Mutual Inductance and Ampere's law

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving mutual inductance and a wire and circular loop. The person is having trouble with the mathematics and is trying to use Ampere's law and the formula for magnetic flux to solve the problem. They are unsure of how to put it in mathematical terms and are not sure which coordinate system to use.
Antepolleo
It's electromagnetics time again.
I'm horribly stuck on a homework problem. It has to do with mutual inductance, and I know how the problem works conceptually, but I'm having a difficult time with the mathematics. The problem:A very long (read: infinite) wire is a distance d from the center of a conducting circular loop of radius b. Find the mutual inductance between them.

I know, by Ampere's law, the the magnetic flux density of the wire will be
[tex]\vec{B}=\frac{\mu_{0}I}{2 \pi r}\hat{a}_{\phi}[/tex]

With r being the distance from the wire. I know this will cause a magnetic flux to pass through the surface enclosed by the circular loop, and it will not be uniform. I can't for the life of me figure out how to put this in mathematical terms. I'm pretty sure I need to use this:

[tex]\phi = \int_{S}\vec{B} \cdot d \vec{s}[/tex]

But I'm not sure where to put the differential, or even which coordinate system to use.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
how is the loop oriented in relation to the wire?

Related to Mutual Inductance and Ampere's law

1. What is mutual inductance?

Mutual inductance refers to the phenomenon where an alternating current in one circuit induces an electromotive force (EMF) in an adjacent circuit. This is due to the changing magnetic field created by the current in the first circuit, which then affects the magnetic flux in the second circuit.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated?

Mutual inductance (M) can be calculated using the equation M = k * (N1 * N2)/d, where k is the coupling coefficient, N1 and N2 are the number of turns in the two circuits, and d is the distance between them.

3. What is Ampere's law?

Ampere's law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that describes the relationship between the magnetic field and the electric current. It states that the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the electric current and inversely proportional to the distance from the wire.

4. How is Ampere's law used in mutual inductance?

Ampere's law is used to calculate the magnetic field created by the current in one circuit, which is then used to determine the magnetic flux and EMF induced in the second circuit. This allows for the calculation of mutual inductance and the understanding of how the two circuits are coupled.

5. What are the practical applications of mutual inductance and Ampere's law?

Mutual inductance and Ampere's law have many practical applications, including in transformers, motors, and generators. They are also used in wireless power transfer and inductors in electronic circuits. Understanding these concepts is crucial in the design and functioning of various electrical and electronic systems.