Let's talk network load balancing .

In summary, the conversation was about setting up network load balancing on a local server and the options available. The person was wondering if there were any third party options for load balancing on Windows 2000 server, as they were only running the basic version. It was suggested to search for load balancing software on shareware websites, but it was also advised not to implement a freeware version on a production server. It was mentioned that Windows Server 2003 Standard edition supports NLB out of the box and may be a more cost-effective option.
member 5645
Let's talk network load balancing...

I'll spare the details, but among other things, I'm looking to get two 100Mb NICs setup in a local server with some means of loadbalancing. I know 2k server advanced and datacenter has NLB from MS, but I'm only running basic server on this machine.

Any third party options? thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Let's clarify. Load balancing options for win2k server.

You can go to shareware.com and search for load balancing software. There are a few nice 3rd party packages but they are expensive. I would not recommend implementing a freeware version of NLB on a production server.

Windows Server 2003 Standard edition supports NLB out of the box. You could easily end up investing more money into a 3rd party solution for Win2000 than you would invest upgrading to Win2003 Standard edition.

Related to Let's talk network load balancing .

What is network load balancing?

Network load balancing is a method used to distribute incoming network traffic across multiple servers or devices in order to improve efficiency, performance, and reliability. It helps to prevent overloading on a single server and ensures that all resources are being utilized effectively.

Why is network load balancing important?

Network load balancing is important because it helps to optimize network traffic, improve server performance, and prevent system failures due to overload. It also helps to evenly distribute workload, allowing for better resource utilization and ultimately reducing downtime.

How does network load balancing work?

Network load balancing works by using a specialized software or hardware device to distribute incoming network traffic across multiple servers or devices. This is typically done through the use of algorithms or rules that determine how the traffic is routed, ensuring an even distribution of workload.

What are the benefits of network load balancing?

Network load balancing offers several benefits, including improved performance, increased reliability, better resource utilization, and reduced downtime. It also allows for scalability, as additional servers or devices can easily be added to handle increasing traffic.

What types of networks can use load balancing?

Network load balancing can be used in a variety of networks, including local area networks (LANs), wide area networks (WANs), and cloud-based networks. It can also be utilized in both physical and virtual environments, making it a versatile solution for many different types of networks.