Is it time for Random Thoughts - Part 4?

In summary: No, I'm not going to finish that.Some guy tried to sell me eh.. recreational tools today while I was getting groceries.I guess setting up a trashy website was too costly for him, so he just sold them in the frozen foods section at walmart.
  • #2,206
zoobyshoe said:
"Impediti" seems to be the passive perfect plural. So, "We, You, or They, were not impeded (ratione) of thought". But it might also be the future tense, "We, You, Or They, will not be impeded (ratione) of thought."

http://www.verbix.com/webverbix/go.php?D1=9&T1=impediō&H1=109

"Ratione" is the ablative of ratio. Ratio = "Reckoning, account, reason, judgement, consideration, system, manner, method" The ablative has manifold functions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ablative_(Latin)

and I can't definitively sort out why it's used here, but the following prepositions take the ablative case:
  • ab, a -from
  • coram -in the presence of, before
  • cum -with
  • de -down from, from
  • ex, e -out of, from
  • in -in
  • intus -within
  • palam -openly in the presence of
  • prae -in front of, before
  • pro -before
  • procul -far from
  • simul together with, simultaneously with
  • sine -without
  • sub -under
None of these mean "by". Therefore, this phrase might actually mean something like: "We (You, They) were not impeded from the method of thought." Or, "We (You, They) will not be impeded from the method of thought." Like vowing not to let your thinking get cloudy. "Unimpeded by..." is certainly funnier, but choosing meanings based on which seems funnier might get you corrected by a Roman soldier with his gladius at your throat. Latin is exceptionally complex.

Guess if I found myself in the last situation, I would probably say something like " I'm Spartacus and I'm not encumbered by the thought process" :eek::D

Likes zoobyshoe
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2,207
I always wondered why most pop songs don't use fancy words, specially in their titles. Never heard of a title of the sort: " rambunctious utilitarian subterfuge", nor " expeditious acerbic obfuscation" in a pop song.

• #2,208
WWGD said:
I always wondered why most pop songs don't use fancy words, specially in their titles. Never heard of a title of the sort: " rambunctious utilitarian subterfuge", nor " expeditious acerbic obfuscation" in a pop song.
Try a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta. You'll find a lyric like that here and there.

• #2,209
zoobyshoe said:
ablative of ratio
Isn't that still illegal in most southern US states?

Likes WWGD
  • #2,210
Danger said:
Isn't that still illegal in most southern US states?
Hmm, no. You may be thinking of the accusative of rectus, which is rectum. I think that's still illegal in some states.

• #2,211
zoobyshoe said:
Hmm, no. You may be thinking of the accusative of rectus, which is rectum. I think that's still illegal in some states.
Oh, okay. It's really difficult to keep those terms straight some times...

• #2,212
Enigman said:
We knows.
(*cough* Venus *cough*)
Looking back at that...
http://usvsth3m.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/RgcK7rh.gif
That was terrible.

• #2,213
Danger said:
Oh, okay. It's really difficult to keep those terms straight some times...
Well, to keep them straight just remember "rectus" means "straight".

• #2,214
zoobyshoe said:
Well, to keep them straight just remember "rectus" means "straight".
Now that's just confusing...
Of course, that would explain why so many "right"-wing politicians and their followers seem to talk out of their... well, you know...

• #2,216
DennisN said:
(Maybe it would be fun with a thread collecting the funniest thread titles, hmmm...)
If irony counts as a factor, Franzbear surely must take the prize. His official title is "The Thread Killer Thread", premised around one's ability to stop a thread dead in its tracks with one ill-fated post, and it's probably about the longest thread that has ever existed here. Everybody tried to kill it. It think that it was Evo who eventually removed the feeding tube.

