Relativistic energy and momentum conservation

In summary, I've done the following:I've looked up and written down the correct formula for the total energy and total momentum of a particle of a massive particle of rest mass m_0 with a velocity v and an associated gamma factor of ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-v^2 / c^2}##.I've also found the energy-momentum relations.
denniszhao
Summary:: this is what I've done so far... i don't think it works since i believe the information given is not even enough.
the formula I've used are
1. relativistic total energy = rest mass energy + kinetic energy (line 1, 3)
2. conservation of energy (line 4, 7, 8, 9)
3. conservation of momentum (line 5, 6)

hw.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I take it the second particle is a proton, not a photon. You don't seem to have written down the total initial momentum. What is it?

You also seem to be trying to apply ##\gamma mc^2## to the photon, which is not correct since ##\gamma## is undefined for photons.

ohh you're right.. the second particle is actually a proton

This looks like it should be in the homework forum.

Comments: Look up and write down for us the correct formula for the total energy E and total momentum P of a particle of a massive particle of rest mass m_0 with a velocity v and an associated gamma factor of ##\gamma = 1/\sqrt{1-v^2 / c^2}##.

You'll also need the relationship between the energy and momentum of a photon.

There's no need to split the energy into a kinetic and rest part as you did in line 1. The usual formula that you should look up in your textbook (I am assuming you have a textbook) gives the total energy. Your text should also give you the relationship between momentum and energy of a photon.

Find the total energy and total momentum of the system of photon and proton by adding the energy of the photon to the total energy of the proton. Find the total momentum of the inital system in a similar manner.

I would assume that the intent of the problem is that there are no other particles created, so if you equate the energy and momentum of a single massive particle to the sum of the energies and the sum of the momenta in your initial system, you'll have the problem set up correctly.

pervect said:
This looks like it should be in the homework forum.

Agreed. Thread has been moved to the homework forum.

denniszhao said:
Summary:: this is what I've done so far... i don't think it works since i believe the information given is not even enough.
the formula I've used are
1. relativistic total energy = rest mass energy + kinetic energy (line 1, 3)
2. conservation of energy (line 4, 7, 8, 9)
3. conservation of momentum (line 5, 6)

View attachment 265308
Try using the energy-momentum relations. Remember that for all particles we have:
$$E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4$$

Just by way of interest, is there a unit of momentum which one can use alongside (M)eV as the unit of energy ? Since p = E/c , it should be something like eV s / m. One of the complications of problems such as the above is switching between normal SI units and eV.

neilparker62 said:
Just by way of interest, is there a unit of momentum which one can use alongside (M)eV as the unit of energy ? Since p = E/c , it should be something like eV s / m. One of the complications of problems such as the above is switching between normal SI units and eV.
Yes, the unit of momentum is ##MeV/c##. And the unit of mass is ##MeV/c^2##.

Likes vanhees71 and neilparker62
$$\sin\delta=\frac{500}{1438}$$

Related to Relativistic energy and momentum conservation

1. What is the concept of Relativistic energy and momentum conservation?

Relativistic energy and momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total energy and momentum of a system remains constant in all inertial reference frames. This means that energy and momentum cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does Relativistic energy and momentum conservation differ from classical conservation laws?

Classical conservation laws, such as the conservation of energy and momentum, only apply in non-relativistic situations where velocities are much smaller than the speed of light. Relativistic energy and momentum conservation takes into account the effects of special relativity, which becomes significant at high velocities.

3. Can energy and momentum be conserved separately in relativistic systems?

No, energy and momentum are always conserved together in relativistic systems. This is because energy and momentum are interconnected through the famous equation E=mc^2, where c is the speed of light. This means that any change in energy will also result in a change in momentum, and vice versa.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence relate to Relativistic energy and momentum conservation?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, is a crucial component of Relativistic energy and momentum conservation. It shows that mass and energy are two forms of the same thing, and can be converted into each other. This means that mass can be considered a form of energy, and must also be conserved in relativistic systems.

5. Are there any practical applications of Relativistic energy and momentum conservation?

Yes, Relativistic energy and momentum conservation has many practical applications in modern physics, such as in particle accelerators and nuclear reactions. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as spacecraft and particles in the Large Hadron Collider.