Motion of Cylinders: Comparing Speed and Factors

In summary, the question asks which of two cylindrical cans, one filled with water (with no friction) and the other with ice (which sticks to the inside), will attain a higher speed when rolled down an inclined slope. It is necessary to consider rotational and kinetic energies or moments of inertia to determine the behavior of the cans. It is unclear if one can be considered hollow or if one skids instead of rolling. A test conducted with soda cans showed that the one filled with liquid had a higher speed. However, it is uncertain if the liquid inside the can has no friction with the walls of the container, as this could affect the results.
spekky_bandit
Question:

Two light cylinderical cans roll down an inclined slope. One is filled with water, which may be assumed to act without friction, the other is filled with ice which sticks to the insides of the can. Which attains the higher speed and by what factor?

Solution:

The maths of this scenario is straight forward but I don't know how to distinguish between the two cans. I know that I either have to consider one rolling while the other skids thus I deal with rotational and kinetic energies or I have to consider different moments of inertia.

Can one of them be considered hollow or does one skid instead of roll and more inmportantly why for either?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well i just rolled two cans of soda down a plane, and the soda with liquid in it beat the empty can. and then I rolled a full soda can and a solid candle, and it appears that the full soda can acts like a solid cylinder. But I was wondering if they meant that the liquid inside the can has no friction with the walls of the container, otherwise if it was just skidding down the ramp it wouldn't matter if you filled it with water. not completely sure though.

Related to Motion of Cylinders: Comparing Speed and Factors

1. What is the motion of a cylinder?

The motion of a cylinder refers to the movement of a cylindrical object in space. This can include translation, rotation, or a combination of both.

2. How is the speed of a cylinder measured?

The speed of a cylinder can be measured by dividing the distance it travels by the time it takes to travel that distance. The unit of measurement for speed is typically meters per second (m/s) or miles per hour (mph).

3. What factors can affect the speed of a cylinder?

There are several factors that can affect the speed of a cylinder, including its mass, shape, and surface material. The surface it is moving on, such as friction or air resistance, can also impact its speed.

4. How does the mass of a cylinder affect its speed?

The mass of a cylinder can directly impact its speed, as a heavier cylinder will require more force to move and will therefore have a slower speed than a lighter cylinder.

5. Can the shape of a cylinder affect its speed?

Yes, the shape of a cylinder can affect its speed. A more streamlined shape, such as a cone or bullet, will experience less air resistance and therefore have a higher speed compared to a more bulky or irregularly shaped cylinder.