• #2,217
Danger said:
If irony counts as a factor, Franzbear surely must take the prize. His official title is "The Thread Killer Thread", [...]
Yes, I have read some of that thread, quite fun :D. And also the thread where a guy asked for advice after he had welded a soda can to a rug, it was priceless! Yet, regarding thread titles, I know I have seen some fun gems. I remember a thread popping up probably in the physics sections (where I mostly lurk), and the thread title was simply something like "I don't understand", no more. I read the first post and it was also just e.g. "I don't understand". I wanted to reply, but I did not know what to write o_O. But I think that thread disappeared quickly...

• #2,218
DennisN said:
and the thread title was simply something like "I don't understand", no more. I read the first post and it was also just e.g. "I don't understand". I wanted to reply, but I did not know what to write o_O. But I think that thread disappeared quickly...
Those show up a couple of times a day. Although they seem to just disappear, a Mentor has conversed with the poster to find out what is actually in question. Most of the time, it's a kid, and the question is either dealt with by the Mentor or transferred to the Homework section with a more descriptive title. No one is ever just turned away with no chance to learn (unless it's an obvious crackpot or someone outrageously rude).

Likes DennisN
  • #2,219
1. I'd be interested to know if and why MS would allow some kind of access that would allow people to avoid buying MSSQL ?
2. You want to move away from a open-standards-based programming interface (sql) to direct access to a proprietary format ?

• #2,220
Danger said:
Your photo is my desktop, remember? You could change her mind without breaking a sweat. :oldlove:
By the bye, one of my favourite tricks when I was desperate for sex was to disguise myself as a lesbian and hang out in gay bars. By the time she got me unwrapped at home and realized her mistake, it was too late... :devil:

Why don't you post a picture of your desktop?

• #2,221
Lisa! said:
Just a quick search, Danger, are one of these your desktop? :oldlove:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fimg.timeinc.net%2Ftime%2Ftime100%2F2007%2Fimages%2Flisa_randall.jpg

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.arachnoid.com%2Fartificial_womb%2Fgraphics%2FDr_Lisa_Randall.jpg

:approve:

Likes Lisa!
  • #2,223
Lisa! said:
I don't know how. :redface:

RonL said:
Just a quick search, Danger, are one of these your desktop?
No... maybe I've got the wrong woman on mine. She doesn't look like yours. If I could find the damned thing here, I'd just link to it. I'm pretty sure that it's somewhere in the Member Photo thread, but I've just spent more than 10 minutes looking and can't find it. In mine, she's wearing a loose blue shirt and jeans, hair blowing in the breeze, standing on a gravel parking lot in front of a small log building and large green pipework, with a grassy hill in the background. She looks so much like my niece that it's spooky.

• #2,224
Danger said:
I don't know how. :redface:

No... maybe I've got the wrong woman on mine. She doesn't look like yours. If I could find the damned thing here, I'd just link to it. I'm pretty sure that it's somewhere in the Member Photo thread, but I've just spent more than 10 minutes looking and can't find it. In mine, she's wearing a loose blue shirt and jeans, hair blowing in the breeze, standing on a gravel parking lot in front of a small log building and large green pipework, with a grassy hill in the background. She looks so much like my niece that it's spooky.

You mean perfection, this one :D

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Foi28.tinypic.com%2Fxfncpe.jpg

Which leaves me in a quandary :w :oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove:

e%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg.timeinc.net%252Ftime%252Ftime100%252F2007%252Fimages%252Flisa_randall.jpg

They both deserve 5 star ratings :oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove:

• #2,225
WWGD said:

Whenever I see your username, I think of the proverb "What would Jesus do?" except "What would Gibbs do?", which is a wise thing for a physicist to think about.

• #2,226
  • #2,227
RonL said:

%2F%2Fwww.physicsforums.com%2Fproxy.php%3Fimage%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Foi28.tinypic.com%252Fxfncpe.jpg
That is most assuredly the one. I had to consolidate all of my "Thumbdrive Download" folders on my desktop, which I used to transfer the contents of my old computer to this one, into one master folder so as not to interfere with her image.
tongue2-gif.gif

• #2,228
It seems that all people named Mark are smart in computer programming.

