graduate level exercises in the technical forums and they probably won't disintegrate you if you put it in the wrong place.

Likes troglodyte and Avogadro Number
Apologies about posting this in the wrong channel. Thanks for the tip.

I have made an attempt at this exercise: Is the following alright?:

If we take ##\mathcal{E}=\mathbb{R}##, and ##\gamma:\mathcal{E}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## defined by ## \gamma u= (x(au),au),## for ##u\in \mathcal{E}=\mathbb{R}##,
then ##\gamma_*u=a\frac{dx}{du}(au)\partial_{u^1}+a\partial_{u^2}##. This gives:
(a) ##du^2(\gamma_* u)=(a\frac{dx}{du}(au)\partial_{u^1}+a\partial_{u^2})(u^2)=0+a\cdot 1=a,##
(b) ##\gamma^1(u)=x(au)=x(\gamma^2 u)=(x\circ \gamma^2)## for all real ##u##, and
(c) ##g(\gamma_* u,\gamma_* u)=(a\frac{dx}{du}(au))^2-(a)^2=a^2[(\frac{dx}{du}(au))^2-1^2]=a^2\cdot 0=0.##
##\phantom{(c)}##Here we have used ##v=|\frac{dx}{du}|=1## everywhere.

I haven't yet tried showing uniqueness of ##\mathcal{E}## and ##\gamma##.

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I tried several years ago to read from it.
Got stuck on one question, and didn't proceed from there.
https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/61298/ex-0-2-1-in-sachs-and-wus-textbook

I see it's from an old computer my brother always promised to fix it (and didn't).
I have made an attempt at this exercise: Is the following alright?:

If we take ##\mathcal{E}=\mathbb{R}##, and ##\gamma:\mathcal{E}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^2## defined by ##\gamma u=(x(au),au)##, for ##u\in \mathcal{E}=\mathbb{R}##, then ##\gamma_∗ u=a\frac{dx}{du}(au)\partial_{u^1}+a\partial_{u^2}##. This gives:

(a) ##du^2(\gamma_∗u)=(a\frac{dx}{du}(au)\partial_{u^1}+a\partial_{u^2})(u^2)=0+a⋅1=a##,

(b) ##\gamma^1(u)=x(au)=x(\gamma^2 u)=(x\circ \gamma^2)(u)## for all real ##u##, and

(c) ##g(\gamma_∗u,\gamma_∗u)=(a\frac{dx}{du}(au))^2−(a)^2=a^2[(\frac{dx}{du}(au))^2−1^2]=a^2⋅0=0##. Here we have used ##v=|\frac{dx}{du}|=1## everywhere.

I haven't yet tried showing uniqueness of ##\mathcal{E}## and ##\gamma##.

Related to Sachs and Wu's General Relativity for Mathematicians

1. What is the main focus of "Sachs and Wu's General Relativity for Mathematicians"?

The main focus of this book is to provide a rigorous and mathematical treatment of general relativity, a theory of gravity that describes the behavior of large-scale objects in the universe.

2. Is this book suitable for non-mathematicians?

No, this book is specifically written for mathematicians and assumes a strong background in mathematics, including differential geometry and topology.

3. How does this book differ from other books on general relativity?

This book is unique in its approach, as it focuses on the mathematical foundations of general relativity rather than its physical implications. It also includes more advanced topics such as the Penrose singularity theorem and the Geroch splitting theorem.

4. Can this book be used as a textbook for a course on general relativity?

Yes, this book can be used as a textbook for an advanced course on general relativity for mathematicians. It includes exercises and problems at the end of each chapter, making it suitable for classroom use.

5. Is this book accessible for self-study?

While this book is written for mathematicians, it can also be used for self-study by individuals with a strong mathematical background. However, it may be helpful to have some prior knowledge of general relativity before diving into this book.