Properties of Derivations and of Tangent Vectors

In summary, J.Lee's Smooth Manifolds, Chapter 3 discusses Lemmas 3.1, 3.4 which state that linear maps L with the Leibniz property (i.e L(fg)(a)=f(a)L(g)+g(a)L(f) ) are derivations, and that these maps are tangent vectors when they are defined on the tangent space of a general (abstract) manifold.
Bacle
Hi, everyone:

I am going over J.Lee's Smooth Manifolds, Chapter 3; specifically, Lemmas

3.1, 3.4, in which he states properties of derivations. Lee calls linear maps L with the

Leibniz property (i.e L(fg)(a)=f(a)L(g)+g(a)L(f) ) derivations, when these maps are

defined in a subset of R^n, and he calls these same maps tangent vectors when these

maps are defined on the tangent space of a general (abstract) manifold. So far, so good.

**Now** , what I find confusing is this: that the lemmas are cited separately,

as if the two lemmas need different proofs; I don't see why different proofs

are necessary.

The two properties cited (same properties cited in lemmas 3.1, 3.4 respectively;

a),b) below are in lemma 3.1, and a'), b') are in lemma 3.4) )

are : (f is in C^oo(M) , a is a point in R^n , p is any point on the manifold M)

a) If f is a constant function, then Lf=0

b) If f(a)=g(a) , then L(fg)(a)=0

a') If f is a constant function, then Xf=0

b') If f(p)=g(p)=0 , then X(fg)(p)=0

The proof for a),b) are straightforward :

a) L(c)=X(1c)=1X(c)+cX(1)=cX(1)+cX(1)

b) L(fg)(p)=f(p)L(g)+g(p)L(f)

Now, why do we need separate proofs of the same facts for a') and b').?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you said it yourself: the first lemma talks about derivations of R^n, and the second one talks about derivations of a manifolds. Not every manifold is an R^n, so you need a proof for the case of a general manifold.

Hi, Quasar:

I don't see any difference between the two cases; in both cases we end up with

an expression f(a)Xg+g(a)Xf , with X linear and both f,g real-valued. I don't see

how both cases are not identical. Any hints, please.?

Well, it is just that in the second lemma, X is a derivation at p on the space of (germs of) smooth maps on the manifold. And those are defined as the (germs of) maps whose composition with the chart maps are smooth, whatever the smooth atlas may be. So, they are more complicated objects than the derivations at p on R^n, who are just the (germs of) smooth maps in the usual sense, which is a special case of the above in the case where the atlas is the one chart atlas (R^n, id).

So clearly the second lemma is a generalization of the first.

Thanks, Quasar:

I was considering working with maps f composed with chart maps, but , AFAIK,
the derivation of a composition is not defined; only the derivation on a product
is defined.

Related to Properties of Derivations and of Tangent Vectors

1. What is the definition of a derivation?

A derivation is a mathematical operator that describes how a function changes at a specific point. It is often represented as a vector or a linear transformation and is used to calculate the derivative of a function at a given point.

2. How are derivations and tangent vectors related?

Tangent vectors are a type of derivation that describe the rate of change of a function along a specific direction. They are closely related to derivations as they both involve calculating the derivative of a function at a specific point.

3. What are the properties of derivations?

There are several properties of derivations, including linearity, the Leibniz rule, and the chain rule. Linearity means that a derivation is a linear transformation, while the Leibniz rule states that the derivation of a product of two functions is equal to the first function times the derivation of the second function plus the second function times the derivation of the first function. The chain rule describes how to find the derivative of a composite function.

4. How do you calculate the derivative of a function using derivations?

To calculate the derivative of a function at a specific point using derivations, you can use the Leibniz rule or the chain rule. These rules involve using the properties of derivations and manipulating the function algebraically to find the derivative.

5. What are some real-world applications of properties of derivations and tangent vectors?

Properties of derivations and tangent vectors are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to analyze and model real-world phenomena. For example, they are used in physics to calculate the motion of objects and in economics to model the behavior of financial markets.