Mass flow in Vapor Compression Cylce HELP

In summary, Andreas is working on his Master Thesis and has been trying to calculate the mass flow for a vapor compression cycle system. He is unsure if the mass flow changes when the refrigerant flows through the electronic expansion valve at steady state conditions. He has been using different equations and values, but is having trouble getting the correct result. He is seeking help and is unsure if his method of assuming a circular area for the valve and using a specific value for the Cv coefficient is correct.
bobboviking
Hi guys,

I'm doing some calculations on a vapor compression cycle system for my Master Thesis.

My question is:
Does the mass flow change when the refrigerant flows through the (electronic) expansion valve (assuming steady state flow)?

I assume that it doesn't but I can't seem to get the "correct value" in my mass flow equations.

I have an artice from where I get my steady state values and the compressor mass flow equation seems to be correct.

I have used the
m_dot = Cv*A_orifice*sqrt(2*rho*(Pin - Pout))
equation for the valve mass flow.

I have the technical data document for the expansion valve and I know that the stroke is 3.2 mm. I've tried to calculate the A_orifice from that value (assuming a cicular area).
Other values are Cv = 0.94 (found that value in another article), rho = 1141.7 kg/m^3, Pin = 1046 kPa (condenser pressure) and Pout = 348.6 kPa (evaporator pressure).

I'm not sure what I've missed.
Although I'm not sure that it's correct to assume a circular area for the valve and on top of that I'm not sure that the value for Cv is correct either.

Please guys I've been struggling with this for over two weeks now and I'm in desperate need for help.

Thanks in advance,
Andreas

Engineering news on Phys.org
bobboviking said:
My question is:
Does the mass flow change when the refrigerant flows through the (electronic) expansion valve (assuming steady state flow)?

Based on the Conservation of Mass principle, the mass flow rate is constant for a tube with one inlet and one outlet (i.e. no mass is gained or lost). The volumetric flow rate, however, may certainly change.

CS

Related to Mass flow in Vapor Compression Cylce HELP

1. What is mass flow in Vapor Compression Cycle?

Mass flow in Vapor Compression Cycle refers to the rate at which refrigerant flows through the system. It is an important parameter that determines the efficiency of the cycle and the cooling capacity of the system.

2. How does mass flow affect the performance of a Vapor Compression Cycle?

The mass flow rate directly affects the cooling capacity of the cycle. A higher mass flow rate results in a higher cooling capacity, while a lower mass flow rate results in a lower cooling capacity. It also affects the efficiency of the cycle, as a higher mass flow rate requires more work input from the compressor.

3. What factors affect the mass flow in a Vapor Compression Cycle?

The mass flow rate in a Vapor Compression Cycle is affected by several factors including the type and size of the compressor, the type and amount of refrigerant used, the temperature and pressure conditions in the system, and the design and size of the evaporator and condenser.

4. How can the mass flow rate be controlled in a Vapor Compression Cycle?

The mass flow rate in a Vapor Compression Cycle can be controlled by adjusting the speed of the compressor, changing the size of the orifice or expansion valve, and altering the pressure and temperature conditions in the system. It is important to maintain the right balance of mass flow rate to ensure optimal performance and efficiency of the cycle.

5. What are the consequences of improper mass flow rate in a Vapor Compression Cycle?

If the mass flow rate is too high, it can lead to excessive energy consumption and potential damage to the compressor. On the other hand, if the mass flow rate is too low, it can result in poor cooling performance and reduced efficiency. Therefore, it is crucial to maintain the right mass flow rate in a Vapor Compression Cycle for optimal operation.