Magnetic Force from an EM Wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the magnetic force on a charge from an electromagnetic wave. It is mentioned that the force is given by F = qv x B and that the charge will pick up speed in the direction of the wave. It is also mentioned that the speed of light on different mediums can affect the force and that there is no inertial reference frame in which light is stationary.
eok20
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the relativity forum but associated with an electromagnetic wave is a magnetic field B and the force of this field on a charge q with velocity v is qv x B. Since any charge will be moving with speed c relative to the wave, will the magnetic force on a charge from an EM wave always be qc x B?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
NO! I'm not sure how you would even write the equations of motion in the frame of reference moving with the light wave. Stick with the "lab frame" and the Lorentz force in its usual form.

force in em wave

No. Do you think that the field is moving along with the wave w.r.t charge? Only the field is sccessively being induced hence the charge or the field does not have relative motion. Hence will not ihave that type of nteraction with stationary charge

mm_musthafa @rediffmail.com

An electromagnetic wave has two components: electric (E) and magnetic (B). So the force on a charge is F = qE + qvxB. For a plane wave, E and B are perpendicular. Both oscillate at the frequency of the wave. The electric field will cause the charge to oscillate perpendicular to the wave direction, and the resulting motion will induce a magnetic force on the particle. The net (classical) effect is that the charge will pick up speed in the direction of the wave. (I'm assuming that the mass of the particle is such that the velocity gained from absorption of a single photon from the wave is very small compared with any velocity of interest. Otherwise, you need to look at Compton scattering.)

kuto1

eok20 said:
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the relativity forum but associated with an electromagnetic wave is a magnetic field B and the force of this field on a charge q with velocity v is qv x B. Since any charge will be moving with speed c relative to the wave, will the magnetic force on a charge from an EM wave always be qc x B?
Thanks.
hey eok20 i congratulate you for your good question.well,the force won't be qc x b always that's because the speed of light on different mediums is different.

Weird approach, but i think it's just not fine, because:

-if you take a photon as a frame of reference, time will not flow, and the whole universe will be a single point; given these, what can you calculate!
speed of electron?

[tex]\frac{dx'}{dt'} = \frac{0}{0}[/tex]

ugh! disaster! of course, one can limit "actual" quantities.

gulsen said:
-if you take a photon as a frame of reference,

Sorry, you can't do that. As has been stated over and over and over again in the relativity forum, there is no inertial reference frame in which light is stationary.

jtbell said:
Sorry, you can't do that.
yup, that was my point.

Related to Magnetic Force from an EM Wave

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force of nature that is responsible for the attraction or repulsion between electrically charged particles. It is caused by the motion of electric charges and is closely related to the electric force.

2. How is magnetic force produced by an EM wave?

An electromagnetic (EM) wave is a form of energy that is made up of an electric field and a magnetic field that oscillate in perpendicular directions. As the EM wave travels through space, the changing electric and magnetic fields exert a force on charged particles, causing them to move and creating a magnetic force.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force from an EM wave?

The strength of the magnetic force from an EM wave depends on several factors, including the amplitude (or intensity) of the wave, the frequency of the wave, and the distance from the source of the wave. The stronger the wave, the higher the magnetic force it can produce.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic force from an EM wave relate to the direction of the wave's magnetic field?

The magnetic force from an EM wave is always perpendicular to both the direction of the wave's magnetic field and the direction of the particle's motion. This means that the magnetic force can change the direction of the particle's motion, but not its speed.

5. Can the magnetic force from an EM wave be used for practical applications?

Yes, the magnetic force from EM waves has many practical applications, such as in generators, motors, and transformers. It is also used in technologies like MRI machines and particle accelerators. Understanding and harnessing the power of magnetic forces from EM waves has greatly advanced our society and technology.