Problem with directional derivative

In summary, the problem is asking for the directional derivative of x^3 y^2/(x^2+Abs(y)^(2a)) at an point "a" in the domain {0,0}.
TonyEsposito
Hi guys! i have a problem, and I'm unable to solvie it :/
I have this two variable function: it is 0 in {0,0} while it is (x^3 y^2)/(x^2+Abs(y)^(2a)) elsewhere.
do...given the vector {l1,l2} they are asking me: for which "a" the directional derivative along that vector exist in {0,0}? and when it exist what it is? Despite the fact that i know the background theory I'm unable to do the problem, in particular I'm unable to complete the necessary limit :/

Physics news on Phys.org
TonyEsposito said:
Hi guys! i have a problem, and I'm unable to solvie it :/
I have this two variable function: it is 0 in {0,0} while it is (x^3 y^2)/(x^2+Abs(y)^(2a)) elsewhere.
do...given the vector {l1,l2} they are asking me: for which "a" the directional derivative along that vector exist in {0,0}? and when it exist what it is? Despite the fact that i know the background theory I'm unable to do the problem, in particular I'm unable to complete the necessary limit :/
Is this homework?

what do u mean by homework?

TonyEsposito said:
what do u mean by homework?
Like - you are taking a course and you have been given some problems to solve .

The question looks like as if the homework template should have been used. If you start a thread there - in this case in
https://www.physicsforums.com/forums/calculus-and-beyond-homework.156/
then the template will automatically be applied:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Thus, e.g. the definition of the directional derivative would be expected in section 2 and some effort from your side to solve the problem in section 3, i.e. where exactly did you get stuck and why. This is not meant to peeve you! It is meant to lay a common basis on which we can solve the problem together. Don't forget this is internet and the chances are high, that we might misunderstand each other. So the template serves the function of clarification.

Likes jim mcnamara and SammyS

Related to Problem with directional derivative

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of how a function changes in a specific direction from a given point. It is used to determine the rate of change of a function in a particular direction.

2. What is the significance of a directional derivative?

The directional derivative is significant because it allows us to understand how a function changes in a specific direction, which can be useful in optimization problems and understanding the behavior of a function.

3. How is the directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated by taking the dot product of the gradient vector of the function and the unit vector in the desired direction. This dot product represents the rate of change of the function in that direction.

4. What is the difference between the gradient and the directional derivative?

The gradient is a vector that points in the direction of steepest ascent of a function, while the directional derivative is a scalar that represents the rate of change of the function in a specific direction.

5. Can the directional derivative be negative?

Yes, the directional derivative can be negative if the rate of change of the function in the given direction is decreasing. This can occur when the direction is opposite to the direction of steepest ascent, or when the function is concave downwards in that direction.