Please me to understand Einstein notation and permutations

In summary, the conversation is about understanding Einstein notation and permutations. The speaker is struggling to comprehend how to write A_ij = e_ijk a_k out as a matrix, particularly when k and the Kronecker delta are involved. They are looking for a clear explanation or resources to help them understand. Some suggested sources for further reading include the Levi-Civita symbol, permutation symbol, and the Levi-Civita permutation symbol. The conversation also assumes that the summation convention is already understood.
Tiggy
Hey,
Can anyone help me to understand einstein notation and permutations? I have a book, but it's not very clear. I really don't understand how you can write A_ij = e_ijk a_k out as a matrix? To start with I understand that a matrix can be represented as A_ij where i is the row and j is the column. However, I don't understand as soon as k and the kronecker delta become involved! Anyone know of any good way to explain this or books or websites??

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Sure, I'd be happy to help you understand Einstein notation and permutations. Einstein notation, also known as index notation or tensor notation, is a way of writing mathematical equations involving tensors (objects that have both magnitude and direction, such as vectors and matrices). It simplifies the notation and makes it easier to perform calculations involving tensors. In Einstein notation, repeated indices in an equation indicate summation over those indices, similar to the summation convention in traditional algebraic notation. This allows for more compact and concise writing of equations.

As for the permutation aspect, permutations refer to the rearrangement of the indices in a tensor. In Einstein notation, this is denoted by the kronecker delta, which is a symbol that represents a matrix with ones on the main diagonal and zeros everywhere else. This allows for the rearrangement of indices without changing the value of the equation. For example, A_ij = A_ji, where the kronecker delta ensures that the two sides of the equation are equal.

To write A_ij = e_ijk a_k as a matrix, you would use the kronecker delta to rearrange the indices. For example, if we have a 3x3 matrix A, we can write it in Einstein notation as A_ij, where i and j range from 1 to 3. The kronecker delta allows us to rearrange the indices to A_ji, which would result in the same matrix but with the rows and columns switched. Similarly, the e_ijk term represents a tensor with three indices, and the kronecker delta allows us to rearrange the indices to e_jik, which again results in the same tensor but with the indices rearranged.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify things for you. As for additional resources, you may want to check out textbooks on linear algebra or tensor analysis, as well as online tutorials or videos on Einstein notation. Practice and exposure to different examples will also aid in your understanding. Let me know if you have any further questions or need clarification. Good luck!

Related to Please me to understand Einstein notation and permutations

What is Einstein notation?

Einstein notation, also known as tensor notation or index notation, is a method of representing and manipulating multilinear algebraic expressions. It uses indices to represent the components of a tensor, allowing for concise and efficient mathematical expressions.

How is Einstein notation used in physics?

Einstein notation is commonly used in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and electromagnetism. It allows for the compact representation of equations involving tensors, which are important in describing physical phenomena such as gravity and electromagnetic fields.

What are the benefits of using Einstein notation?

Einstein notation offers several benefits, including increased efficiency in mathematical expressions and the ability to easily represent and manipulate tensors of different orders. It also helps to avoid the need for cumbersome summation symbols in equations involving multiple indices.

What are permutations in Einstein notation?

In Einstein notation, permutations refer to the different ways in which the indices of a tensor can be arranged. Permutations are important in tensor calculus because they affect the value of a tensor and the way it transforms under coordinate transformations.

How do I perform calculations with Einstein notation?

To perform calculations with Einstein notation, you will first need to understand the rules and conventions for manipulating tensors and their indices. These include the Einstein summation convention and the rules for raising and lowering indices. It is also important to keep track of the order of the indices and any permutations that may be involved.