• #2,229
This sums up why I never got on Facebook. :oldlaugh:

tumblr_ng91owubGy1qdurm5o1_500.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Danger
  • #2,230
RonL said:

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Foi28.tinypic.com%2Fxfncpe.jpg

Which leaves me in a quandary :w :oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove:

e%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fimg.timeinc.net%252Ftime%252Ftime100%252F2007%252Fimages%252Flisa_randall.jpg

They both deserve 5 star ratings :oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove::oldlove:
Is she a trans-gendered person ? She looks like one.

• #2,231
Maybe you should get someone named Mark to write your program next time.

• #2,232
Borg said:
Maybe you should get someone named Mark to write your program next time.
Yes, exactly!

• #2,233
AnOldStudent said:
Not to me, she doesn't!
tongue2-gif.gif

Not "mine", at least. And since she has committed parenthood, I'm pretty sure that she isn't. I seriously can't equate that second picture; it has to be a different woman. I've known a lot of people who can alter their appearance spectacularly, and I do prosthetic/special effects make-up as a hobby, but I just can't figure that being the same person.
Lisa... feel free to clear this up at any point...

Last edited:
  • #2,234
AnOldStudent said:
!?!

I disagree. As a matter of fact, I'm having trouble expressing my disagreement. I don't even know what to say to that.

!??!.

<Gosh, now I hope you are in fact a bot. Seriously, that's just not right.>

[Edit: Btw, there is nothing wrong with being trans-gender. The point of my (this) post was only meant to communicate that in my opinion, the photographs depicted are not at all consistent with the quoted poster's claim. (Never-the-less, I find the quoted claim quite disagreeable in terms of accuracy, if I may be so bold.)]

Last edited:
  • #2,235
dipole said:
Whenever I see your username, I think of the proverb "What would Jesus do?" except "What would Gibbs do?", which is a wise thing for a physicist to think about.

If I'm not mistaken it means "What Would Gauss Do?" so you are close.

Isn't Gibbs the free energy used often in Chemistry? I rarely used any other than Helmholtz.

• #2,236
We're going to have a new election here in Sweden :H (well, actually most likely, that is). I am so very tired of politics right now :(.

Likes collinsmark
  • #2,237
collinsmark said:
in my opinion, the photographs depicted are not at all consistent with the quoted poster's claim. (Never-the-less, I find the quoted claim quite disagreeable in terms of accuracy, if I may be so bold.)]
Dare I ask what the hell you're talking about? What poster's claim? I just remembered that at some point Lisa presented that photo and identified it as herself. Do you know something about her that we don't, such as her being a 6'6" Lithuanian lumberjack pretending to be a girl? Most of the people here are honest about their appearance. (Well, I know for sure that if I were going to fake it I wouldn't have submitted the picture that I did. I don't look exactly like that any more, but close enough to be recognized.)

JorisL said:
Isn't Gibbs the free energy used often in Chemistry?
Maybe this is what separates the scientists from the mundanes... to me "What Would Gibbs Do?" is simply the standard go-to strategy for the characters on NCIS.

DennisN said:
We're going to have a new election here in Sweden
Hey, I didn't know that there were Swedes in the house. I must thank your country for something that is currently making me happy. I've been thinking about starting a GD thread about "Awesome TV shows that you've never heard of". What prompted it is that last month Space started airing a Swedish series entitled "Real Humans". Jeez, but I love that show! The only thing that I don't like about it is that I have to watch it from the toilet because the high-def digital flatscreen 1 metre away from my face in the bathroom is the only TV I have on which I can read the subtitles. I almost think that I might prefer to have it dubbed into English.

Likes JorisL
  • #2,238
Hey, that saddens me!

• #2,239
Medicol said:
Hey, that saddens me!
:oldconfused:

• #2,240
Danger said:
Do you know something about her that we don't, such as her being a 6'6" Lithuanian lumberjack pretending to be a girl?
What in the world !?? :confused: <I have no words.> ??!?