Laplace's Equation: Steady-State Temperature in a Rectangular Plate

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the steady-state temperature distribution inside a long rectangular metal plate with given dimensions and boundary conditions. The problem is approached using the Laplace equation and the method of separation of variables, resulting in a series solution for T(x,y). However, when attempting to apply boundary conditions to the Y(y) ODEs, a different solution is obtained. It is then suggested to use the sinh and cosh functions to simplify the solution, leading to a linear combination of sinh and cosh terms for Y(y). This results in a final series solution for T(x,y) that satisfies all boundary conditions.
mliuzzolino

Homework Statement

A long rectangular metal plate has its two long sides and top at 0°. The base is at 100°. The plate's width is 10cm and its height is 30cm. Find the stead-state temperature distribution inside the plate.

Homework Equations

2T = 0

T(x,y) = X(x)Y(y)

X(x) = Acos(kx) + Bsin(kx)
Y(y) = Ceky+De-ky

The Attempt at a Solution

Using boundary conditions to obtain X(x): T(0,y) = T(10,y) = 0

[itex] X(x) = Bsin(\dfrac{n\pi x}{10}) [/itex]
Using boundary conditions to obtain Y(y): T(x, 0) = 100; T(x, 30) = 0

Y(0) = C + D = 100

D = 100 - C

[itex] Y(30) = Ce^{3n\pi} + De^{-3n\pi} = 0 [/itex]

[itex] Ce^{3n\pi} = -De^{-3n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C = -De^{-6n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C = -(100 - C)e^{-6n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C = (C - 100)e^{-6n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C = Ce^{-6n\pi} - 100e^{-6n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C - Ce^{-6n\pi} = -100e^{-6n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C(1 - e^{-6n\pi}) = -100e^{-6n\pi} [/itex]

[itex] C = \dfrac{-100e^{-6n\pi}}{1-e^{-6n\pi}} [/itex]

[itex] C = \dfrac{100e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} [/itex]
Then by D = 100 - C

[itex] D = 100 - \dfrac{100e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} [/itex]

[itex] D = \dfrac{-100e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} [/itex]
So
[itex] Y(y) = \dfrac{100e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} (e^{\dfrac{n\pi y}{10}} - e^{\dfrac{-n\pi y}{10}})[/itex]

[itex] Y(y) = \dfrac{200e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} sinh(\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}) [/itex]

So by T(x,y) = X(x)Y(y)[itex] T(x,y) = B \dfrac{200e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} sinh(\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}) sin(\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}) [/itex]

but then...

[itex] T(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} B \dfrac{200e^{-6n\pi}}{e^{-6n\pi} - 1} sinh(\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}) sin(\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}) [/itex]

Up until here, aside from the nastiness of the problem, I decided to read the book and see if I was on track, but they went a completely different way and ended up with something else.

They didn't solve it analytically at all, and just said that we can notice a solution, namely when [itex]C = -\dfrac{1}{2}e^{-30k} [/itex] and when [itex]D = \dfrac{1}{2}e^{30k} [/itex].

This makes sense to me, and when we analyze the summation and check the condition when T(x,0) = 100, my solution shows that T --> 0 rather than 100.

What did I do wrong, and how do I analytically acquire the solution they achieved? I'm not well versed enough to just pick a solution out of a hat like that, so how could I achieve it along the methods I was using by applying boundary conditions to the Y(y) ODEs?

