Kahler geometry and potentials

In summary, Kahler geometry is a type of differential geometry that studies complex manifolds with additional structures, such as a Hermitian metric and a compatible complex structure. It has been widely used in physics and mathematics, particularly in the study of Calabi-Yau manifolds and their connection to string theory. Potential functions, also known as holomorphic functions, play a crucial role in Kahler geometry as they help define the geometric properties of these manifolds. They are used to study the curvature and symplectic properties of Kahler manifolds, and have applications in complex analysis, algebraic geometry, and geometric quantization.
AlphaNumeric
I'm attempting to reproduce the results in http://arxiv.org/PS_cache/hep-th/pdf/0611/0611332.pdf , notably the V_F(T) potential involved with the Kahler potential

[tex]K = -2 \ln \left( \hat{\mathcal{V}} + \frac{\hat{\xi}}{2} \right)[/tex]
[tex]W = W_{0} + Ae^{-aT}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{\mathcal{V}} = \gamma (T+\bar{T})^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]
[tex]\hat{\xi} = \xi (S+\bar{S})^{\frac{3}{2}}[/tex]

Firsly I compute K_ab' using

[tex]K_{a\bar{b}} = \frac{\partial^{2}K}{\partial \phi^{a} \partial \bar{\phi}^{b}}[/tex]

This gives me

[tex]K_{a\bar{b}} = \left(\frac{1}{\hat{\mathcal{V}} + \frac{\hat{\xi}}{2}}\right)^{2} \left( \begin{array}{cc} -\frac{3}{4} \gamma^{\frac{4}{3}} \hat{\mathcal{V}}^{-\frac{1}{3}}(\hat{\xi}-4\hat{\mathcal{V}}) & \frac{9}{4}(\xi \gamma)^{\frac{2}{3}} (\hat{\mathcal{V}}\hat{\xi})^{\frac{1}{3}} \\ \frac{9}{4}(\xi \gamma)^{\frac{2}{3}} (\hat{\mathcal{V}}\hat{\xi})^{\frac{1}{3}} & \frac{3}{4}\xi^{\frac{4}{3}}\hat{\xi}^{-\frac{1}{3}}(\hat{\xi}-\hat{\mathcal{V}}) \end{array} \right)[/tex]

(god that's a pain to type!)

The problem is, when computing the inverse of this metric [tex]K^{a\bar{b}}[/tex], I don't get the quoted form of the paper (which is also used in several other papers by Quevado), which gives each entry of the metric being proportional to

[tex]\frac{1}{\hat{\xi}-\hat{\mathcal{V}}}[/tex]

This gives an important result for Westphal, since the potential V_F turns out to have this same singularity and it gives a vacuum uplifting. If only I could get that far :rolleyes: I'm guessing it's the det of K_ab' which gives that factor, but that's not what I get when I compute |K_ab'| to get K^ab'.

Where am I going wrong? Am I neglecting a term I shouldn't in section 2 (equations 2.5 through to 2.7) or is it just I've slipped up on the algebra. I've done it about 10 times and still get the same. Given the symmetry between [tex]\hat{\xi}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\mathcal{V}}[/tex] the Kahler metric has the right form, taking account of the factor of 2 here and there due to the 1/2 in the Kahler potential for xi-hat, so I'm at a lose to see anything obvious I've done wrong unless there's some fundamental result in the theory which I've missed or I've misunderstood the paper itself (both pretty likely knowing me!).

Thanks for any help :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I realized my error. Westphal doesn't explain that while there's a correct to one of the terms in (2.3) to the form of (2.5), the other terms in (2.3) remain, so the full Kahler potential is not that given in (2.5) but actually the ammendment (2.5) to (2.3) giving

[tex]K = -2 \ln \left ( \hat{\mathcal{V}} + \alpha '^{3}\frac{\hat{\xi}}{2}\right) - \frac{2}{3}\ln \hat{\xi} - \ln \left( -i \int_{CY_{3}}\bar{\Omega} \wedge \Omega \right)[/tex]

Dropping the 3rd term in that potential and computing [tex]V_{F}[/tex] gives the results given by Westphal and Quevado. I'm not exactly sure why the 3rd term no longer plays a part. If independent of T and S, it doesn't contribute to the Kahler metric, but it does to the potential, because the potential involves [tex]e^{K}[/tex]. It doesn't alter the value of T which gives [tex]V_{F}=0[/tex] but it does alter [tex]V_{F}[/tex] otherwise, given it multiplies the entire potential.

Can someone explain to me why I can essentially ignore the [tex]\ln \left( -i \int_{CY_{3}}\bar{\Omega} \wedge \Omega \right)[/tex] term? Thanks.

Thank you for providing the context and equations from the paper you are trying to reproduce. It seems like you are on the right track in computing the metric K_{a\bar{b}} and its inverse K^{a\bar{b}}. However, one possible mistake that could lead to a different form of the metric is if you are not taking into account the complex conjugate when computing K^{a\bar{b}}. In the paper, they use the notation K^{a\bar{b}} to represent the inverse of K_{a\bar{b}}, which involves taking the complex conjugate of K_{a\bar{b}}. This could explain the discrepancy between your result and the one in the paper.

Another possible mistake could be in the algebraic manipulation of the terms involving \hat{\mathcal{V}} and \hat{\xi}. Make sure you are correctly distributing the powers of \hat{\mathcal{V}} and \hat{\xi} when computing the inverse metric. It might also be helpful to check your calculations with a computer algebra system to ensure accuracy.

If you are still having trouble reproducing the results, it might be helpful to consult with someone familiar with the paper or the topic of Kahler geometry. They might be able to provide further insights or point out any mistakes in your calculations.

Overall, it seems like you are on the right track and just need to double check your calculations and take into account the complex conjugate when computing K^{a\bar{b}}. I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

Related to Kahler geometry and potentials

1. What is Kahler geometry?

Kahler geometry is a type of geometry that combines the principles of Riemannian geometry and complex geometry. It is used to study manifolds with complex structures, and is often used in theoretical physics and mathematics.

2. What are Kahler potentials?

Kahler potentials are mathematical functions used in Kahler geometry to describe the local geometric properties of a manifold. They are used to calculate the curvature of a manifold and can also be used to define metrics on the manifold.

3. How are Kahler potentials related to the Kahler metric?

The Kahler potential is used to define the Kahler metric, which is a metric that preserves the complex structure of a manifold. The Kahler potential is an essential ingredient in constructing the Kahler metric.

4. What is the importance of studying Kahler geometry and potentials?

Kahler geometry and potentials have many applications in physics and mathematics, including in string theory and complex dynamics. They are also used to study the geometric properties of manifolds and can provide insights into the topology of these spaces.

5. Are there any open problems or current research in Kahler geometry and potentials?

Yes, there are still many open problems and ongoing research in Kahler geometry and potentials. Some current areas of focus include studying the geometric properties of special classes of Kahler manifolds, understanding the relationship between Kahler metrics and special holonomy manifolds, and exploring the applications of Kahler geometry in theoretical physics.