Relativistic energy and momenta

Is this classical mechanics or QM?In summary, an electron with a kinetic energy of 1MeV collides with a stationary positron, producing 2 photons of equal energy traveling at an angle of 45 degrees to the direction of the electron. The momentum of the electron is 1.422MeV/c, the energy of the photons is 1.011MeV, and their momentum is 1.011MeV/c.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

An electron with a kinetic energy of 1MeV collides with a stationary positron. The two particles annihilate each other and produce 2 photons, of equal energy traveling at angle theta to the direction of the electron. Find,

a. The momenta of the electron
b.the energy of the photons
c.the momentum of the photons
d. the angle theta of the photons

rest mass electron/positron = 0.511MeV/c^2
speed of light c = 3x10^8 m/s
E^2=(Eo+Ek)^2=p^2*c^2+(mc^2)^2

The Attempt at a Solution

ok for a. which is all i have done so far I am pretty sure all i have to do is solve for p

p=root((((Eo+Ek)^2)-((mc^2)^2))/c)=? i am getting very confused with the units in this question ..

I am getting 1.422MeV/c please can any tell me if this is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
well b. would be Ef=Ei=Ek+Eo=2Ephoton=>Ephoton=(Eo+Ek)/2=0.75MeV

ugh c. momentum of photons... they don't have mass so no rest energy? therefore there momentum would the same as their energy divided by c? 0.75MeV/c

d. no idea how to find the angle...

any help for any question would be very much appreciated thankyou.

how about for d. E^2=2B^2=>B=(root(2)*E)/2=0.53

arccos(0.53/0.75)=45 degrees?? makes sense

The diagram according to me is like:

http://www.geocities.com/vinteract11/derytuio.jpg

The outgoing photons make equal angle thita with initial direction of e- and hence the final momentum is along the initial momentum. Furthermore the momentum (hence energy) of both the photons need to be same in magnitude. For each momentum you have to use vector resolution along X and Y axes. Am I correct?

Last edited:
yes i think so, that is what i did... i think lol

fredrick08;2244388[h2 said:
The Attempt at a Solution[/h2]
ok for a. which is all i have done so far I am pretty sure all i have to do is solve for p

p=root((((Eo+Ek)^2)-((mc^2)^2))/c)=? i am getting very confused with the units in this question ..

I am getting 1.422MeV/c please can any tell me if this is right?

Correct eqn is:
p=root( [((Eo+Ek)^2)/c^2]-[(mc^2)^2))/c^2] )

Which gives p = (root2) MeV/c

fredrick08 said:
well b. would be (Eo+Ek)/2=0.75MeV

Energy of each photon = (2Eo + Ek)/2 ;since the rest energy of positron(Eo) too is converted into photonic energy.
This gives each photon has energy 1.011 MeV.
So Momentum of each photon is 1.011 MeV/c.

ahh ok thankyou

ok then for d... what do i have to do to find the angle?

have i done it right? if i use 1.011 i get 44.3 degree?

sorry lol... miss typed.. ok i see now is always root2, so 45 degrees is correct, thnank very much

Angle stinks!

Related to Relativistic energy and momenta

What is Relativistic Energy?

Relativistic energy is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on energy. It is the total energy of a system, including both its rest mass energy and its kinetic energy due to motion.

What is Relativistic Momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on momentum. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity, but also includes a correction factor to account for relativistic effects at high speeds.

How do Relativistic Energy and Momentum Relate?

Relativistic energy and momentum are related by Einstein's famous equation, E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light. This equation shows that as an object's velocity increases, its energy and momentum also increase, and at high speeds, the effects of special relativity must be taken into account.

Why is Relativistic Energy and Momentum Important?

Relativistic energy and momentum are important in modern physics because they allow us to accurately describe the behavior of objects moving at high speeds. They help us understand phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, and are crucial in fields like particle physics and astrophysics.

How are Relativistic Energy and Momentum Applied in Real Life?

Relativistic energy and momentum have many real-life applications, including in the design and operation of particle accelerators, which use high-speed particles to study the fundamental building blocks of the universe. They are also used in the development of technologies such as GPS, which relies on precise calculations of relativistic effects to accurately determine location and time.