Lagrangian hamiltonian mech COC Goldstein 8.27

In summary, the homework statement states that the lagrangian for a system of one degree of freedom can be written as L= (m/2) (dq/dt)2sin2(wt) +q(dq/dt)sin(2wt) +(qw)2. What is the hamiltonian? Is it conserved? Introducing a new coordinate defined by Q= qsin(wt) finds the lagrangian and hamiltonian with the new coordinate, but it is not conserved.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

a) the lagrangian for a system of one degree of freedom can be written as.

L= (m/2) (dq/dt)2sin2(wt) +q(dq/dt)sin(2wt) +(qw)2

what is the hamiltonian? is it conserved?

b) introduce a new coordinate defined by

Q = qsin(wt)

find the lagrangian and hamiltonian with the new coordinate and is it conserved?

Homework Equations

qp-L = H

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wondering what the method is to solve b) or is it as simple as

q = Q/sin(wt)

(dq/dt) = (dQ/dt)/sin(wt) - Qwcos(wt)/(sin2(wt))

subbing that in and solving?

I'm assuming that this change of coordinate is supposed to make the Hamiltonian independent of time and therefore conserved.

Yet what i found is not conserved, so i assume i used the wrong method.

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:

Homework Statement

a) the lagrangian for a system of one degree of freedom can be written as.

L= (m/2) (dq/dt)2sin2(wt) +q(dq/dt)sin(2wt) +(qw)2

what is the hamiltonian? is it conserved?

b) introduce a new coordinate defined by

Q = qsin(wt)

find the lagrangian and hamiltonian with the new coordinate and is it conserved?

Homework Equations

qp-L = H

The Attempt at a Solution

Just wondering what the method is to solve b) or is it as simple as

q = Q/sin(wt)

(dq/dt) = (dQ/dt)/sin(wt) - Qwcos(wt)/(sin2(wt))

subbing that in and solving?

I'm assuming that this change of coordinate is supposed to make the Hamiltonian independent of time and therefore conserved.

Yet what i found is not conserved, so i assume i used the wrong method.
Looks like a reasonable and straightforward method that you've used. How did you check out that the Hamiltonian wasn't conserved? I'd derivate it with respect to time and see if that equals 0.

Well isn't that always how you check if its conserved? Thanks for replying didnt think anyone would reply.

Related to Lagrangian hamiltonian mech COC Goldstein 8.27

1. What is Lagrangian Hamiltonian mechanics?

Lagrangian Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical framework for describing the motion of particles and systems in physics. It combines the principles of Lagrangian mechanics, which uses generalized coordinates, and Hamiltonian mechanics, which uses generalized momenta, to provide a more comprehensive understanding of the dynamics of a system.

2. How is the Lagrangian different from the Hamiltonian?

The Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian are two different mathematical functions used in Lagrangian Hamiltonian mechanics. The Lagrangian is a function of generalized coordinates and their time derivatives, while the Hamiltonian is a function of generalized coordinates and their conjugate momenta. The Lagrangian is used to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of its position and velocity, while the Hamiltonian is used to describe the dynamics in terms of position and momentum.

3. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in mechanics?

The Lagrangian is significant in mechanics because it allows for a more elegant and comprehensive description of the dynamics of a system. It takes into account all forces acting on a system and allows for the use of generalized coordinates, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also leads to the principle of least action, which states that the path a system takes from one point to another is the one that minimizes the action (a mathematical quantity related to the Lagrangian).

4. What is the role of the Hamiltonian in mechanics?

The Hamiltonian is important in mechanics because it is a conserved quantity. This means that the total energy of a system, which is represented by the Hamiltonian, remains constant throughout the motion of the system. The Hamiltonian also allows for the use of Hamilton's equations, which are a set of equations used to describe the evolution of a system over time.

5. How is Lagrangian Hamiltonian mechanics used in real-world applications?

Lagrangian Hamiltonian mechanics has a wide range of applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to study the motion of particles and systems in classical mechanics, as well as in quantum mechanics. It is also used in the study of celestial mechanics, fluid dynamics, and many other areas of physics. In engineering, it is used to model and analyze systems such as pendulums, springs, and electrical circuits.