Proving properties of the Levi-Civita tensor

In summary, the equations state that if you swap two of the indices, the sign reverses, but if you swap another pair of indices, the sign does not change.
Dixanadu

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
So I've got to prove a couple of equations to do with the Levi-Civita tensor. So we've been given:
[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{jik}=-\epsilon_{ikj}[/itex]

We need to prove the following:
(1) [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{kji}[/itex]
(2) [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=\epsilon_{jki}=\epsilon_{kij}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this seems a bit too easy - but my question is this: if I swap two of the indices, the sign reverses. But if I do another swap, (not necessarily the same indices), does the sign reverse again? So basically If I start with this
[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex]
Then if I swap two indices, ij -> ji, I get
[itex]-\epsilon_{jik}[/itex]
If I swap the last two indices like so:
[itex]-\epsilon_{jik} → +\epsilon_{jki}[/itex].
Is that true? I think that's the only way to prove question 2.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are absolutely correct! The definition of the Levi-Civita (i.e. swapping (non-cyclical) => minus sign).

Dixanadu said:

Homework Statement

Hey everyone,
So I've got to prove a couple of equations to do with the Levi-Civita tensor. So we've been given:
[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{jik}=-\epsilon_{ikj}[/itex]

We need to prove the following:
(1) [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{kji}[/itex]
(2) [itex]\epsilon_{ijk}=\epsilon_{jki}=\epsilon_{kij}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So this seems a bit too easy - but my question is this: if I swap two of the indices, the sign reverses. But if I do another swap, (not necessarily the same indices), does the sign reverse again? So basically If I start with this
[itex]\epsilon_{ijk}[/itex]
Then if I swap two indices, ij -> ji, I get
[itex]-\epsilon_{jik}[/itex]
If I swap the last two indices like so:
[itex]-\epsilon_{jik} → +\epsilon_{jki}[/itex].
Is that true? I think that's the only way to prove question 2.

Yes, that's exactly the idea. If there are an even number of swaps then the sign doesn't change. If there are an odd number, then it does.

Okay, thanks a bunch guys! yea it makes sense now :)

I would like to first commend you for taking on the task of proving properties of the Levi-Civita tensor. This is an important concept in mathematics and physics, and understanding its properties can greatly aid in solving complex problems.

To address your question, yes, you are on the right track. The sign of the Levi-Civita tensor does indeed reverse when two indices are swapped. This is known as the antisymmetry property of the tensor. This can be seen in your attempt at a solution, where swapping the last two indices resulted in a change of sign.

To prove question 2, you can use this antisymmetry property and the given equations \epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{jik}=-\epsilon_{ikj}. By swapping the last two indices in the equation \epsilon_{ijk}=-\epsilon_{jik}, we get -\epsilon_{jki}=-(-\epsilon_{ijk})=\epsilon_{ijk}. This shows that \epsilon_{ijk}=\epsilon_{jki}, and by using the same logic, we can also prove that \epsilon_{jki}=\epsilon_{kij}.

I hope this helps in your understanding of the Levi-Civita tensor and its properties. Keep up the good work!

Related to Proving properties of the Levi-Civita tensor

1. What is the Levi-Civita tensor?

The Levi-Civita tensor, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical object used in vector calculus and differential geometry to represent the orientation of coordinate systems and to define cross products in higher dimensions.

2. How is the Levi-Civita tensor defined?

The Levi-Civita tensor is defined as an antisymmetric tensor of rank 3 with values of +1, -1, or 0, depending on the order of its indices and their arrangement in a given coordinate system.

3. What properties does the Levi-Civita tensor possess?

The Levi-Civita tensor is invariant under coordinate transformations, meaning that it has the same values in all coordinate systems. It is also completely antisymmetric, meaning that it changes sign under any permutation of its indices.

4. How is the Levi-Civita tensor used in proving properties?

The Levi-Civita tensor is used in proving properties of other mathematical objects, such as determinants and cross products, by defining them in terms of the tensor and then using its properties to simplify the calculations.

5. What are some applications of the Levi-Civita tensor?

The Levi-Civita tensor has many applications in physics, including in electromagnetism, general relativity, and fluid mechanics. It is also used in computer graphics and computer vision to define 3D rotations and orientations.