Is My Algebra Fraction Simplification Correct?

In summary, the conversation is about someone seeking help with their math problem and showing their steps for solving it. They are unsure if they have done it correctly and are confused about when to expand brackets. However, upon reflection, they realize they made a mistake and apologize for any inconvenience.
Taylor_1989
I would just like someone to check my math on this, because I am not sure that I am doing it the right way. I will show step by step.

Put over common denominator: [itex] \frac{1}{x} + \frac{x}{x+y} + \frac{y}{x-y} [/itex]

1. common denominator: [itex] \frac{x^2-y^2}{x(x^2-y^2)} + \frac{x*x(x-y)}{x(x^2-y^2)}+\frac{y*x(x+y)}{x(x^2-y^2)}[/itex]

2. adding fractions: [itex]x^2-y^2 + x^2(x-y)+xy(x+y) \rightarrow x^2-y^2 + x^3-x^2y+x^2y+xy^2 \rightarrow x^3+x^2-y^2+xy^2[/itex]

The part I am confused with is that, I have to do the multiplication before I expand the brackets, now I thought you always expand the brackets first. This is why I think I have done the wrong method to get the right answer. Can someone set me right, if i have gone wrong somewhere. Big thanks in advanced.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm just confused, this looks right, but what do you mean by expanding the brackets? I don't see anything you have to expand.

I think I have confused myself a bit, but looking over what I have done I see where I thought I had got confuse, just ignore this post, I apologize for the inconvenience of this post.

Related to Is My Algebra Fraction Simplification Correct?

What is an algebra fraction?

An algebra fraction is a mathematical expression that contains a numerator, a denominator, and an operation between them. It is used to represent a portion or part of a whole number in a more precise way.

How do you simplify algebra fractions?

To simplify an algebra fraction, you need to find the greatest common factor (GCF) of the numerator and denominator. Then, divide both the numerator and denominator by the GCF to reduce the fraction to its simplest form.

What are equivalent algebra fractions?

Equivalent algebra fractions are fractions that have the same value, even though they may look different. To find equivalent fractions, you can multiply or divide both the numerator and denominator by the same number.

Can you add or subtract algebra fractions?

Yes, you can add or subtract algebra fractions as long as they have the same denominator. To add or subtract fractions with different denominators, you need to first find the common denominator by multiplying the denominators together.

Why do we need to check algebra fractions?

Checking algebra fractions is important to ensure that the fractions are simplified and in their simplest form. This helps with solving equations and making calculations easier. It also helps to avoid errors and mistakes in mathematical operations.