Method of Images: Grounded Conducting Sphere

In summary: This will give you the surface charge on the sphere as a function of θ. Integrating this to get the total induced charge.In summary, the homework statement states that a point charge +q is situated a distance a from the center of a grounded conducting sphere of radius R. The sphere is charged with an induced surface charge Q as a function of θ.
darwin59

Homework Statement

A point charge +q is situated a distance a from the center of a grounded conducting sphere of radius R. Find the induced surface charge on the sphere as a function of θ. Integrate this to get the total induced charge.

Homework Equations

σ=-εo*∂V/∂r
Q=∫σ da

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already figured out σ to be (-q/4∏)(a2/R-R)(R2+a2-2aRcosθ)-3/2. I also know that Q needs to equal -q. But I'm having trouble completing the integral to get to just -q. The way I've tried it is ∫[itex]^{2∏}_{0}[/itex]∫[itex]^{∏}_{0}[/itex] σ R2sinθ dθd[itex]\Phi[/itex]; but I'm not getting it to reduce to just -q. I'm confident in my answer for σ, so my problem must be in my integral, but I can't figure out what it is.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well I worked it down further, and I got it to be +q, not -q, so I must be missing an extra negative somewhere. Here are my steps:

∫d[itex]\Phi[/itex] from 0 to 2∏ is just 2∏
I used u substitution, with u=R2+a2-2aRcosθ, and du=2aRsinθdθ.
So now I have Q=(-qR/2)(1/2aR)(a2-R2)∫u-3/2du.
Q=(-q/4a)(-2)(a2-R2)u-1/2=(-q/2a)(R2-a2)(R2+a2-2aRcosθ) from 0 to ∏.

Q=(-q/2a)(R2-a2)[1/√(R2+a2+2aR)-1√(R2+a2-2aR)]

Q=(-q/2a)(R2-a2)[1/(R+a)-1/(R-a)]

Q=(-q/2a)(R2-a2)[(R-a-R-a)/(R2-a2)]

Q=(-q/2a)(R-a-R-a)=(-q/2a)(-2a)=q

Did I miss a negative?

darwin59 said:
Q=(-q/2a)(R2-a2)[1/√(R2+a2+2aR)-1/√(R2+a2-2aR)]

Q=(-q/2a)(R2-a2)[1/(R+a)-1/(R-a)]

Check the step where you evaluated √(R2+a2-2aR). Recall √(x2) = |x|

darwin59 said:
I also know that Q needs to equal -q.

Are you sure of this? For the case where the charge q is very far from the sphere, would you expect the charge q to be able to induce a total charge of -q on the sphere?

TSny said:
Are you sure of this? For the case where the charge q is very far from the sphere, would you expect the charge q to be able to induce a total charge of -q on the sphere?

We're assuming it's close enough to induce a total charge of -q on the sphere.

TSny said:
Check the step where you evaluated √(R2+a2-2aR). Recall √(x2) = |x|

I'm not sure how that would help. I could rearrange that as (-q/2a)(R2-a2)[1/(a+R)-1/(a-R)] to take care of the absolute value, but then I'll end up with (-q/2a)(R2-a2)/[(a-R-a-R)/(a2-R2), and I'm stuck with Q=-qR/a.

Actually, come to think of it...that's what the charge of the image is supposed to be, according to my book. Now I'm confused because some homework help I've found says the total charge should be -q, but it doesn't explain how it got there. -q is what I would expect, but at the same time, it's hard to imagine the distance from the sphere not influencing the induced charge on it, so maybe it is -qR/a. Any thoughts?

Apply Gauss' law to any closed surface that encloses the sphere but not the charge q; for example, you could choose a spherical surface concentric with the conducting sphere but just a bit larger.

Related to Method of Images: Grounded Conducting Sphere

What is the method of images for a grounded conducting sphere?

The method of images is a mathematical technique used to solve problems involving a conducting sphere that is grounded, or connected to a large conducting plane. It involves creating a virtual image of the sphere that mimics the behavior of the actual sphere, simplifying the problem and allowing for easier calculation of electric fields and potentials.

How is the image of the grounded conducting sphere created?

The image of the grounded conducting sphere is created by reflecting the actual sphere across the grounded plane. This creates a virtual image that has the same size and charge as the actual sphere, but is located on the opposite side of the plane.

What are the boundary conditions used in the method of images for a grounded conducting sphere?

The boundary conditions for a grounded conducting sphere using the method of images are that the electric field and potential must be continuous across the surface of the sphere and the grounded plane. Additionally, the electric field must be perpendicular to the surface of the conductor.

What are the advantages of using the method of images for a grounded conducting sphere?

The method of images allows for easier calculation of electric fields and potentials for a grounded conducting sphere, as it simplifies the problem by creating a virtual image. It also satisfies the necessary boundary conditions, making it a more accurate solution compared to other methods.

Are there any limitations to the method of images for a grounded conducting sphere?

One limitation of the method of images is that it can only be used for problems involving a grounded conducting sphere. It also assumes that the grounded plane is infinitely large, which may not be the case in some real-world scenarios.