Prove 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions

In summary, this person is asking why a proof of a fundamental property, 1 + 1 = 1, uses trigonometric functions, when they could just use addition. They are also asking why this is a textbook problem.
jontyjashan
Prove
1+1=2
using trigonometric functions

Physics news on Phys.org

That makes no sense. Why on Earth would you think that trigonometric functions are involved in the proof of 1 + 1 = 2?

Bit of an odd requirement, but I guess if you're allowed to use trig identities you can do it. The problem is though can we derive those identities without using simple addition in the first place, therefore do it without circular reasoning.

What is the purpose of this exercise, are you studying trigonometric identities? If this is an exercise to test your knowledge of trigonometry you could for example use:
[tex]
\cos x +\cos y=2\cos((x+y)/2)\cos((x-y)/2)
[/tex]

Last edited:

Cyosis said:
Bit of an odd requirement, but I guess if you're allowed to use trig identities you can do it. The problem is though can we derive those identities without using simple addition in the first place, therefore do it without circular reasoning.

What is the purpose of this exercise, are you studying trigonometric identities? If this is an exercise to test your knowledge of trigonometry you could for example use:
[tex]
\cos x +\cos y=\cos((x+y)/2)\cos((x-y)/2)
[/tex]

This proves 1 + 1 = 1
:-)

mma said:
This proves 1 + 1 = 1
:-)

... for a sufficiently large value of 1.

Whoops, let's be glad the formula I listed is wrong or we would be in trouble!

I forgot a factor of two it should of course be.

[tex]
\cos x +\cos y=2\cos((x+y)/2)\cos((x-y)/2)[/tex]

Fixed it in the original post as well.

how this proves 1+1=2
give detail

You don't prove 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions. You do that in set theory, or math logic.

troll

jontyjashan said:
how this proves 1+1=2
give detail

Substitute x = y = 0.

I am kind of starting to suspect this he is a troll as well. If you look at all his other topics, every post is vague, borderline preposterous and when asked to clarify he never bothers to do so.

i m not a troll

Then could you explain the reason behind this question perhaps? I have a hard time believing this is a textbook problem.

this is not a textbook question

Then what kind of question is it? Why are you insisting that a proof of such a fundamental property (it really is, basically, the definition of "2") use such sophisticated tools as trig functions?

Related to Prove 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions

1. How can trigonometric functions be used to prove 1+1=2?

Trigonometric functions can be used to prove 1+1=2 by first defining the values of sine and cosine for the angles 0 and π/2. Then, using the Pythagorean identity, sin^2(0) + cos^2(0) = 1 and sin^2(π/2) + cos^2(π/2) = 1. This shows that the sum of two 1s is equal to 2.

2. Can you explain the concept of proving 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions?

Proving 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions relies on the fact that sine and cosine are fundamental trigonometric functions that can be used to represent any angle in a right triangle. By using the Pythagorean identity and the definitions of these functions for specific angles, we can show that the sum of two 1s is equal to 2.

3. Why is it important to use trigonometric functions to prove 1+1=2?

Using trigonometric functions to prove 1+1=2 allows us to use mathematical principles and concepts to demonstrate the truth of a basic arithmetic equation. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the properties and relationships of trigonometric functions.

4. Are there other ways to prove 1+1=2 besides using trigonometric functions?

Yes, there are other ways to prove 1+1=2, such as using basic arithmetic principles, algebraic equations, or logical reasoning. However, using trigonometric functions provides a unique and interesting approach to proving this simple equation.

5. How does proving 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions relate to real-world applications?

While proving 1+1=2 using trigonometric functions may not have direct real-world applications, the use of trigonometric functions is essential in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. Understanding and being able to manipulate trigonometric functions is crucial for solving complex problems in these industries.