Proving Manifold with Boundary & C^/inf(M) on Smooth Manifold | FAQ

• Thread starter seydunas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Manifold
In summary, the conversation discusses two questions: how to prove a closed ball in R^n is a manifold with boundary using the definition of a manifold with boundary, and whether C^/inf(M) is infinite dimensional when M is a smooth manifold of dimension n>0. The method of using charts to cover the interior and boundary points is suggested for proving the closed ball is a manifold with boundary. It is also mentioned that C^/inf(M) is indeed infinite dimensional, as demonstrated by the existence of an infinite set of linearly independent functions such as "bump functions".
seydunas
Hi,

I have two questions: how can we prove a closed ball in R^n is manifold with boundry only using the definition being manifold with boundry. Also i want to ask C^/inf(M) is infinite dimensional where M is smooth manifold of dimension n>0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

seydunas said:
Hi,

I have two questions: how can we prove a closed ball in R^n is manifold with boundry only using the definition being manifold with boundry. Also i want to ask C^/inf(M) is infinite dimensional where M is smooth manifold of dimension n>0.

Would this work?

Stand the ball on a tangent n-1 plane an subtract the height of the lower half of the boundary from the n-1 plane from each point in the lower half ball.

Much like you need two charts to cover the sphere, you will need two charts for the "unit ball with boundary".

Last edited:

Yes, [itex]C^{\infty}(M)[/itex] is an infinite-dimensional vector space.

I'm not sure of the definition, but why not just produce charts for both the interior points and for the boundary points, i.e., show that the points in the (topological) boundary are also (in this case) part of the manifold boundary?

C/inf(M) is infinite dimensional but how? I thought that for all point on M (one point is closed set) there exist open nhd, and by using partitions of unity we can extend the function on M , now i wonder that the set of theese functions is linearly independent or not? IF so, we are done.

For manifold with boundary, how can we write the charts precisely?

You write the charts just like you do for manifolds without boundary, only that you have interior charts and boundary charts.

To see that C^/infty(M) is infinite dimensional, just find an infinite set of linearly independent functions. For example, any "bump function" around a point with different variations of "steepness" could generate infinitely many such functions.

Related to Proving Manifold with Boundary & C^/inf(M) on Smooth Manifold | FAQ

1. What is a two manifold?

A two manifold, also known as a 2-dimensional manifold, is a geometric space that locally resembles Euclidean space of dimension two. It can be thought of as a surface that is smooth and continuous, without any sharp edges or corners.

2. How is a two manifold different from a one manifold?

A one manifold, also known as a 1-dimensional manifold, is a geometric space that locally resembles a line. It has one dimension, while a two manifold has two dimensions. This means that a two manifold can have curvature, while a one manifold cannot.

3. What are some examples of two manifolds?

Some common examples of two manifolds include spheres, tori, and projective planes. These surfaces can be described by equations in three-dimensional space, but they are topologically different from three-dimensional objects.

4. How are two manifolds used in mathematics and science?

Two manifolds are used in a variety of fields, including topology, geometry, and physics. They provide a useful way to study and understand complex spaces, and they have applications in areas such as computer graphics, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics.

5. What is the significance of studying two manifolds?

Studying two manifolds allows us to better understand the structure and properties of higher-dimensional spaces. It also has practical applications in fields such as computer science and physics. Additionally, the study of two manifolds has led to important advancements in mathematics, such as the Poincaré conjecture and the classification of surfaces.