Jobs/career advice needed for IT/Computer science

hermes58
Hello everyone,

I did my studies and finished my master's in natural sciences, only to find out that the ground is too shaky and jobs/prospects are scarce. Also, after long term unemployment, I lost a little my interest in academic work. Since I have a second degree in business administration, I would like to know which (easy) IT/computer science skills could I possibly learn for home-based/flexible, stable and international opportunities in all areas but especially in finance, as it is somewhat related to business administration. I am also open to ideas for 2-year degree options. I would really appreciate your feedback. Also, I do not like routine work much, so I would prefer areas and skills offering room for self-development, diversity etc. Keep in mind that I would be a complete beginner (or stranger to be honest) and I don't have any skills at the moment.

Wishing you a nice day and thanks in advance.

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF , Hermes58. I'd suggest some type of programming. Are you knowledgeable in any?

WWGD said:
Welcome to PF , Hermes58. I'd suggest some type of programming. Are you knowledgeable in any?
Hi, thanks for your reply. I'd be an absolute beginner in IT/computer science and I have no prior knowledge. I'd appreciate detailed advice.

Honestly, I think you would be better served with a job now rather than more school.

If I saw a resume that said - "Got a degree in business, but decided I didn't want to do that. Then got a degree in science, but decided I didn't want to do that. Then got a degree/certificate/whatever in CS or IT..." I would not put it on the top of the pile.

It might also help you tailor your expectations. For example, "Home-based" and "international opportunities" are sort of polar opposites.

Vanadium 50 said:
It might also help you tailor your expectations. For example, "Home-based" and "international opportunities" are sort of polar opposites.
One exception would be a work-from-home job for international IT call center support.

Likes gwnorth
CrysPhys said:
One exception would be a work-from-home job for international IT call center support.
Maybe, but he also said "finance" and "do not like routine work". So that doesn't sound like a good match.

Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe, nut he also said "finance" and "do not like routine work". So that doesn't sound like a good match.
Work-from-home job providing IT support for a shell firm laundering money for international drug cartels. That checks all the boxes.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes Tom.G and berkeman
Hey there! Given your background and interest in avoiding routine, consider learning Python or SQL first. These are foundational for roles in data analysis within finance, offering flexibility and diversity. For a more structured path, a bootcamp in data science or web development could be ideal, aligning with your business admin background. These fields appreciate continuous learning, ensuring you'll always find new challenges to keep you engaged. Good Luck!

Likes Tom.G