Relay showing voltage while contacts open

In summary, the discussion revolves around simulating a switch system using a normally open contact relay. The issue is that before the coil is energised, there is a reading of 15mV on the main circuit side, but when the coil is energised, the voltage rises to the expected value. The conversation also touches on possible causes such as initial conditions, floating nodes, and the relay model.
Physicist3
Hi, I am simulating a switch system on multisim which I have constructed using a normally open contact relay. The problem I am having is that before the coil is energised, I am observing about 15mV on the main circuit side when the contacts are supposedly open. Is this normal? When the coil is energised and the contacts close, the voltage raises to the value of the supply as would be expected?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Physicist3 said:
Hi, I am simulating a switch system on multisim which I have constructed using a normally open contact relay. The problem I am having is that before the coil is energised, I am observing about 15mV on the main circuit side when the contacts are supposedly open. Is this normal? When the coil is energised and the contacts close, the voltage raises to the value of the supply as would be expected?

Can you post a screenshot of the schematic? If you explicitly set the Initial Conditions with 0V on that side before starting the simulation, does it stay zero for some time before you close the relay? Is it just a floating node, or is there something connected to it?

If it is a solid state relay it could be leakage. What is your relay model?

Related to Relay showing voltage while contacts open

1. Why does a relay show voltage when its contacts are open?

The relay is an electrical switch that is designed to open and close circuits. When the relay is open, there is a small air gap between the contacts. This gap acts as a capacitor, allowing a small amount of voltage to pass through. This is known as leakage current and is a normal behavior for relays.

2. Is it safe for a relay to show voltage while the contacts are open?

Yes, it is safe for a relay to show voltage while the contacts are open. The voltage is very low, usually in the range of millivolts, and poses no danger to humans or equipment. However, if you are working with high voltage relays, it is important to take proper safety precautions.

3. How does a relay show voltage while its contacts are open?

When a voltage is applied to the coil of the relay, it creates an electromagnetic field which pulls the contacts together, completing the circuit. However, when the voltage is removed from the coil, the contacts spring back to their default position, leaving a small air gap between them. This air gap allows a small amount of voltage to pass through, giving the appearance of voltage while the contacts are open.

4. Can a relay still function properly if it shows voltage while the contacts are open?

Yes, a relay can still function properly even if it shows voltage while the contacts are open. The voltage is very low and will not affect the normal operation of the relay. However, if the voltage is significantly higher than expected, it may indicate a malfunction or damage in the relay.

5. How can I prevent a relay from showing voltage while the contacts are open?

To prevent a relay from showing voltage while the contacts are open, you can use a diode in parallel with the coil. This will provide a path for the leakage current to flow, preventing it from passing through the contacts. Additionally, using a higher quality relay with tighter tolerances can also reduce the amount of leakage current.