On weakly singular equations and Frobenius' method

psie
Homework Statement
Find a basis for the solution space of (a) ##t(t-1)^2x''-2x=0, 0<t<1## and (b) ##4(t^2+t^3)x''-4tx'+(3+t)x=0, t>0##.
Relevant Equations
This exercise appears in a section on the Frobenius' method. Some results related to this method are given below.
Definition 2. The differential equation $$x''(z)+p(z)x'(z)+q(z)x(x)=0\tag1$$ is called weakly singular at the origin if ##p(z)## has at most a simple pole and ##q(z)## at most a double pole there, in other words, if $$p(z)=\frac{p_0}{z}+p_1+p_2z+\ldots,\quad q(z)=\frac{q_0}{z^2}+\frac{q_1}{z}+q_2+q_3z\ldots .$$

Theorem 6. A basis for the solution space of ##(1)## is $$z^\mu a(z),\quad z^\nu b(z),$$ or $$z^\mu a(z),\quad (z^\mu \log(z))a(z)+z^\nu b(z).$$ Here ##a(z)## and ##b(z)## are analytic functions in a neighborhood of the origin.

##\mu## is a root of the so-called indicial equation ##I(\lambda)=\lambda(\lambda-1)+p_0\lambda+q_0##. ##\nu## can also be a root of the indicial equation, or we may have ##\mu=\nu##

My attempt so far is trying to characterize both equations according to Definition 2, as well as identifying ##p_0## and ##q_0##, so I can obtain the indicial equation. Then I could probably solve this myself.

My strategy is to rewrite the equation on the form given in Definition 2, so for (a) $$x''-\frac{2}{t(t-1)^2}x=0,$$ and (b) $$x''-\frac{t}{t^2+t^3}x'+\frac{3+t}{t^2+t^3}x=0\iff x''-\frac{1}{t(1+t)}x'+\frac{3+t}{t^2(1+t)}x=0.$$ I struggle with the fact that both these equations do not seem to satisfy Definition 2. In particular, there seems to be a pole both at the origin and at ##z=\pm1##. I have not encountered a problem like this before and I'm a little puzzled on how to continue. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Both of these satisfy Definition 2; they just do so at multiple points. Note that in (b) you are asked for solutions in [itex]t > 0[/itex], so the behaviour near the other singular point at -1 is of no consequence.

In (a), you can either obtain a basis whose behaviour near the origin is known, or a basis whose behaviour near 1 is known. Doing both and expressing them in terms of each other is probably beyond the scope of the question.

Likes psie
Take for example (a). We can use partial fraction decomposition to get $$x''-\frac{2}{t(t-1)^2}x=0\iff x''-\left(\frac2{(t-1)^2}-\frac2{t-1}+\frac2{t}\right)x=0.$$ I'm confused about how to identify ##q_0## here, since ##q(z)## is not of the form ##q(z)=\frac{q_0}{z^2}+\frac{q_1}{z}+q_2+q_3z\ldots##.

Moreover, should my attempt/ansatz be modified so that the power series is centered at ##t=1##, i.e. ##t^\mu a(t)=t^\mu\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(t-1)^k##? This seems to cause trouble with the fraction ##\frac2{t}## in the equation...

Since I have the solution to (a), I'll just post it here: ##x(t)=A\frac{t}{1-t}+B\left(t+1+\frac{2t}{1-t}\log(t)\right).##

Last edited:
psie said:
Take for example (a). We can use partial fraction decomposition to get $$x''-\frac{2}{t(t-1)^2}x=0\iff x''-\left(\frac2{(t-1)^2}-\frac2{t-1}+\frac2{t}\right)x=0.$$ I'm confused about how to identify ##q_0## here, since ##q(z)## is not of the form ##q(z)=\frac{q_0}{z^2}+\frac{q_1}{z}+q_2+q_3z\ldots##.
[tex]\begin{split}
q(t) &= -\frac{2}{t(1-t)^2} \\
&= -\frac 2t (1 - t)^{-2} \\
& = -\frac2t \left(1 + (-2)(-t) +\frac{(-2)(-3)}{2!}(-t)^2 + \dots\right) \\
&= \frac{q_0}{t^2} + \frac{q_1}{t} +\dots \\
\end{split}[/tex] so that [itex]q_0 = 0[/itex] and [itex]q_1 = -4[/itex] (EDIT: -2 is correct).

Moreover, should my attempt/ansatz be modified so that the power series is centered at ##t=1##, i.e. ##t^\mu a(t)=t^\mu\sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(t-1)^k##? This seems to cause trouble with the fraction ##\frac2{t}## in the equation...

