Proving Decomposability of Forms in Spivak's Book (Vol. 1, Chap. 7)

• Thread starter AiRAVATA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forms
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to prove that if the dimension of a vector space is less than or equal to 3, then every element in the second exterior power of the space is decomposable. There are two proposed methods, using the inner product or expressing the elements in terms of the base of the first exterior power. Both methods seem to lead to the desired result.
AiRAVATA
Sorry to keep bothering, but I am preparing an exam based on Spivak's book on forms (chapter 7 of tome 1).

I need to prove that if [itex]\dim V \le 3[/itex], then every [itex]\omega \in \Lambda^2(V)[/itex] is decomposable, where an element [itex]\omega \in \Lambda^k(V)[/itex] is decomposable if [itex]\omega =\phi_1\wedge\dots\wedge\phi_k[/itex] for some [itex]\phi_i \in V^*=\Lambda^1(V)[/itex].

I think I must use the inner product, but I am not sure. If [itex]\omega \in \Lambda^2(V)[/itex], then

[tex]\omega=a_{12} \phi_1\wedge \phi_2+a_{13}\phi_1\wedge\phi_2+a_{23}\phi_2\wedge \phi_3[/tex]

I know that if [itex]\{v_1,v_2,v_3\}[/itex] are a basis of [itex]V[/itex], then
[tex]\begin{array}{l} i_{v_1}\phi_1\wedge\phi_2\wedge\phi_3=\phi_2\wedge\phi_3 \\
i_{v_2}\phi_1\wedge\phi_2\wedge\phi_3=-\phi_1\wedge\phi_3 \\
i_{v_3}\phi_1\wedge\phi_2\wedge\phi_3=\phi_1\wedge\phi_2
\end{array}[/tex]

so

[tex]\omega=(a_{12}i_{v_3}-a_{13}i_{v_2}+a_{23}i_{v_1}) \phi_1\wedge\phi_2\wedge\phi_3[/tex]

and given the linearity

[tex]\omega=i_v\phi_1\wedge\phi_2\wedge\phi_3[/tex]

where [itex]v=a_{21}v_1-a_{13}v_2+a_{12}v_3[/itex].

Does that prove the result?

Other idea I had is to express [itex]\phi_i[/itex] in terms of the base of [itex]\Lambda^1(V)[/itex], but I seem to going nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that I've got it.

Let [itex]\phi_1,\phi_2\in \Lambda^1(V)[/itex], where
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\phi_1=a_1\varphi_1+a_2\varphi_2+a_3\varphi_3 \\
\phi_2=b_1\varphi_1+b_2\varphi_2+b_3\varphi_3
\end{array}
[/tex]

Then

[itex]\phi_1\wedge \phi_2=(a_1b_2-a_2b_1)\varphi_1\wedge\varphi_2+ (a_1b_3-a_3b_1)\varphi_1\wedge\varphi_3+ (a_2b_3-a_3b_2)\varphi_2\wedge\varphi_3[/tex]

So, given [itex]\omega \in \Lambda^2(V)[/itex], there are (many?) [itex]\phi_1,\phi_2\in\Lambda^1(V)[/itex] such that [itex]\omega=\phi_1\wedge\phi_2[/itex].

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

First of all, it is not a bother to ask questions and seek clarification. It shows that you are actively engaged in your studying and seeking to understand the material.

Now, to answer your question, your approach seems to be on the right track. The idea of using the inner product to prove decomposability is a common one, and it can be used in this case as well.

Your first step is correct in expressing \omega as a linear combination of \phi_i. Now, to prove decomposability, we need to show that there exists a \phi_i such that \omega=\phi_1\wedge\dots\wedge\phi_k.

To do this, we can use the Hodge star operator, denoted by * which maps k-forms to (n-k)-forms, where n is the dimension of the vector space V. In this case, since we are dealing with \Lambda^2(V), which is a 2-form, the Hodge star operator maps it to a 0-form (a scalar).

In general, for a 2-form \omega, the Hodge star operator is defined as *(\omega)=\frac{1}{2}\omega_{ij}\epsilon^{ij}, where \omega_{ij} are the components of \omega and \epsilon^{ij} is the Levi-Civita symbol.

Now, we can use the fact that for any \phi \in V^*, we have *(\phi\wedge\phi)=\phi\wedge*\phi=\phi\wedge\phi, since * is an involution (i.e., *^2=1).

Thus, we have *(\omega)=\frac{1}{2}(a_{12}\phi_1\wedge\phi_2+a_{13}\phi_1\wedge\phi_3+a_{23}\phi_2\wedge\phi_3)=\frac{1}{2}(\omega+\omega)=\omega.

This means that \omega is self-dual, i.e., *(\omega)=\omega.

Now, since \omega is self-dual, we can write it as \omega=\phi\wedge*\phi for some \phi \in V^*. But since we are dealing with a 2-form, we know that *(\phi)=\phi, so we can write \omega=\phi\

Related to Proving Decomposability of Forms in Spivak's Book (Vol. 1, Chap. 7)

1. What is the definition of decomposability in Spivak's Book?

Decomposability in Spivak's Book refers to the ability to break down a mathematical form or expression into simpler components that can be easily understood and manipulated.

2. How does Spivak prove the decomposability of forms in Chapter 7?

In Chapter 7, Spivak uses a combination of algebraic manipulations and geometric interpretations to demonstrate the decomposability of forms. He also provides several examples and exercises to help readers understand the concept.

3. What are some key concepts that are important for understanding decomposability in Spivak's Book?

Some key concepts that are important for understanding decomposability in Spivak's Book include linear independence, basis, and dimension. These concepts help to explain how forms can be decomposed into simpler components.

4. How does decomposability relate to other mathematical concepts?

Decomposability is closely related to concepts such as linear algebra, vector spaces, and multivariable calculus. It is also a fundamental concept in differential geometry, where it is used to study the properties of curved surfaces and spaces.

5. Why is understanding decomposability important in mathematics?

Understanding decomposability is important in mathematics because it allows us to break down complex forms and expressions into simpler parts, making them easier to analyze and manipulate. It also helps us to gain a deeper understanding of the underlying structures and relationships within mathematical objects.