Physics news on Phys.org
After you have solved the ##X## equation you have eigenfunctions ##X_n(x)=\sin(\frac {n\pi x}{10}x)## and your next step is to solve ##Y''-\frac{n^2\pi^2}{10^2}Y=0## with ##Y(0)=100,\, Y(30)=0##. Frequently in this type of problem it is better to use the {sinh,cosh} family than the exponentials. In particular, I would suggest writing the solution as$$
Y(y) = C\sinh(\frac {n\pi}{10}y)+ D\sinh(\frac {n\pi}{10}(30-y))$$Then using ##Y(30)= 0## immediately tells you ##C=0## so you have ##Y## eigenfunctions$$
Y_n(y) = \sinh(\frac {n\pi}{10}(30-y))$$Now you have the solution$$
T(x,y) = \sum_{n=1}^\infty X_n(x)Y_n(y)=
\sum_{n=1}^\infty c_n \sinh(\frac {n\pi}{10}(30-y))\sin(\frac {n\pi x}{10})$$Now apply your last boundary condition ##T(x,0)=100##:$$
100 = \sum_{n=1}^\infty c_n \sinh(\frac {n\pi}{10}(30))\sin(\frac {n\pi }{10}x)$$Now set ##c_n \sinh(\frac {n\pi}{10}(30))##equal to the Fourier coefficient and it should all work to give you an analytical solution.

Thanks for the response!

I understand where the following comes from:
[itex] Y'' - \dfrac{n^2 k^2}{10^2}Y = 0 [/itex]

Then we find from it:

[itex] Y = Ce^{\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}} + De^{-\dfrac{n \pi y}{10}} [/itex]

I understand that [itex] sinh(x) = \dfrac{1}{2}(e^x - e^{-x}) [/itex].

However, I don't understand how we can arrives at

[itex] Y(y) = C [/itex] sinh [itex] (\dfrac{ n \pi}{10}y) + D [/itex] sinh [itex] ( \dfrac{n \pi}{10} (30 - y)) [/itex]

I think this it the step that I'm completely lost on.

sinh(a-y) has an addition formula similar to the trig formula, so it is a linear combination of sinh(y) and cosh(y), which in turn are linear combinations of ##e^y## and ##e^{-y}##. As long as the pair is linearly independent you can use them for the general solution. The pair I have chosen just makes the arithmetic a bit easier.

Last edited:
LCKurtz said:
sinh(a-y) has an addition formula similar to the trig formula, so it is a linear combination if sinh(y) and cosh(y), which in turn are linear combinations of ##e^y## and ##e^{-y}##. As long as the pair is linearly independent you can use them for the general solution. The pair I have chosen just makes the arithmetic a bit easier.

I apparently need to familiarize myself more with hyperbolic functions! I should have assumed there was some trick like this. Thanks a lot for your help! It all makes sense now. :)

mliuzzolino said:
I apparently need to familiarize myself more with hyperbolic functions! I should have assumed there was some trick like this. Thanks a lot for your help! It all makes sense now. :)

You're welcome. There is one little thing I mis-wrote. I said your ##Y## boundary value problem had ##Y(30)=0## and ##Y(0)= 100##. I shouldn't have included ##Y(0)= 100## at that point because ##100=T(x,0)=X(x)Y(0)## does not imply ##Y(0)= 100##. The nonhomogeneous condition ##100=T(x,0)## was used after the series for ##T(x,y)## was developed.

Last edited:

Related to Laplace's Equation: Steady-State Temperature in a Rectangular Plate

What is Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is a mathematical equation that describes the variation of temperature in a steady-state condition within a rectangular plate.

What is the significance of Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation is widely used in engineering and physics to solve problems related to heat conduction, electrostatics, fluid dynamics, and other areas. It provides an accurate and efficient way to analyze and predict the steady-state behavior of a system.

How is Laplace's equation solved?

Laplace's equation is typically solved using techniques such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods such as finite difference or finite element methods. The specific method used depends on the boundary conditions and the geometry of the system.

What are the boundary conditions for Laplace's equation in a rectangular plate?

The boundary conditions for Laplace's equation in a rectangular plate include the temperature at the edges of the plate, the heat flux at the edges, and the symmetry or asymmetry of the plate. These conditions are essential in solving the equation and determining the steady-state temperature distribution within the plate.

What are some real-world applications of Laplace's equation?

Laplace's equation has numerous applications in various fields, including heat transfer in buildings, thermal management in electronic devices, and the design of heat exchangers. It is also used in geophysics to model the flow of heat through the Earth's crust and in meteorology to study the distribution of temperature in the atmosphere.