You want [tex]
x(t) = (1 - t)^{\mu}a(t) = (1 - t)^{\mu} \sum_{k=0}^\infty a_k(1-t)^k.[/tex] This follows from substituting [itex]t = 1 - u[/itex] so that [itex]0 < u = 1 - t < 1[/itex] is positive (and [itex]u^{\mu}[/itex] is real and positive).

Last edited:
Likes psie
Ok, so far I've been able to find one solution to (a). Identifying ##q_0=0## and ##p_0=0## in (a), the indicial equation reads $$\lambda(\lambda-1)=0,$$ with roots ##\mu=1## and ##\nu=0##. I'll try the Ansatz $$\sum_{k=0}^{\infty}a_k t^{k}.$$ Expanding ##\frac{2}{(t-1)^2}##, the ODE reads $$\sum a_k k(k-1)t^{k-2} = \sum 2(k+1)t^k \sum a_kt^{k-1},$$ where the index runs from ##k\geq0##. Here we observe that ##a_0=0##, since the RHS would otherwise contain a term with ##1/t##, whereas the LHS does not. So, the ODE reads $$\sum a_{k+2}(k+2)(k+1)t^k = \sum 2(k+1)t^k \sum a_{k+1}t^k,$$where sums again go from ##k\geq0##. Put ##c_k = 2(k+1)## and ##d_k = a_{k+1}##. From products of power series, we know that the coefficients in the RHS will be ##\sum_{j=0}^k d_j c_{k-j} = \sum_{j=0}^k a_{j+1}\cdot 2(k-j+1)##. Thus we obtain the recurrence relation $$a_{k+2}(k+2)(k+1) = \sum_{j=0}^k a_{j+1}\cdot 2(k-j+1)\iff a_{k+2} = \sum_{j=0} \frac{2(k-j+1)}{(k+2)(k+1)}a_{j+1}.$$ ##a_1## seems to be quite arbitrary, so put ##a_1=C\in\mathbb C##, then it follows by induction that ##a_k=a_1## for ##k\geq 1##. We thus obtain the solution $$x_0(t)=C\frac{t}{1-t}.$$

The other solution will either be of the form ##t b(t)## or ##\log(t)a(t)+t b(t)##, where ##a(t)=x_0(t)## and ##b(t)## is analytic, according to the theorem above. How do I know which one to guess? I'm looking for the path of least work.

Having obtained one solution [itex]x_1[/itex], you can obtain a second linearly independent solution [tex]
x_2(t) = x_1(t)\int_{t_0}^t \frac{W(s)}{x_1^2(s)}\,ds[/tex] where [itex]W = x_1x_2' - x_2x_1'[/itex] satisfies [tex]W' = -pW.[/tex] In this case [itex]p = 0[/itex] so you can take [itex]W = 1[/itex].

Likes psie
Thank you. I have found a second solution to (a) and indeed, the general solution agrees with the solution I posted earlier.

I'm trying to convince myself that (b) also satisfies Definition 2 (so I can find ##p_0## and ##q_0##). Recall $$x''-\frac{t}{t^2+t^3}x'+\frac{3+t}{4(t^2+t^3)}x=0\iff x''-\frac{1}{t(1+t)}x'+\frac{3+t}{4t^2(1+t)}x=0.$$ I guess to see that it is of the form as given in definition 2, we need to expand ##1/(1+t)##, but can we do that when the series for ##1/(1+t)## only converges for ##|t|<1## and we are looking for solutions in ##t>0##?

psie said:
I guess to see that it is of the form as given in definition 2, we need to expand ##1/(1+t)##, but can we do that when the series for ##1/(1+t)## only converges for ##|t|<1## and we are looking for solutions in ##t>0##?

Yes. You should not expect the power series for [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] about the origin to have radius of convergence greater than 1, due to the singularity at [itex]-1[/itex]. The resulting series solution may not have radius of convergence greater than 1 for the same reason; however it may be possible to continue it analytically to some open region of [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex] which contains [itex][1, \infty)[/itex].

Here, however, it is not necessary to do a series expansion: you can see from [tex]
q(t) = \frac{3 + t}{4t^2(1 + t)} = \frac{1}{4t^2}\left( 1 + \frac{2}{1 + t} \right)[/tex] that [itex]t^2q(t)[/itex] is analytic at the origin. Hence [tex]
t^2 q(t) = q_0 + q_1 t + \dots \Rightarrow q(t) = q_0t^{-2} + q_1t^{-1} + \dots[/tex] so that evaluating [itex]\lim_{t \to 0} t^2q(t)[/itex] will give [itex]q_0 = 3/4[/itex]. In the same way you can see that [itex]tp(t)[/itex] is analytic at the origin, so that [itex]p_0 = \lim_{t \to 0} tp(t) = -1[/itex].

Likes psie