Intersecting subspaces in N dimensions

In summary, the intersection of two subspaces, U and W, of dimension two in an N-dimensional space results in either a straight line, a single point, or no intersection at all, depending on the value of N. This can be proven through the understanding that the intersection of two vector subspaces is a vector subspace of each, and thus the dimension of the intersection will always be 0, 1, or 2. The specific outcome is determined by the definition of the spaces and how they intersect within the larger space.
pat_connell
Hey guys,

I have a little problem here:

given two subspaces U and W both of dimension two of an N dimensional space show in general that if N = 3 the intersection of U and W forms a curve; if N = 4 a finite number of points; and N > 4 they do not in general intersect at all.

I can kind of visualize the answer for the first two cases based on analagous cases lines viewed in R2 and R3, but I am not really satisfied with the answers.

I would like a really rigorous maths proof.

please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are yuo talking vector (sub)spaces here or something else?

I'll assume vector space since you're talking about dimension.

The interesection of two vector subspaces is a vector subspace of each. So the interesection is going to be either 0,1, or 2 dimensional irrespective of the ambient space, and thus the alleged curve is in fact a straight line, the "finite number of points" is in fact a single point

Now, all you need to do is formally tell us what you mean by space subspace and generally, ie do you mean picked at random where random has sort of greater meaning? Then we might be able to give a better answer.

Yes I am talkig about vector subspaces and vector spaces and possibly even topological spaces.

But its alright i think I've figured out the answer

Related to Intersecting subspaces in N dimensions

1. What are intersecting subspaces in N dimensions?

Intersecting subspaces in N dimensions refer to the overlapping regions between two or more vector spaces of the same dimension. These subspaces can be visualized as planes, lines, or points in N-dimensional space.

2. How do you determine if two subspaces in N dimensions intersect?

To determine if two subspaces in N dimensions intersect, you can use the following criteria:

• Check if the dimensions of the subspaces are the same.
  • Find a basis for each subspace and check if they have any common vectors.
  • Use the intersection formula, where the dimension of the intersection is equal to the sum of the dimensions of the subspaces minus the dimension of their sum.

3. Can intersecting subspaces in N dimensions have more than one point of intersection?

Yes, intersecting subspaces in N dimensions can have multiple points of intersection. This occurs when the subspaces have a dimension greater than one and their basis vectors are not linearly dependent.

4. How does the concept of intersecting subspaces in N dimensions relate to linear algebra?

The concept of intersecting subspaces in N dimensions is an important aspect of linear algebra. It involves the study of vector spaces and their properties, which are essential in solving systems of linear equations, finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors, and many other applications in mathematics, science, and engineering.

5. Can two subspaces in N dimensions intersect at a single point?

Yes, two subspaces in N dimensions can intersect at a single point. This occurs when the subspaces have a dimension of zero, meaning they are both just single points in N-dimensional space. In this case, the point of intersection is simply the common point of both subspaces.