Position velocity equation free response

In summary, the particle starts at point (1,0) with an initial velocity of 1 and moves along the x-axis with velocity v(t) = (1+t)/(1+t^2). To find the maximum velocity, we take the derivative and set it equal to 0. After using the quotient rule, we get t=0.577 and v(0.577) = 1.433. The position of the particle at time t can be expressed as s(t) = 1 + t + ln√(1+t^2). As t approaches infinity, the velocity approaches a limit, which can be found by taking the limit of v(t).
syeh

Homework Statement

A partcile starts att he point (1,0) and t=0 and moves along the x-axis so that at time t≥0 its velocity v(t) is given by v(t)= [itex]\frac{1+ t}{(1+t^2)}[/itex]

A) Determine the maximum velocity of the particle.

B) Find an expression for the position s(t) of the particle at time t.

C) What is the limiting value of the veolicty as t increases without bound?

D) Determine for which values of t, if any, the particle reaches the point (101,0)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) To find the maximum velocity:
Checked endpoints: t=0
v(0)=1

Where v'(t)=0: (using chain rule:
v'(t)= [itex]\frac{(1+t^2)(1)-(t)(2t)}{(1+t^2)^2}[/itex]
=[itex]\frac{1+ t^2 - 2t^2}{(1+t^2)^2}[/itex]
0=1+ t^2 - 2t^2
t=0.577
V(.577)=1.433

Where v'(t)=∅
none

So the max. velocity is 1.433

The answers said it was 1.5, but that might just be from rounding

B) I don't know how to find an expression of the position. it starts at (1,0) which is an odd place to start. how to i put that into the equation?

The answer says s(t) = 1+ t + ln√(1+t^2)

How did they get that?!?

C) So I guess limiting value is asking if its approaching a number? Like a limit? How do i find that?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$v(t)=\frac{1+t}{1-t^2}$$... by the quotient rule, turning points where: $$\frac{dv}{dt}=0$$ ... I don't know why you cited the chain rule here, use the quotient rule.
Anyway, I don't think this step was correct. Review: $$\left ( \frac{f}{g} \right )^\prime = \frac{gf^\prime - fg^\prime}{g^2}$$ .. what are f and g and f' and g' in your case?

(A) seems right to me. As for (B), what happens when you integrate velocity? For (C) it's asking for the limit of the velocity if t is boundless, so what does that mean?

EDIT: Actually, now that I look at your solution for (A), you are forgetting a 't' in the numerator when you apply the quotient rule. Look closely at it.

Related to Position velocity equation free response

What is the position velocity equation?

The position velocity equation is a mathematical representation of the relationship between an object's position and its velocity. It is commonly written as x = x0 + v0t + 1/2at2, where x is the object's final position, x0 is the initial position, v0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time elapsed.

How is the position velocity equation derived?

The position velocity equation is derived from the basic equations of motion, which are based on Newton's laws of motion. It can be derived using calculus, specifically integration and differentiation.

What information does the position velocity equation provide?

The position velocity equation provides information about an object's position and velocity at a given point in time. It can be used to calculate the object's final position, initial position, or velocity, as well as the time elapsed or acceleration.

Can the position velocity equation be used for any type of motion?

Yes, the position velocity equation can be used for any type of motion, whether it is linear, circular, or projectile motion. It is a general equation that can be applied to a wide range of physical situations.

What are the units of measurement for the variables in the position velocity equation?

The units of measurement for the variables in the position velocity equation will depend on the system of units used. However, in the SI (metric) system, the units are typically meters (m) for position, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, meters per second squared (m/s2) for acceleration, and seconds (s) for time.