Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields

In summary, the conversation is about a question regarding the commutation relation between a field operator and a Lorentz generator in quantum field theory, and the attempt to solve it using equations (1), (2), and (3). The person asking the question has managed to get the left side of equation (1) equal to the field operator, but is struggling with the right side. They suspect that equation (2) may have something to do with it, and are trying to Taylor expand the right side of equation (1) to get a better understanding.
waht

Homework Statement

Working on an exercise from Srednicki's QFT and something is not clear.

Show that

[tex] [\varphi(x), M^{uv}] = \mathcal{L}^{uv} \varphi(x) [/tex]

where

[tex] \mathcal{L}^{uv} = \frac{\hbar}{i} (x^u \partial^v - x^v \partial^u )[/tex]

Homework Equations

(1) [tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1} \varphi(x) U(\Lambda) = \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) [/tex]

(2) [tex] \Lambda = 1 + \delta\omega[/tex]

where [tex] \delta\omega [/itex] is an infinitesimal, and

(3) [tex] U(\Lambda) = I + \frac{i}{2\hbar} \delta\omega_{uv} M^{uv} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Got the left side of (1) equal to

[tex] \varphi(x) + \frac{i}{2\hbar}\delta\omega_{uv}[\varphi(x), M^{uv}] [/tex]

but not sure what to do with the right side and how to get the desired derivatives. I suspect
it has something to do with the transformation (1) of its derivative, but so far no luck.

[tex] U(\Lambda)^{-1} \partial^u \varphi(x) U(\Lambda) = \Lambda^{u}_{ p} \bar{\partial}^p \varphi(\Lambda^{-1}x) [/tex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1) What does Eq. (2) give you for the inverse of \Lambda?

2) use that expression to Taylor expand the right-hand side of your Eq. (1): that should also give you \phi(x) plus something...

borgwal said:
1) What does Eq. (2) give you for the inverse of \Lambda?

Would it be

[tex]\Lambda^{-1} = 1 - \delta\omega [/tex]

and taking the second order [itex] O(\delta\omega^2) [/itex] to zero.

2) use that expression to Taylor expand the right-hand side of your Eq. (1): that should also give you \phi(x) plus something...

If I were to Taylor that then would get something like [itex] \varphi(0) + \varphi^{,}(0) [/itex]

but that doesn't seem right

waht said:
Would it be

[tex]\Lambda^{-1} = 1 - \delta\omega [/tex]

and taking the second order [itex] O(\delta\omega^2) [/itex] to zero.

If I were to Taylor that then would get something like [itex] \varphi(0) + \varphi^{,}(0) [/itex]

but that doesn't seem right

The first part is correct, the second isn't (but getting close): check your Taylor expansion: what's \phi(x+\epsilon)?

Related to Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields

What is the Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields?

The Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields is a mathematical tool used in special relativity to describe how scalar fields, which are quantities that have only magnitude and no direction, behave under changes in reference frames. It allows us to make predictions about how a scalar field will appear to an observer in a different reference frame, taking into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

How is the Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields derived?

The Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields is derived from the Lorentz Transformation equations, which describe the relationship between measurements made in two different inertial reference frames. By applying these equations to the transformation of scalar fields, we can derive formulas for how these fields will change between reference frames.

Why is the Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields important?

The Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields is important because it allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of physical quantities in different reference frames. This is crucial in understanding and describing the effects of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed through numerous experiments.

What is the difference between the Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields and Vector Fields?

The Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields and Vector Fields are both mathematical tools used in special relativity, but they describe different types of physical quantities. Scalar fields have only magnitude and no direction, while vector fields have both magnitude and direction. This means that the transformation equations for scalar fields are simpler than those for vector fields.

How does the Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields affect our understanding of space and time?

The Lorentz Transformation of Scalar Fields is a fundamental part of special relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of space and time. It has shown that these concepts are not absolute, but are relative to the observer's reference frame. This has led to groundbreaking discoveries and advancements in physics, including the famous equation E=mc^2 and the concept of spacetime.