Null geodesics of light from a black hole accretion disk

In summary, the person is trying to solve a problem where they are given the equation for a light path, but they are not sure how to solve it. They learned latex which may help them with the equation, but they still need help understanding what the problem is.
Favicon
Sorry I don't know latex so this may look a little messy.

Homework Statement

I'm trying to solve the equation for null geodesics of light traveling from a rotating black hole accretion disk to an observer at r = infinity. The point of emission for each photon is given by co-ordinates r, phi where r is radial distance from centre of the black hole, phi is azimuthal angle around the accretion disk (phi = 0 is defined to be the tangent point). The problem is stated as follows:

"Light travels on null geodesics given by the solution of the equation

d2u/dphi2 = 3u2 - u

where u = 1/r. The full paths can be found by integrating this from u=1/rem, phiem to u = 0 (r=infinity), phi = 0. This requires varying the initial gradient (du/dphi)em = - uemtanE until the correct solution is found for an angle E = E' + theta, where E' is the 'straight line' angle, and theta is the additional deflection from lightbending as the photon travels from rem to infinity. Explore the size of theta to estimate where the straight line approximation may break down."

I've also been told that to solve the equation I need to split it into two 1st order ODEs, but I'm not sure how to do that.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really struggling just to try and understand the description, let alone solve the equation. Please could someone explain to me what this means and how I can extract the light paths from the given equations?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Favicon said:
Sorry I don't know latex so this may look a little messy.

I learned latex when I joined Physics Forums. See

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997.
Favicon said:
I'm trying to solve the equation for null geodesics of light traveling from a rotating black hole
Favicon said:
"Light travels on null geodesics given by the solution of the equation

d2u/dphi2 = 3u2 - u

where u = 1/r.

But this equation is for null geodesics of non-rotating black holes. Is this what you want to do?
Favicon said:
I've also been told that to solve the equation I need to split it into two 1st order ODEs, but I'm not sure how to do that.

This second-order equation can be reduced to a pair of first-order equations by setting [itex]p = du/d\phi[/itex], so that [itex]dp/d\phi = d^2 u/d\phi^2[/itex]. Consequently,
the second-order equation is eqiuvalent to

[tex]
\begin{equation*}
\begin{split}
\frac{du}{d\phi} &= p \\
\frac{dp}{d \phi} &= 3u^2 - u.\\
\end{split}
\end{equation*}
[/tex]

Thanks for the latex tip.

But this equation is for null geodesics of non-rotating black holes. Is this what you want to do?
Yes it probably is a non-rotating black hole. I'm actually writing a program to produce the expected line spectrum from a black hole, but the description I've been given (to explain the physics of relativistic line smearing) isn't very clear so when it talked about the motion of the accretion disk I assumed it meant the black hole itself was rotating.

[tex]\frac{du}{d\phi} = p[/tex]
[tex]\frac{dp}{d\phi} = 3u^{2} - u[/tex]

So now I have
[tex]\frac{du}{d\phi} = p_{em} = -u_{em}tan(E)[/tex]
and have to vary E? But I still can't see how I'll know when I've found the correct value for E.

Related to Null geodesics of light from a black hole accretion disk

1. What are null geodesics of light from a black hole accretion disk?

Null geodesics are the paths that light takes as it travels through spacetime. In the context of a black hole accretion disk, these are the paths that light takes as it bends and curves around the intense gravitational field of the black hole.

2. How are null geodesics affected by a black hole's accretion disk?

The intense gravitational pull of a black hole's accretion disk causes light to follow curved paths, rather than straight lines. This means that light can appear to be "bent" or distorted as it travels through the accretion disk.

3. Can null geodesics of light from a black hole accretion disk be observed?

Yes, these curved paths of light can be observed through astronomical instruments, such as telescopes. However, the effects may be subtle and can only be detected with advanced technology.

4. How does the mass and rotation of a black hole affect null geodesics?

The mass and rotation of a black hole can significantly impact the path of light as it travels through the accretion disk. A more massive black hole will have a stronger gravitational pull, causing more severe distortions of the light's path. Additionally, a rotating black hole can cause light to spiral around it, creating complex patterns in the null geodesics.

5. What can studying null geodesics of light from a black hole accretion disk tell us about the black hole itself?

Studying the curved paths of light can provide insights into the properties of the black hole, such as its mass, rotation, and accretion rate. By analyzing the distortions in the null geodesics, scientists can also learn about the structure of the accretion disk and the surrounding environment of the black hole.