Help Understanding the Flow of Grease

• Thread starter YoshiMoshi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a multipoint grease lubrication system and the factors that affect the flow of grease within the system. The person asking the question is considering designing an automatic greaser for multiple components and is unsure about the effects of pressure, line length, and the physical properties of commercial grease. The expert provides information on how multipoint metering systems work and recommends sources for more detailed information on grease lubrication systems and the different types of grease available from various manufacturers.
YoshiMoshi
Homework Statement:: Conceptual Question
Relevant Equations:: So say I have a grease pump with a line coming out of the pump to a T section. One line from the split goes to a component that is not that far away, while the other goes twice the distance from the split to get to the component. Am I correct that grease will always go to the path of least resistance? So grease will always reach the closest component when it's pumped and no grease will ever reach the furthest component? I suppose this issue could be solved with a shut on and off valve?

So say I have a valve close to the closest component. I shut it off so now it's a dead end and grease can't escape this path. In this case it would then go to the second furthest component?

Would I have to apply more pressure for the grease to reach a component? So say I only have one line going to one component. I increase the line length from 1 foot to 2 feet, do I have to pump it twice as hard?

Sorry if this is a silly question. I'm an EE and haven't studied much of fluid mechanics (not sure if you would consider this a fluid). I'm thinking of designing an actual system using commercial grease and commercial components. So I'm not sure if the physical properties of such greases would be released by the manufacture. I would assume the chemical makeup of the grease would effect how it flows, and I highly doubt any manufacture would release that Information, the chemical makeup of their product.

This is a conceptual theoretical problem. I want to design an automatic greaser that can automatically grease multiple components when at a specified time. I'd like to have one centralized pump but several components.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Multipoint grease lubrication systems are well known to mechanical engineers who work in machine design. Electrical engineers usually run into these systems only when programming a PLC to turn the lubrication pump on and off.

Grease is a plastic solid that can be pumped just like a liquid. Multipoint metering systems control the flow at the pump and at the endpoint metering valves. The grease pump pumps a predetermined volume of grease. Each endpoint metering valve has a little piston that let's through a predetermined volume of grease, then shuts off. A typical grease pump might cycle once every several hours.

Here is a good source of information on multipoint oil and grease lubrication systems: https://www.skf.com/us/products/lubrication-management/automatic-lubrication-systems. The documents linked from that site also have good information on grease flowability.

Grease manufacturers provide detailed information on the chemical compatibility and mechanical properties of their grease. Here is a link to one type and one brand of industrial grease: https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...nts/product-series/mobilgrease-xhp-220-series. There are many manufacturers of grease, and the they make many types of grease. That particular link is just the first one that I found in a random search.

• Informative
Likes berkeman and Baluncore

Related to Help Understanding the Flow of Grease

1. What is the purpose of grease in machinery?

Grease is used to lubricate moving parts in machinery to reduce friction and wear, and to protect against corrosion. It also helps to dissipate heat and maintain a smooth flow of motion.

2. How does grease flow in machinery?

Grease typically flows through the use of a grease gun, which applies pressure to push the grease through a nozzle and into the machinery. The grease then flows through channels and gaps between moving parts, coating them with a thin layer of lubrication.

3. What factors affect the flow of grease?

The viscosity of the grease, the temperature of the machinery, and the amount of pressure applied by the grease gun can all affect the flow of grease. Additionally, the design and condition of the machinery can also impact how easily grease can flow through it.

4. How often should grease be applied to machinery?

The frequency of greasing machinery depends on various factors such as the type of machinery, the level of usage, and the environment it operates in. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer's guidelines for greasing intervals, but it is also important to regularly inspect the machinery for signs of wear and apply grease as needed.

5. What are the consequences of inadequate grease flow?

Inadequate grease flow can lead to increased friction and wear on moving parts, which can result in decreased efficiency, increased maintenance costs, and even machinery failure. It is important to ensure proper and regular greasing to maintain the optimal performance and longevity of machinery.