Quantum System: Expectation Value

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of k and the expectation value for a normalized state vector. The solution involves finding the norm of the state and using eigenvalues to calculate the expectation value. The final result is an expectation value of 1 for these specific eigenvalues.
tetris11

Homework Statement

|O> = k |R1> + 1/9 |R2>

a) Find k if |O> has already been normalized, and b) then the expectation value.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
To Normalise:
|(|O>)|2 = (1/9 |R2> + k |R1>).(1/9 |R2> - k|R1>) = 1/81|R2>2 - k2|R1>2 = 1

I just assumed that |k| = (1-(1/81))0.5, but I can't justify why. Is this answer correct?

b)
Expectation value:
Operator A of the system D

<D|A|D> = ∫D*AD dt = is the expectation value, where:

A|n> = λn|n>
|D> = Σ Cn |Qn>
<D| = Σ Cn* <Qn|

So: <D|A|D> = Σ |Cn|2 λn

So in the case of O:
<O|A|O> = ΣΣ [(1/9<R2| - k<R1|).A.(1/9|R2> + k|R1>)]
= ΣΣ[(1/81<R2|R2> + k/9<R2|R1> - k/9<R1|R2> - k2<R1|R1>)].A
= ? Help

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to read somewhere how to calculate the norm of a state. Read and try to understand. If you have problems at this point - you will never be able to understand anything that follows. Find it on the net, in textbooks, in your notes.

Ok, so I'm fairly sure that the value of k = [tex]\sqrt{1 - (1/9)^2}[/tex] = [tex]\sqrt{80/81}[/tex]
Tricky part now is the expectation value:<A> = [tex]\sum[/tex] |Cn|2 an = |C1|2 a1 + |C2|2 a2

I'm told that the corresponding eigenvalues are +1 and -1.

So <A>= |1/9|2 (+1) - |(80/81|(-1) = 81/81 = 1 ?

So for a normalised state vector, the expectation value will always be 1 for these eigenvalues? Or have I done something wrong?

Last edited:

Related to Quantum System: Expectation Value

1. What is a quantum system?

A quantum system is a physical system that exhibits quantum behavior, meaning it follows the principles of quantum mechanics. It can be described by a wave function, which represents the probability of finding the system in a certain state.

2. What is an expectation value in quantum mechanics?

An expectation value is the average value of a measurement that can be made on a quantum system. It is calculated by taking the integral of the wave function multiplied by the operator representing the quantity being measured.

3. How is the expectation value related to the uncertainty principle?

The uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle simultaneously. The expectation value of the position and momentum operators can be used to calculate the uncertainty in these values and show that they are inversely proportional.

4. Can the expectation value be measured directly?

No, the expectation value is a theoretical concept and cannot be measured directly. It is a mathematical tool used to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems.

5. How is the expectation value used in quantum computing?

In quantum computing, the expectation value is used to analyze and optimize algorithms. It is also used in the process of measuring quantum states, which is necessary for reading the results of a quantum computation.