Mutual inductance in a spark plug

In summary, the ignition coil supplies 20kV to the spark plugs and has a maximum current of 4.0A, which is interrupted 100 times per second. To estimate the mutual inductance of the primary and secondary coils, a reasonable model of the current needs to be created using equations such as \Phi1=MI2 and \Phi2=MI1. Based on this, a sinusoidal or periodic exponential function could be used. One possible solution is to use the equation EMF=-M dI/dt, with the assumption that the current has the form I(t)=I_{max}ft, 0≤t≤\frac{1}{f} and I(t+\frac{1
frogjg2003

Homework Statement

The ignition coil supplies V=20kV to the spark plugs.
The maximum current in primary coil Imax=4.0A.
The current is interrupted 100 times/sec by the distributor points.

Estimate the mutual inductance M of the primary and secondary coils.
Hint: I have to make a reasonable model of the current I(t).

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex]1=MI2
[itex]\Phi[/itex]2=MI1
[itex]\Phi[/itex] is the magnetic flux through the coil

I don't think it's necessary, but Neumann's equation might be useful.

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't visualize what this is supposed to look like. I'm assuming the two coils are coaxial. Are they interwoven? Is one inside of the other? Do they have the same coil density or number of turns?

The other problem I'm having is that I can't decide what a good model function to use for the current.
My best guess would be either a sinusoidal function, or a periodic exponential function.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figured it out.
There was a very short part in the chapter that talked about spark plugs. Right before, it gave the equation:
EMF=-M dI/dt
Assuming that the current has the form:
[itex]I(t)=I_{max}ft, 0≤t≤\frac{1}{f}[/itex]
[itex]I(t+\frac{1}{f})=I(t)[/itex]

Then, ignoring sign, the mutual inductance becomes
[itex]M=\frac{V}{I_{max}f}=0.5H[/itex]

Related to Mutual inductance in a spark plug

1. What is mutual inductance in a spark plug?

Mutual inductance in a spark plug refers to the phenomenon in which a changing current in one coil (the primary coil) induces a current in another nearby coil (the secondary coil), resulting in the production of a spark to ignite the fuel mixture in an internal combustion engine.

2. How does mutual inductance work in a spark plug?

In a spark plug, the primary coil is connected to the battery and the secondary coil is connected to the spark plug wire. When the primary coil receives an electrical current from the battery, it creates a magnetic field. This changing magnetic field induces a current in the secondary coil, which then produces a high voltage spark to ignite the fuel mixture.

3. What factors affect mutual inductance in a spark plug?

The strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in each coil, the distance between the two coils, and the frequency of the current are all factors that can affect mutual inductance in a spark plug.

4. How is mutual inductance measured in a spark plug?

Mutual inductance in a spark plug is typically measured in units of henrys (H) using a device called an inductance meter. This device measures the amount of inductance produced in the secondary coil when a specific current is applied to the primary coil.

5. What is the importance of mutual inductance in a spark plug?

Mutual inductance is crucial in a spark plug as it allows for the efficient transfer of energy from the battery to the spark plug, resulting in the production of a spark to ignite the fuel mixture. Without mutual inductance, the spark plug would not be able to function properly, leading to a decrease in engine performance and potentially causing damage to the engine.