Momentum conservation to kinetic energy

In summary, the solution is saying that p=sqrt(T^2+2Tmc^2) where is comes from is the fact that kinetic energy is the total energy minus the rest energy.
rem45
I am trying to follow this solution but I can't see how the momentum

p is equivalent to the sqrt(T^2+2Tmc^2)

I get that T=p^2/2m which yields p=sqrt(2mT) but why is there a T^2 term...??

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 2.08.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 2.08.44 PM.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 618
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm going to need a bit more context.

rem45 said:
I am trying to follow this solution but I can't see how the momentum

p is equivalent to the sqrt(T^2+2Tmc^2)

I get that T=p^2/2m which yields p=sqrt(2mT) but why is there a T^2 term...??
##T = \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac 12 mv^2## is the non-relativistic expression for kinetic energy. You want to start with the relativistic expression.

I see that yields p= sqrt(2mT) but the solution is saying that p= sqrt(T^2+2Tmc^2)

where is this coming from??

As vela said, you are using the classical expression for kinetic energy and so you are missing terms which become relevant when the kinetic energy is comparable to or larger than the rest energy (i.e., mass). The relativistic relation is
$$
E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4.
$$
In addition, the definition of kinetic energy is the total energy ##E## minus the rest energy ##mc^2##, i.e.
$$
T = E-mc^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad E = T + mc^2.
$$
You should be able to take it from there.

That makes sense but I don't see how the total energy as stated in the solution is

the square root of kinetic energy squared plus two times the kinetic times potential...??

Forgive me, I've been doing too much physics today and perhaps it's obvious but I'm not getting this one.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 9.53.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-08-28 at 9.53.17 PM.png
    1 KB · Views: 557
Perhaps you should take a break and come back to this problem tomorrow when you're refreshed. The derivation is literally a line or two of algebra starting with what Orodruin gave you.

If you still can't get it, you need to post your work so we can see what you're doing.

Related to Momentum conservation to kinetic energy

What is momentum conservation?

Momentum conservation is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, unless an external force is applied.

How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction. This means that the sum of the momenta of all objects in the system remains constant.

What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the mass and velocity of the object.

How does momentum conservation relate to kinetic energy?

In a closed system, the total kinetic energy before a collision or interaction is equal to the total kinetic energy after the collision or interaction, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system. This is because momentum conservation ensures that any changes in velocity due to the interaction will result in an equal and opposite change in momentum, thus conserving the total kinetic energy.

Can momentum be converted into kinetic energy?

No, momentum cannot be directly converted into kinetic energy. Momentum is a vector quantity, while kinetic energy is a scalar quantity. However, through interactions and collisions, momentum can be transferred between objects, resulting in changes in their velocities and therefore their kinetic energies.