Leyden Jars increase spark length?

In summary: It doesn't, as far as I know. Some current unavoidably flows to ground, depending on the voltage of the dome and humidity in the air, etc., whether the generator is connected to a Leyden jar or not.
Invictos
Good Evening/Morning/Afternoon Everyone,

Question: Why is it that demonstrations of Van de Graff generators use Leyden Jars in series to get bigger sparks? If a spark gap's size determined by voltage, and Leyden jars are simply to be treated as capacitors which wouldn't increase voltage, why does adding a Leyden jar seem to increase spark gap and therefore voltage?

Examples (the only reason I say "increase spark gap" is because there is no way generators of these sizes could make those sparks otherwise)

Is there some fundamental concept I'm missing here? or are the Leyden jars just there to...look cool?...maybe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Still thinking about that one.
But please note that using a Leyden Jar with a VdG machine is very dangerous. Whereas the basic machine is safe, with a Leyden Jar it can kill.

Likes vanhees71
tech99 said:
Still thinking about that one.
But please note that using a Leyden Jar with a VdG machine is very dangerous. Whereas the basic machine is safe, with a Leyden Jar it can kill.
Definitely a "don't try this at home kids" type of thing! [emoji23]

Likes vanhees71
The capacitor can supply more current than the generator.

David Lewis said:
The capacitor can supply more current than the generator.
I agree, but the sparking voltage should be the same, giving the same spark length, because the two capacitors (dome and Leyden jar) are in parallel across the generator.

I believe when you draw more than a tiny current out of the generator, voltage drops significantly.

David Lewis said:
I believe when you draw more than a tiny current out of the generator, voltage drops significantly.
I agree with that, but assuming there is some leakage from the dome, how does connection of a Leyden Jar in parallel reduce leakage?

I can't see how the videos show that the spark length is increased.

Dadface said:
I can't see how the videos show that the spark length is increased.
Good point. I just know from experience that a 50mm spark is typical but in the video using a Leyden Jar it looks about 200mm. Maybe you are right and it is just a very good machine.

tech99 said:
...how does connection of a Leyden Jar in parallel reduce leakage?
It doesn't, as far as I know. Some current unavoidably flows to ground, depending on the voltage of the dome and humidity in the air, etc., whether the generator is connected to a Leyden jar or not.

Related to Leyden Jars increase spark length?

1. What are Leyden Jars?

Leyden Jars are early electrical capacitors that were invented in the 18th century. They consist of a glass jar or bottle lined with metal foil on the inside and outside, and a conducting rod or wire passing through the lid.

2. How do Leyden Jars increase spark length?

Leyden Jars increase spark length by storing electrical charge on their inner and outer metal foil layers. This stored charge creates a larger potential difference between the conducting rod and the metal foil, resulting in a longer and more powerful spark when the jar is discharged.

3. What factors affect the spark length in Leyden Jars?

The spark length in Leyden Jars is affected by several factors, such as the size of the jar, the amount of charge stored, the distance between the conducting rod and the metal foil, and the type of dielectric material used to separate the foil layers.

4. Can the spark length in Leyden Jars be increased indefinitely?

No, the spark length in Leyden Jars cannot be increased indefinitely. As the jar gets larger, the amount of charge that can be stored on its foil layers also increases, but at a certain point, the dielectric material will break down and the jar will discharge, limiting the spark length.

5. What are some practical applications of Leyden Jars?

Leyden Jars have been used in various experiments and demonstrations, such as the first electrical experiments by Benjamin Franklin and the famous "electric shock" experiments by Luigi Galvani. They have also been used in early medical treatments and in the development of early electrical devices, such as the Leyden Jar battery. Today, Leyden Jars are mainly used in educational demonstrations and as historical artifacts.