Directional derivative: identity

In summary: A(s))|s=0 = v_x \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} + v_y \frac{\partial f(x) }{\partial y} + v_z \frac{\partial\ f(x) }{\partial z}
Waxterzz
Hi all,

According to wikipedia:

Directional derivatives can be also denoted by:

wua00Rf.png
where v is a parameterization of a curve to which v is tangent and which determines its magnitude.

Can someone explain to me with a mathematical proof the following:

$$ \frac {\partial f(x)} {\partial v} = \hat v \cdot \nabla f(x) $$

I don't get this identity except the special example where the partial derivative of f(x) wrt x is a special kind of a directional derivative along the x axis, because the other components of the gradient vector cancel in the dot product with the unit vector along the direction of x.$$ \frac {\partial f(x)} {\partial x} = \hat i \cdot \nabla f(x) $$

So can someone explain to me in a mathematical way how to proof the general identity?Identity:

$$ \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial v} = \hat v . \nabla f(x) $$

So gradient is:

$$ \nabla f(x)= \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} \hat i +\frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial y} \hat j +\frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial z} \hat k $$

Random unit vector is:

$$ \hat v = v_x \hat i + v_y \hat j+ v_z \hat k $$

RHS of identity:

$$\hat v . \nabla f(x)= v_x \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} + v_y \frac{\partial f(x) }{\partial y} + v_z \frac{\partial\ f(x) }{\partial z} $$

LHS:

$$ \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial v} = v_x \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial x} + v_y \frac{\partial f(x) }{\partial y} + v_z \frac{\partial\ f(x) }{\partial z} $$

I don't see it how the partial derivative on the left side is actually a directional derivative.

In plain english: where does the v comes from in $$ \frac{\partial f(x)}{\partial v} $$ ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For example, think of ##\frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial((3,6,1))} ## as ## D_t f(x+3t,y+6t,z+1t)|_{t=0} ##.

## = ( \frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial x})(3) + ( \frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial y})(6) + ( \frac{\partial f(x,y,z)}{\partial z})(1) ## where the partial derivatives are evaluated at ##(x,y,z)## since after doing the partial derivatives with the varable ##t## present in their arguments, we set ##t = 0##.

It may help to do the work using a specific function like ## f(x,y,z) = x + xy + z^2##.

I think they're just saying that these are different notations for the same concept. There is no proof involved in a notation, it's just a convention.

The idea behind a directional derivative in terms of tangents to a parametrized path is just this: Suppose you have a function [itex]f(x,y,z)[/itex] defined at different points in space that returns a real number. Suppose you have a parameterized path giving a location [itex](x(s), y(s), z(s))[/itex] as a function of a real-valued parameter [itex]s[/itex] that increases as you move along the path. Then you can combine the two to get a function from reals to reals: [itex]F(s) \equiv f(x(s), y(s), z(s))[/itex]. Since [itex]F(s)[/itex] is just an ordinary function, you can take an ordinary derivative. Using the chain rule,

[itex]\frac{dF}{ds} = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{ds} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{ds} + \frac{\partial f}{\partial z} \frac{dz}{ds}[/itex]

The right-hand side of the equality can be written more compactly as:

[itex]\frac{dF}{ds} = \vec{V} \cdot \nabla f[/itex]

where [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] is the vector with components [itex]V^x = \frac{dx}{ds}, V^y = \frac{dy}{ds}, V^z = \frac{dz}{ds}[/itex], and [itex]\nabla f[/itex] is the "covector" with components [itex](\nabla f)_x = \frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, (\nabla f)_y = \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}, (\nabla f)_z = \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}[/itex]

So the directional derivative [itex]\vec{V} \cdot \nabla[/itex] applied to a scalar field (real-valued function of position, [itex]f[/itex]) can be understood as the result of the following computation:
  • Find some parametrized path [itex](x(s), y(s), z(s))[/itex] such that [itex]\vec{V}[/itex] is the corresponding "tangent vector".
  • Compute the rate of change of [itex]f[/itex] as [itex]s[/itex] increases along the path.

"I think they're just saying that these are different notations for the same concept. There is no proof involved in a notation, it's just a convention."

No, it is a theorem (though not at all a difficult one), which is in fact proved in the same post that the above quote appears in.

At first, we can speak of the derivative of a function, say

f(x, y, z),​

along a parametrized path

A(s) = (x(s), y(s), z(s)),​

as defined by

d/ds f(A(s))|s=0 = d/ds (f(x(s), y(s), z(s))|s=0 .

At this point, for all we know this depends on more than just the derivative A'(0) at s=0 of the path A(s).

But then by doing the calculation in #3 ("using the chain rule"), we find out that this derivative depends only on A'(0) (and of course on f(x, y, z) near A(0)). So it is the dot product of the gradient ∇f and the tangent vector A'(0) to the path A(s) at s=0.

Related to Directional derivative: identity

1. What is a directional derivative?

A directional derivative is a measure of the rate of change of a function in a specific direction. It gives the slope of the function in the direction of a vector at a particular point.

2. How is the directional derivative calculated?

The directional derivative is calculated using the dot product of the gradient vector of the function and the unit vector in the specified direction. This dot product is then multiplied by the magnitude of the gradient vector to get the directional derivative.

3. What is the identity property of directional derivatives?

The identity property states that the directional derivative of a function in the direction of the zero vector is equal to the partial derivative of the function in that direction. This means that the rate of change in the direction of no movement is equal to the rate of change in the direction of the coordinate axis.

4. How is the identity property useful in calculating directional derivatives?

The identity property allows us to use the partial derivatives of a function to calculate its directional derivatives. This can be more efficient than using the definition of directional derivatives, which involves taking limits.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the identity property?

The physical interpretation of the identity property is that the directional derivative of a function in the direction of no movement is equal to the instantaneous rate of change of the function in the direction of the coordinate axis. This can be thought of as the rate of change of the function at a particular point in the absence of any external forces or constraints.