Prime divisors hyperelliptic curves

In summary, prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves are prime numbers that divide the coefficients of the polynomial equation describing the curve. They play a significant role in determining the arithmetic properties of the curve, such as its genus and the number of rational points. To calculate prime divisors, the polynomial equation is factored into irreducible polynomials over a finite field, and the prime divisors are determined by finding the prime factors of the coefficients. These prime divisors can have special properties and are crucial in determining the security of hyperelliptic curve cryptography.
yavanna
Every divisor [itex]D[/itex] associated to a hyperelliptic curve over [itex]\mathbb{F}_q[/itex] can be represented by a couple of polynomials [itex]D=div(a(x),b(x))[/itex] (Mumfor representation):
http://www.google.it/url?url=http:/...pyTszxEIfDtAa5yaGDBw&ved=0CCMQygQwAA&cad=rja"

A divisor [itex]D[/itex] is prime if [itex]a(x)[/itex] is irreducible over [itex]\mathbb{F}_q[/itex].
I'm trying to prove that a semi-reduced divisor can be written as a combination of prime divisors factoring [itex]a(x) [/itex]:
if [itex]a(x)=\prod a_{i}(x)^{c_i} [/itex], then [itex]D=\sum c_i div(a_i(x),y-b_i(x))[/itex], where [itex]b_i \equiv b \textit{mod}a_i[/itex]

I've some problems with [itex]y-b_i(x)[/itex], any ideas?

(I think the author of the article had some notation problems, if we express [itex]D=div(a(x),b(x))[/itex] it should be [itex]D=\sum c_i div(a_i(x),b_i(x))[/itex], where [itex]D=div(a(x),b(x))[/itex] means [itex]D=gcd (div(a(x)),div(y-b(x)))[/itex] )

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. The Mumford representation of a divisor D=div(a(x),b(x)) on a hyperelliptic curve over \mathbb{F}_q is a useful tool for studying the properties of divisors on such curves. In order to address your question about the semi-reduced divisor, I would first like to clarify a few things about the Mumford representation.

The Mumford representation of a divisor D=div(a(x),b(x)) is a way of writing D as a sum of prime divisors. In this representation, the prime divisors are of the form div(a_i(x),y-b_i(x)), where a_i(x) and b_i(x) are polynomials and y is a variable. The key property of this representation is that the divisors in the sum are pairwise relatively prime, meaning that any two of them have no common factors.

Now, let's consider your question about a semi-reduced divisor. A semi-reduced divisor is a divisor D=div(a(x),b(x)) where a(x) and b(x) have no common factors, but b(x) may have repeated factors. In this case, we can write b(x)=\prod b_i(x)^{c_i}, where the b_i(x) are pairwise relatively prime and c_i are positive integers. Using this factorization, we can rewrite D as a sum of prime divisors:

D=\sum c_i div(a(x),y-b_i(x))

Note that this is similar to the Mumford representation, except that the b_i(x) are not necessarily linear in y. However, we can still use this representation to study the properties of semi-reduced divisors.

Now, let's address your question about the notation y-b_i(x). This notation is used to indicate that the divisor div(a_i(x),y-b_i(x)) is a prime divisor, meaning that a_i(x) is irreducible over \mathbb{F}_q. This is important because it allows us to factor a semi-reduced divisor into a sum of prime divisors, as shown above.

I hope this helps clarify the Mumford representation and how it relates to semi-reduced divisors. If you have further questions or need more clarification, please let me know. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

Related to Prime divisors hyperelliptic curves

1. What are prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves?

Prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves refer to the prime numbers that divide the coefficients of the polynomial equation describing the curve. They are essential in understanding the structure and behavior of hyperelliptic curves.

2. What is the significance of prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves?

The prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves play a crucial role in determining the arithmetic properties of the curve, such as its genus and the number of rational points. They also help in studying the algebraic structure of the curve and its applications in cryptography.

3. How are prime divisors calculated in hyperelliptic curves?

To calculate prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves, the polynomial equation of the curve is factored into irreducible polynomials over a finite field. The prime divisors are then determined by finding the prime factors of the coefficients of these irreducible polynomials.

4. Can prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves have any special properties?

Yes, prime divisors in hyperelliptic curves can have special properties. For example, they can be used to determine the number of rational points on the curve, which is important in cryptographic applications. They can also be used to study the group structure of the curve and its applications in coding theory.

5. How are prime divisors related to the security of hyperelliptic curve cryptography?

The security of hyperelliptic curve cryptography depends on the difficulty of calculating the prime divisors in the curve. If the prime divisors are easy to determine, the curve is vulnerable to attacks. Therefore, the choice of prime divisors is crucial in ensuring the security of hyperelliptic curve cryptography.