Limit Manipulation: Solving for Infinity in Tricky Limits | Homework Help

• Thread starter Quinzio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary, the homework equation is:-The limit as n approaches +∞ of the equation 7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}-7^{3n}+(n+1)!.
Quinzio

Homework Statement

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}-7^{3n}+(n+1)!\right) \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n [/tex]

Homework Equations

Limits manipulation

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, in the first parenthesis, I have clear (I hope so) that the biggest term is the one containing [itex]n^n[/itex], since [itex]n^n>n!>a^n>...[/itex]
I should make passages, but this is quite clear to me.

The hard part is that
[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n [/tex]

I am tempted to replace [itex]x = \frac{1}{n}[/itex]
so that I obtain

[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \left(x - \sin x \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Now, remembering that for [itex]x \to 0[/itex]
[tex]\sin x = x - \frac{x^3}{6}+ o(x^3)[/tex]
I'll write
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \left(x - \sin x \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} = \left(\frac{x^3}{6}+ o(x^3) \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Let me forget the rest [itex]o(x^3)[/itex], and go back to [itex]n[/itex]
and write that

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n = \frac{1}{6n^{3n}}[/tex]
This should hold true, as [itex]n \to +\infty[/itex]

Now, I go back to the first part of the limit

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}-7^{3n}+(n+1)!\right) [/tex]
neglecting the parts that are lower oder of infinity wrt to [itex]n^n[/itex]I can write it as
[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{\frac{1}{3}}n)^{3n}\right) [/tex]
[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (7(6^{n})n^{3n}\right) [/tex]

If I divide it by the term coming from the other expression I get

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac {\left (7(6^{n})(n^{3n})\right)}{6n^{3n}} = \lim_{n \to +\infty} \left (\frac{7}{6}(6^{n})\right) = +\infty [/tex]

I should have finally found that all that stuff goes to infinity.

But I'm not really sure of the passages... anyone can kindly confirm ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Quinzio said:
I'll write
[tex]\lim_{x \to 0} \left(x - \sin x \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} = \left(\frac{x^3}{6}+ o(x^3) \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Let me forget the rest [itex]o(x^3)[/itex], and go back to [itex]n[/itex]
and write that

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n = \frac{1}{6n^{3n}}[/tex]
This should hold true, as [itex]n \to +\infty[/itex]

I believe this is [tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{n}-\sin \frac{1}{n} \right)^n = \lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{6n^{3}}\right)^n = \lim_{n \to +\infty} \left(\frac{1}{6^{n}n^{3n}}\right) ,[/tex]

making the final result

[tex]\lim_{n \to +\infty} \frac {\left (7(6^{n})(n^{3n})\right)}{6^{n}n^{3n}} = 7 .[/tex]

(It took a while to spot the omission. A graph of the function confirms this limit -- although the grapher's calculator gave out before x = 60...)

Ah sure... poor me !

Thanks so much.

Related to Limit Manipulation: Solving for Infinity in Tricky Limits | Homework Help

1. What is limit manipulation?

Limit manipulation is a mathematical technique used to solve for the value of a limit that may be difficult to determine using traditional methods. It involves manipulating the given expression to make it easier to evaluate the limit.

2. Why is solving for infinity in tricky limits important?

Solving for infinity in tricky limits is important because it allows us to find the exact value of the limit, which can provide important insights into the behavior of a function. It also helps us to evaluate more complex limits and make accurate predictions about the behavior of a system.

3. What are some common techniques used in limit manipulation?

Some common techniques used in limit manipulation include factoring, simplifying, rationalizing, and using trigonometric identities. These techniques help to transform the given expression into a form that can be easily evaluated to determine the limit.

4. Can limit manipulation be used to solve any type of limit?

No, limit manipulation can only be used to solve for limits that are indeterminate or undefined, such as 0/0 or ∞/∞. It cannot be used to solve for limits that are already defined, such as a constant value or infinity.

5. How can limit manipulation be applied in real-world situations?

Limit manipulation can be applied in various real-world situations, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to determine the maximum velocity of an object, the optimal production level for a company, or the stability of a bridge.